PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new .45

McDiddles
01-23-12, 16:03
I'm coming up on my 21st birthday and I'm looking for some suggestions on any .45's that any of you recommend. I'm primarily looking for one to use at the range/protection and for conceal and carry. I'm still quite new to this whole world and have only shot a fair amount of assault rifles and a small amount of handguns but hopefully I can learn much more after I purchase my own.

obucina
01-23-12, 16:06
HK45C, maybe?

Grizzly16
01-23-12, 16:08
What guns have you shot and liked/not liked? What is your budget?

masakari
01-23-12, 16:13
Go to a gunstore and see what feels good to you. Check out 1911s, Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, and all that double action crap and see what fits you best.

loupav
01-23-12, 16:52
...and all that double action crap and see what fits you best.

Just when I was going to suggest an HK45! LOL I suppose an HK45/c with LEM Trigger?

KCBRUIN
01-23-12, 17:06
Why are you choosing .45? If you're stuck on .45 I say HK 45c or m&p midsize .45.

You'd be better off with a Glock 19 tho.

skyugo
01-23-12, 17:45
Why are you choosing .45? If you're stuck on .45 I say HK 45c or m&p midsize .45.

You'd be better off with a Glock 19 tho.

or a p2000, p30 or m&p 9...
9 is a much cheaper way to build proficiency, and proficiency trumps caliber.

Noodle
01-23-12, 18:10
I have had an HK45C and an HK45. Both fine guns. However, my only 45 now is a 1911.

For your first hand gun, consider a 9mm. Cheap ammo so you can shoot more often. Check out http://www.best9mm.com/

Good luck!

mrosamilia
01-23-12, 18:18
Love my 1911 and HK45CT

F-Trooper05
01-23-12, 18:22
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95930

CDR_Glock
01-23-12, 18:29
I have 3 45 ACPs.

Glock 36
Glock 30
Mars Armament THUG Colt 1911

I recommend a Glock 30. Accurate and soft recoil.

Lifetime NRA Member

bigghoss
01-23-12, 19:18
I like 1911s but they can be a cold-hearted mistress. I would not recommend you buy a 1911 for a first pistol. 9mm would be a better place to start but if you're dead set on it, glock or M&P. or track down a ruger P90 or P97 for a good cheap .45. German-made sig P220s are also hard to beat.

dmaxfireman
01-23-12, 19:40
I love both my M&P's

45 mid frame
9mm compact

Both have APEX DCAEK trigger kits. They are ergonomic and comfortable to shoot for me.

Hogsgunwild
01-23-12, 20:07
The HK-45C (Compact) is very accurate and very reliable. It is also good to go out of the box for the most part. You need to put some rounds through it just to make sure you didn't get the rare lemon but it really doesn't need any upgrading, right off the bat. It is a shooter friendly gun, to me. In other words, I have a hard time having a bad day at the range with the HK-45C. That says a lot because I can have bad days with most guns.

The M&P 45 Compact and Midsize (which I own) would be my second choice / recommendation. I would not recommend them without one of the Apex Tactical kits to help the trigger as the stock triggers are somewhat lame. Thus, they are my second recommendation.
The M&P-45C is the same 8+1 capacity and basically the same size as the HK-45C. Easy to conceal, even for a person somewhat new to packing.

A 9MM (as mentioned previously) is not a bad choice (you can have both, the .45 and 9MM) and the H&K P30 and M&P 9MM are very loveable. They will do you right also. Don't forget Apex on the M&P.

120mm
01-23-12, 20:44
Go to a gunstore and see what feels good to you. Check out 1911s, Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, and all that double action crap and see what fits you best.

I find this to be bad advice. I don't think someone who is inexperienced in handguns has the background to make a competent selection based on what "feels good" in the hand.

Frankly, avoid that XD crap, and if you aren't experienced, don't buy a 1911 style pistol. You need to have a minimum emotional investment and skill to run a 1911.

The best advice is to purchase something that is standard to develop skill on. And I would not recommend a .45 acp for that, either.

Glock 17/19, M&P, Walther P99/PPQ and/or anything H&K that is currently made.

Get competent instruction, unless you just want to be pimpin' and aim it sideways.

Then, once you've developed competency, and decide that one of those industry standards do not "fit" you, sell it (and a standard gun will be easier to sell) and buy something you KNOW will work. Because by then, you will know what you are doing.

