PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P 340 compared to other J-Frames?

Guinnessman
01-23-12, 17:38
I am looking to buy a J-Frame and I am looking at the M&P 340, 442, and 642. The 340 looks and feels awesome, but I am not sure I can justify the $300 price difference from the others.

The front sight and the 357 Mag capability are the only differences that I can see, and the only one I would care to have is the front sight.

What do you all think? Spend more on the 340 or go with the other J-Frames?

Slvr Surfr
01-23-12, 19:40
FWIW, that particular gun is the single most miserable revolver I have ever shot. I fired one that belongs to a friend using full house .357 mag ammo. Two rounds and my hand was bleeding.

If you need the .357 mag then consider the LCR. Otherwise for .38 spcl the LCR, 442, or 642 should suit you fine.

El Cid
01-23-12, 21:11
I love mine! Had it for about 2yrs now. Yes, shooting 357 magnums through any air weight snubby will hurt. I did it just to see how it felt. It was uncomfortable when the trigger guard hit my trigger finger during recoil. But I shoot/carry 38Spl +P and it's great!

To me the front sight and U notch rear were worth it. I'd buy a couple more for family members if I had the funds. It goes just about everywhere I do (can't carry it on duty).

I highly recommend it. Only thing I would do differently is get the model w/o the lock. That wasn't an option when I got mine.

ETA: they had the foresight to install a piece of steel in the top strap. Over time the flame can cut it and render a revolver useless. This is more common in air weights. Most of us won't shoot a snubby enough to worry about it but if you do, they can slide a new piece of steel into the dovetail and avoid permanent damage to the weapon.

SmokeJumper
01-23-12, 22:11
It's a great gun, the j-frames are excellent BUG guns and great little packing wheel guns. That being said you won't be carrying or shooting .357 mag loads out of this gun except to only try it once, most wouldn't try it twice. The major two things in difference with an airweight- 442/642 models and 340 series, would be the weight, minimally noticeable if at all, and the front sight options. If you just have to have the ti cylinder and scandium frame and have some extra cash to throw down on one, go for it. Otherwise, from personal carry/use experience with the 442/642's, get one of them and spend the extra $ on practice ammo. Or if you can, find a used clean scandium j-frame as a cheaper alternate. Just my .02.

PD Sgt.
01-23-12, 22:23
I am also very pleased with my 340. I use it as a back-up at work, and the light weight, ability to handle the higher power loads (the Dept. I work for issues +P .38) without worry, and the front night sight make it worthwhile for me.

I have fired full house .357 magnum rounds through it, and it is admittedly not very pleasant.

If you only care about the front night sight, and the .357 capability is not a requirement, it might be more cost effective to find an airweight with a pinned front sight (that you can have a night sight installed in). If you do spend the extra cash on the 340, you will at least know the pistol is overbuilt for your usual (.38 Spl.) usage.

Preliator
01-23-12, 22:35
Disagree,
I shoot .357 125 Gr Golddots just fine out of my 340PD. My hand starts to get sore at the palm some where around 50 rounds. I cut my knuckle once while shooting.

Crimson Trace makes some pretty good laser grips that also have a padded backstrap. if you are going to drop that kind of money on any J frame I would highly recomend one. The LG-305 is the extended grip, the LG-405 is the short grip. I shoot mine with the short grip.

You dont need the .357 mag, you dont get a whole lot of extra performance out of the cartridge. Unless you have a specific application you want the .357 for (I do) I would suggest get it in .38 spcl and still get the crimson trace grips.

fourXfour
01-23-12, 23:15
I absolutely love my 340M&P. I carry it everywhere off duty and as a backup on duty. At times I like carrying something with higher capacity, but I always come back to the 340M&P.

I have owned a 642 and 442. I sold the 642 to fund the 340. I kept the 442 as a spare, but ended up selling it to a friend because he really liked it. They are great guns as well, but the sight on the 340M&P is very nice.

I have tried the LCR and the Hogue tamer grip is really nice. Even with the lighter trigger pull, I shot my 340 much better.

skyugo
01-24-12, 00:07
why not go with the 342 if you have no interest in shooting magnum loads?

