PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

Kilozz
01-23-12, 16:42
Im new to the forum. Im going to purchase a bcm m4 carbine, my first carbine in about a week or so ( I currently only own a glock 22). Just by browsing around the forum I have an idea of how to clean(basic not detailed), and take apart(pretty much how to take upper off lower, bcg, etc.) a carbine, chose an optic ( im going with an aimpoint 512, seems like pretty good bang for buck) and apparently go to grant over at g & r tactical when Im ready for my purchase (bcm carbines are a pain to find complete and some websites look shady). For that i thank this forum. But I do have a question. I want a sling, but I want to know the diffrence between a 2 point and 3 point sling? Any little will help thanks.

MistWolf
01-23-12, 17:09
Welcome to the forum. Peruse the stickies at the top of each forums for some basic details including cleaning, maintenance, field stripping and lubing. The search button is your friend. M4Carbine can be rough on noobies; it's kinda like a Riff Raff bump at the start of a trail, a big bump you need to get over that's put there to keep the riff raff out.

Run-on sentences makes folks eyeballs glaze over. Punctuation is also your friend.

BCM is a good choice

Wake27
01-23-12, 17:23
Seems like you've already done a decent bit of research. There was a video I saw yesterday I think where someone highspeed mentioned 2 and 3 point slings. Not sure if I can find it, but go with a 2 point over 3. Or a combo 1/2 point. 3 point slings get in the way more than anything, IMO. And whoever it was on the video (Haley or Howe maybe) said the same thing.

Kilozz
01-23-12, 17:31
Thanks Mistwolf for the heads up. Also to Wake27 thanks for the info. I heard about 3 point slings getting caught on gear but didn't know any further than that. I'll keep an eye out for that video .

Wake27
01-23-12, 17:48
I'm trying to figure out what it was, but basically he said they're left over from the MP5 era I think. From my limited personal experience, they're just too complicated and have too much going on. I think most shooters would agree too, as there are very few 3-point slings on the market by solid companies. VTAC, Magpul, Vickers, and Blue Force Gear are some companies that have decent slings that come to my mind. I think Vickers and BFG may have come together to make theirs but can't remember.

LTMattyL
01-23-12, 18:52
Im new to the forum. Im going to purchase a bcm m4 carbine, my first carbine in about a week or so ( I currently only own a glock 22). Just by browsing around the forum I have an idea of how to clean(basic not detailed), and take apart(pretty much how to take upper off lower, bcg, etc.) a carbine, chose an optic ( im going with an aimpoint 512, seems like pretty good bang for buck) and apparently go to grant over at g & r tactical when Im ready for my purchase (bcm carbines are a pain to find complete and some websites look shady). For that i thank this forum. But I do have a question. I want a sling, but I want to know the diffrence between a 2 point and 3 point sling? Any little will help thanks.

Did you mean an EOTech 512? In the end you can't really go wrong with EOTech or Aimpoint; however, you will find the Aimpoint fans much more outspoken here.

Forget you have ever heard of a 3 point sling. Pick one up and it will take you about 5 minutes to figure out how to put it on your rifle. I can't count the number of times I have watched people trying to put them on their rifle. You definatly want to get a 2 point. I used a single point for a while but I have seen the light and use 2 point slings now.

Smash
01-23-12, 19:48
Did you mean an EOTech 512?

haha I thought I'd let that one go.

Kilozz
01-24-12, 00:37
Ha! Yeah I meant an eotech, it took me about a month to figure out what optic I wanted, its impossible to choose based on this forum cause theres always that argument between the two. So I went to a local gun shop and checked them out for myself. I did more research on a 3 point sling, and the more I find out the more Im leaning towards a 2 point. Much much easier.