TehLlama
01-23-12, 21:44
You need to have a minimum emotional investment and skill to run a 1911.

Then, once you've developed competency, and decide that one of those industry standards do not "fit" you, sell it (and a standard gun will be easier to sell) and buy something you KNOW will work. Because by then, you will know what you are doing.

I'd argue that 1911's require at least two of the following: a deep emotional attachment, willingness to acquire armorer level skill, and deep pockets. All three to really be happy with them, and at that the HK45, M&P45, and .45 GenIV Glocks are still more practical options.

I would still recommend a G19, get 500 rounds of high end 124gr Gold Dot or Bonded JHP Ranger as defense stuff, and 2000 rounds of cheap FMJ, with a good holster, X300, and spare mags and mag carrier before I'd consider recommending a worthwhile 1911.

If you still want .45, the M&P45 is the most reasonable one as far as cost - 45ACP, and costs associated with it are what have driven me to handloading/reloading, and more a result of my passion for the 1911 platform than any functional reason - a well constructed 9mm bullet will keep up, and from a platform like a G19 or M&P9, you've got twice as many on board.

bigghoss
01-24-12, 03:33
I'd argue that 1911's require at least two of the following: a deep emotional attachment, willingness to acquire armorer level skill, and deep pockets. All three to really be happy with them

Owning a 1911 is like owning an old classic car. You have to love it despite the downsides and you should know how to work on it yourself or find someone who knows what they're doing and takes pride in their work.

Cosmo M3
01-24-12, 08:31
HK45C

Moltke
01-24-12, 08:39
I find this to be bad advice. I don't think someone who is inexperienced in handguns has the background to make a competent selection based on what "feels good" in the hand.

Frankly, avoid that XD crap, and if you aren't experienced, don't buy a 1911 style pistol. You need to have a minimum emotional investment and skill to run a 1911.

The best advice is to purchase something that is standard to develop skill on. And I would not recommend a .45 acp for that, either.

Get competent instruction, unless you just want to be pimpin' and aim it sideways.

Now THIS is good advice.

markm
01-24-12, 08:51
The FNP 45 is amazazzing. My next 45 for sure.

t1tan
01-24-12, 09:44
The only .45 I have any interest in is the HK45c.

skyugo
01-24-12, 11:36
I love both my M&P's

45 mid frame
9mm compact

Both have APEX DCAEK trigger kits. They are ergonomic and comfortable to shoot for me.

Actually the M&Ps are some of my favorite handguns. The latest versions have even fixed the crappy trigger. much more positive and crisp than the early versions. I'm heavily invested in glock (training, mags, holsters) but I'm going to go M&P in a few years.

the m&p45 is awesome too, right up there with the HK imho.

RGraff
01-24-12, 11:51
HK, no doubt. My favorite is the USP .45c.

Only negative I can offer for them is the proprietary rail and the over-sized trigger guard. The size of the trigger guard moves a tac light forward enough that it's difficult to reach your on/off control without adjusting your grip.

Rana
01-24-12, 12:39
I agree with the Glock 19 sentament. This gun makes sense for most.

WTBS I am a 1911 nut and pay the price to still utilized this very shootable pistol. Still, I don't recommend it to most based on the cost, dedication, and time that goes in to running one (which really means you have at least 2 working guns [or in my case half a dozen!]).

If it has to be a .45 then I echo the HK45C as well; even with its pitfalls it is in my opinion the best option "cookie cutter" .45 available.

gtmtnbiker98
01-24-12, 14:02
I agree with the Glock 19 sentament. This gun makes since for most.

WTBS I am a 1911 nut and pay the price to still utilized this very shootable pistol. Still, I don't recommend it to most based on the cost, dedication, and time that goes in to running one (which really means you have at least 2 working guns [or in my case half a dozen!]).

If it has to be a .45 then I echo the HK45C as well; even with its pitfalls it is in my opinion the best option "cookie cutter" .45 available.
What pitfalls? Just curious.

Spurholder
01-24-12, 14:08
I wish that someone had pointed me in the direction of a Glock 19 (then just on the market) when I started getting into handguns.

I'd probably still have it. Along with several thousand bucks in the bank.

Ah, who I am kidding? Girls and booze would've gotten it.

DocGKR
01-24-12, 14:12
M&P45, 4th gen G21, HK45c.