Sgt_Gold
01-24-12, 10:21
I have a 340PD that I use for at least 50% of my carry time. While I'll admit that .357 is a bit much through such a light pistol, it's far from unmanageable or uncontrollable. Here are my suggestions for comfort and proficiency:

I use Pachmayr Compact S&W J RB PK3252 grips. They are longer than the stock grip, but they cover the back strap which is a major source of discomfort for me.

I stumbled upon what I call the Miculek grip. I'd like to take credit for it but I think Jerry thought of it first. It's the second to last picture in the link.

http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

Wad cutters make excellent practice rounds. On top of being gentle to shoot they require you to develop your speed loader skills.

I haven't tried CT laser grips, but everything I've read on them is positive.

Guinnessman
01-24-12, 21:51
Thanks for all the replies. I will be shopping for a J-frame this week, and I am leaning toward a 642/442 because of the price.

Alaskapopo
02-03-12, 04:04
Love my 340. However I shoot it with Speers Short Barrel 135 grain Gold dot which is only a tad more than the .38 load in power. I don't mind it with .357 mag reloads using 110 grain bullets but most of the time I am shooting .38 level reloads out of it in .357 mag cases. I don't like having to switch between .38 and .357 mag cases. http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Revolvers/Smith340.jpg
Pat

KCBRUIN
02-03-12, 14:19
I think the 340 with full house load .357s is the hardest hitting most hateful revolver in a major caliber on the market. I love it tho. The LCR has a much lighter trigger, and beefier grips if you haven't looked at it yet.

I shot 10 rounds of Hornaday CD in .357 out of my 340 at a fast pace, and my hand hurt for a week. I had a bruise covering most of my palm.

its hateful.

ThreeFingerPete
07-04-12, 13:27
I have a 360pd and with the ridiculously small grips that come on the gun, stout .357 loads are brutal. However, by having the ability to run .357, you've got a lot of room to shoot rounds from the hottest .38+p ~300ft/lbs to stupid hot .357 ~600 ft/lbs. The milder side of .357 ~450-475ft/lbs are considerably milder than the hot stuff and still have a lot more energy than the hottest .38+p. That's enough for me, I like flexibility.

kmrtnsn
07-04-12, 14:43
I have a 340PD that I won't go anywhere without. I normally shoot Speer .38Special +P's through it. Great shooting pistol and the light weight cannot be beat, especially in an ankle glove.

JodyH
07-04-12, 15:23
I have a 360 Sc-Ti that I bobbed the hammer, removed the lock, added a Apex trigger kit and a XS Big Dot front sight... and pink Hogue grips. :p
It makes a great BUG/pocket gun.
I carry mine loaded with .38 special Winchester 148gr. full wad cutters.
Not pleasant to shoot with .357's, but the .38 wad cutters are a breeze.
Loaded with the wad cutters it weighs 13.75 oz.

KCBRUIN
07-04-12, 17:06
I added the apex kit to my 340 a few months ago. Well the smith at the LGS did. Makes a dramatic improvement in trigger pull.

ladders1901
07-07-12, 08:49
My wife and I both have 340s and love them. I have carried mine for many years with the .38 Special 135 grain Speer Gold Dots. Shooting .357s through them is not fun, but the big advantage as I've explained to my wife, is that it can fire both cartridges. Should she/we ever find ourselves in a gunfight and a bunch of .38 and .357 cartridges fall on the floor (an exaggeration to make a point) she can stuff them in her gun and at least fight. Can also be used with .357s as a woods gun if necessary.

The light weight, rust resistant materials and flexibility are the big pluses.

GLOCKMASTER
07-07-12, 17:22
I have a 340 and it's the first revolver I've ever owned for concealed carry. I really like it and carry it in a Kramer Pocket Gun Holster (http://www.kramerleather.com/productDetail.cfm?productID=25&categoryID=28) when I carry it. I have no regret, I enjoy carrying it and I use SPEER Gold Dots for carry ammunition.

Nemecsek
07-07-12, 17:32
I love my 340PD. I shot Speer Gold Dot 135 .357 mags recently and they were not too bad. Just a tad stouter than 38+p. I like the flexability in loading the mags when I feel I need them.

