PDA

View Full Version : Storing loaded Pmags w/o the clip-on cap?

Univibe
01-23-12, 17:22
Magpul says you must use the clip on doodad when storing loaded.

What say ya'll who have actual loaded Pmag experience?

nimdabew
01-23-12, 17:29
I have about 17 PMAGs without the snap caps on. They still work fine. I won't buy anything except the black PMAGs though.

Stickman
01-23-12, 17:32
Magpul says you must use the clip on doodad when storing loaded.

What say ya'll who have actual loaded Pmag experience?

I've missed the part where Magpul says you must use it.

nimdabew
01-23-12, 18:01

I believe the first gen PMAGs had a warning or something that said something to this effect.

Dozer
01-23-12, 18:03

As do I.:confused:

Wake27
01-23-12, 18:11
I have about 17 PMAGs without the snap caps on. They still work fine. I won't buy anything except the black PMAGs though.

Why only black?

Hmac
01-23-12, 18:13
I don't bother with the caps.

nimdabew
01-23-12, 18:34
It is implied with this press release from 2007.

http://www.magpul.com/pdfs/PMAGPress.pdf

4thPointOfContact
01-23-12, 18:46

Why only black?
All the colors besides black require different materials that will slightly degrade the strength of the magazine.
Not by much, but still more than 'no degradation.' Have you noticed that clear and translucent magazines don't seem to perform as well as solid color ones?

matemike
01-23-12, 18:52
Sounds like a "back-bone" for the manufacturer. In case one does hang up or the lips warp and bend out. They'll result to saying you should have....

Unless you lost them...why not? They will prevent crap from falling in there. Like if you're using them in heavy brush.

But, did you, yourself, actually read that recommendation?

RogerinTPA
01-23-12, 19:07
I've have Pmags with and without the caps, and USGI mags loaded going on 5 years now. I inspected all of the mags and test fired a few of both a year or so ago. They functioned as advertised. As others have stated, it's not required.

markm
01-23-12, 19:10
Toss the covers. No need.

Kokopelli
01-23-12, 19:36
looks to me like the only viable use would be to prevent or limit damage if dropped.. JMO.. Ron

Smash
01-23-12, 19:45
I find the caps in random places all over my house all the time. I never bother with them except to take them off as soon as the PMag leaves the package.

Abraxas
01-23-12, 19:49
I find the caps in random places all over my house all the time. I never bother with them except to take them off as soon as the PMag leaves the package.

You too huh.

Jake'sDad
01-23-12, 19:55

I thought they were just for shipping....;)

nimdabew
01-23-12, 19:58
You too huh.

It is funny. You can never find them when you need them, but when you aren't looking for them, you tend to step on them while wearing socks...

Iraqgunz
01-23-12, 20:01
This pretty much covers the other 100 similar discussions about magazines, spring wear and such.