PDA

View Full Version : I hate these what would you do threads - but, what would you do?

Scotter260
01-23-12, 23:28
I don't like these threads usually and apologize for this one but If you had:

1. a well-used but problem free refinished large FCG Colt A2 Gov't Carbine lower and
2. a new complete PSA lower

and were going to sell one (we'll say the money obtained for either will be the same) and with the one kept were going to add a new 6720 upper to serve the role as merely a back-up, which would you choose to keep?

My preference is to keep the Colt lower but I'm just curious if folks consider the large FCG Colt lower to be less desireable than the PSA lower or if there are problems that need to be known, other than non-standard pins (take-down pins are standard), about older Colt lowers.

Any opinions are appreciated.

I will still make up my own mind but I'd just like to know if there's something I'm not seeing or considering.

rundm
01-24-12, 02:29
I had the same question but with a diff second lower receiver. I decided to make a build on one of my old Colt SP1 lowers with the big hole up front. I was on the fence about whether I should do this or not also. I decided to go ahead and use mine because I can get a DD big hole upper to fit right onto the lower. If it were me, I would stay with the Colt but some don't like the fact that you have that big hole up there cause its not the same as the rest of the stuff. If I'm not mistaken I think the DD comes with a push pin. This kind of makes it a mute point to me. Still kind of depends on what you want. I don't know much about the other lower of yours but I do know about the Colts. Just my .02 cents.

jet66
01-24-12, 06:47
If you only have the lower, and not a complete rifle, I'd sell the large-pin Colt. I'd rather have everything (AR) I own be compatible/interchangeable. I own a large pivot (but standard FCG pins) Colt, but it's a whole rifle. It's been trouble-free for about 20 years now, so I've got no complaints on the quality.

markm
01-24-12, 07:58
If you're worried about those large FCG pins being TOO STRONG, Sell it! :jester:

Failure2Stop
01-24-12, 13:06
If the PSA works, I would keep it and launch the Colt.
My reasoning is that large pin FCGs and pins are more difficult to find than standard, and if the PSA is functioning then the difference in pedigree is moot.

Scotter260
01-27-12, 14:09
I appreciate the responses.

Since it's a friend and it's his first AR I decided on keeping the Colt, no sense in saddling him with the non-standard pins.

I had suggested he either build his own lower or take this one, then add either a 6720 or 6920 upper from Grant and for $800 he'd have a pretty decent base with which to work.

Thank you for the replies.

zb39
01-27-12, 14:13
You made the right choice!