NCMedic
07-07-12, 18:11
I bought the .38 Bodyguard for a pocket carry, then the wife confiscated it, bought a used 442 to replace it.... It's in my pocket pretty much every day except for work. I added the CT Laser Grips and the Apex Tactical J Frame kit.
No complaints other than I wish it had the ability to replace the front sight with a XS Big Dot....
Don't see the need for the .357 in a snubbie, more recoil and not a whole lot to be gained, but that's me.

Sent from this... Using that...

doro19
07-14-12, 11:44
I had one and sold it. I regretted selling it , and, fortunately, had the oppurtunity of buying it back. I load it with Critical Defense 110 +P or Boffalo Bore standard pressure 158 LSWCHP. If I want to load a J frame with 357 mag, I'll carry my 640.

Big A
07-24-12, 13:14
I have one. The only .357 rounds I shoot out of it are the Speer Gold Dots for the short barrels and Hornady Critical Defense. Anything like Remmington UMC or Federal, etc hurt too damn much.

I carry mine either in my weak side pocket or strong side appendix carry. I keep .38+P's in it and two spare speed loaders of .357.

Alaskapopo
07-25-12, 22:50
FWIW, that particular gun is the single most miserable revolver I have ever shot. I fired one that belongs to a friend using full house .357 mag ammo. Two rounds and my hand was bleeding.

If you need the .357 mag then consider the LCR. Otherwise for .38 spcl the LCR, 442, or 642 should suit you fine.

You don't have to fire it with full house mag loads. I use mine with 357 short barrel loads which are just a tad hotter than 38 +p loads.
Pat http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Revolvers/Smith340.jpg

.357sigger
07-31-12, 16:12
I just picked up a 340pd (no lock)... I can't wait to go to the range and try it out :D

GLOCKMASTER
07-31-12, 19:51
I've had a 340 for a while now amd I really like it. I usually carry it in a Kramer Pocket Gun holster. I wouldn't hesitate in buying it again. Also I will admit that it can be a handful.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n355/STR8SHTER/DSC_0514.jpg

tctlrld
07-31-12, 20:26
I had the same conundrum. I would have liked a 340 but ended up buying a 442 (no-lock). I like the tritium front sight of the 340, but since I'd shoot .38 Spl out of both I decided the front sight wasn't worth $300+.

Warp
08-08-12, 18:54
Having fired multiple boxes of Buffalo Bore .38spl +P LSWCHP out of my 642 with stock grips I want NO PART of a 340 with that round or any .357.

For most off the shelf .38spl "+P" rounds it would probably be pretty sweet though. I might get one some day.

fowler
08-09-12, 07:45
I am not a fan of the SW340 in 357mag its a wild child to hold and shoot accurate repeat shots. I prefer the SW 442 &642 no-lock with good +P ammo in 125-135gr. hp bullets. There accurate and fast in double tap combat shooting. I like the black 442 finnish for ccw without the shine. If you want a effective 357 mag snubby try the Ruger Sp101 2 "or 3" powerhouse.

PA PATRIOT
08-09-12, 11:00
I would recommend a S&W 337 which disappears in the pocket and is so light weight I forget its there.

Very good accuracy and when loaded with FMJ 148gr Full Wad-Cutters moving at to 850fps I'm guaranteed deep penetration and the sharp shoulders on the leading edge cut a lot of tissue.

The 337's can be found on the used market at good prices.

Psalms144.1
08-09-12, 18:22
To me it depends on the application you're looking for.

If this revolver will be STRICTLY a "get off me" BUG, then I don't think the 340 is worth the extra cash.

If you ever intend to carry this as a primary defensive revolver, then I would DEFINITELY spring the extra cash - the sight set up alone is worth the price difference, IMHO. The ability to fire .357 is another plus if you're recoil tolerant.

FWIW, I had a 340 M&P, and it was probably the best J-frame I ever owned. I seriously regret parting with it, even though I have a 642 no-lock to fill the BUG roll...

Regards,

Kevin

CobraBG
08-10-12, 16:44
I used to have a S&W Model 60 and traded it for a Model 342. Though I liked the 60 it didn't really work well in a pocket holster with the weight and exposed hammer. The 342 is perfect for that, I load it with .38 +P and carry it in a Desantis pocket holster. The light weight is a huge plus and I feel comfortable carrying it at times when my attire doesn't allow me to carry my usual Glock 30SF in a IWB holster.