However, unless you get free .45 ACP ammo, need to shoot through some intermediate barriers like auto windshields, potentially have to shoot med size animals, or live in a state that restricts magazine capacity, strongly consider a quality 9mm like a 3rd gen G19, M&P9, or HK P30. For CCW and most urban LE duty, there are a lot of advantages in carrying a 9mm--easy to shoot one handed, relatively inexpensive to practice with, lots of bullets. When I injured my strong hand a few years ago and lost its use for several months, I found out how much more effective I was using a G19 weak handed compared to a 1911...

Rana
01-24-12, 14:45
What pitfalls? Just curious.

HK support, or lack there of. Mostly in the case of replacement parts.

Cost of accessories. $50 mags can start to set you back...

Lack luster DA Trigger. Comparatively speaking, HK gets a "C-" in the DA trigger department.

Limited aftermarket accessories and holsters (Lets face it- we live in a Glock World; though SIG and the M&P line also give you an abundance of accessory options).

Moltke
01-24-12, 14:52
Lets face it- we live in a Glock World.

Love it.

LDM
01-24-12, 16:31
If you do not require >8 rounds, you might take a look at the single stack Kahr 45's.
I recently purchased a TP 45 that is about the same size factor as a Colt Commander. And I really like this weapon. It handles well and has functioned perfectly since the first round. (sidebar- the full size Kahrs do not seem to have some of the break-in issues of the smaller Kahrs, e.g. PM9)
It has a striker and a long trigger pull, which to me is much like a smooth double action revolver.
Doc mentioned how much easier he found the 9mm vs the 45 for weak hand. These single stack Kahrs have a compact grip that I can get my hand around for a secure grip. Even though I do not have small hands, I never felt I could get a secure one hand grip on the double stack 45's (I had and traded a SIG 220 and M&P 45) Both hands was not problematic, but there might be that time that one hand shooting is needed. One hand is not a problem for me with the Kahr.
YMMV, good luck.

TacticalSledgehammer
01-24-12, 22:23
I've got a Glock 21SF (45 acp)and love it. I've gone through many pistols (not really a true hand gun nut) I also have a G27 for carry purposes. I'm not sure that you'll really find the perfect range gun and carry piece in one package, but it may be possible.

With this said I'd recommend the 21sf but you might want something more compact to carry.

Magic_Salad0892
01-25-12, 03:44

Great advice.

Also, don't listen to anybody who says ''Just get what you shoot best.''

Who knows... you might shoot a Lorcin better than a P30.

Define your mission, weigh your options (IMHO Glock 19, HK P30, M&P, S&W SD9 maybe, FNH FNS-9, or Walther PPQ), decide which one has the best balance of attributes you want.

Accuracy, reliability, shootability, durability, aftermarket support, ease of finding magazines (see: aftermarket support), possible utility as a suppressor host (if that's your mission), comfort, ease of maintenance, ease of operation, ease of modification/tuning (see: polymer pistol frame enhancements, like Cold Bore Customs G19 work), etc.

Those are examples.

.45 may not be the best option. I would go with 9x19mm as your primary pistol for multiple reasons:

Magazine capacity
Cost of defensive, and training ammo
Better suppressor host
Good hollow point loads, that can be equal to or better than .45 loads,
Recoil
Parts life
One handed, or off handed (or both) manipulation
Weapon profile
etc.

I've posted about the merits of 9x19mm before. I can repost if desired.

JonInWA
01-25-12, 07:54
Based on my personal experience, Glock G21; while I have a Gen 3 that I've been very pleased with, I think that the Gen4 is the way to go-it's the quiet success story of the Gen4 releases-I've literally heard of zero problems to date. While a Gen 3 G21/G21 SF is hardly a bad choice, the Gen4 gives you more grip options and a better receiver grip surface, plus the more elongated/accessible magazine release (also reversable if needed).

Based on observation and recommendations of others that I trust, I also suggest HK 445/45C (with the latter having a slight edge over the former, due to better size proportionality and grip configuration), and M&P 45.

I do not recommend a 1911 pattern pistol, other than as a botique/hobby/barbecue gun. For serious, heavy, dependable, low maintenance, reliable and durable service, I'd stick with one of the recommendations above.

Best, Jon

JonInWA
01-25-12, 07:55
Whoops-The dreaded infamous double post-sorry, guys.