PDA

View Full Version : Missing the industry - becoming an armorer/trainer?

ASH556
01-24-12, 08:19
All through college and for a couple years after I worked in retail firearm sales for a local FFL/SOT/Range. It was a fun gig, but working 6-10pm after a full day's work as an engineer just got to be not much fun anymore. Priorities changed, I got married, bought a house, and wanted the time at home.

I've enjoyed the break, but I'm really starting to miss the industry. It seems to me that the best/most enjoyable way to get back into it a bit would be as an armorer. I LOVE turning wrenches on AR's. I've done it quite a bit, but everything was learned "on the bench." So to refresh my memory and gain some official creds, I'm thinking of taking an armorer's course. I'd like to know where they are offered, which are good and which are not, and how much they cost. EDIT: Also meant to ask what, if any, license is required to be in posession of customers' guns for work.

In addition to the armoring, I'd like to see about doing some firearms instruction. It seems that the best place to start would be to get NRA certified, and I know someone locally that can help with that. Beyond that, maybe pursue a VSM accreditation. Georgia doesn't seem to have much going on in the way of formal training, at least not in the ATL metro, and so it seems like it would be a fertile market to sew into.

I'd appreciate input and comments from folks who have been or are in the industry and their experiences or recommendations.

Oh, I should add that for now, due to things like profit sharing, medical benefits, and income security, I plan to maintain my full-time job (40 hrs/wk).

Kickin-Ewoks
01-24-12, 12:31
I have been considering some training and certification, mainly just to help out a local gun shop and do some stuff out of my home, maybe a small hobby business.

Any how I have been researching AGI(American Gunsmithing Institute), they offer non-certification courses and certification courses.

Here is a link to their main page: http://www.americangunsmith.com/

Certified courses: http://www.americangunsmithinginstitute.org/offer/?ad=agiweb

If I am way off base here, please somebody correct me. I put this on the back burner until I finish my Bachelor’s degree.

Failure2Stop
01-24-12, 12:44
If you want to work on ARs with any kind of credibility you need to attend an armorer's course from a reputabile company (Colt and SAW).
Highly recommend armorer's courses from Glock, Sig, HK, and FN on their stand-out platforms as well.

If you want to be a trainer, you better know your way around behind a gun. I meet a whole lot of guys that want to work for me as instructors that really need to spend a whole lot more time learning and practicing, and then honing their ability to pass that information and identify/correct issues with individuals.

Frankly, I would steer you toward the armorer side. Everybody needs their gun worked on eventually, and there is a distinct lack of good AR armorers whereas there is no shortage of underqualified trainers.

C4IGrant
01-24-12, 12:49
All through college and for a couple years after I worked in retail firearm sales for a local FFL/SOT/Range. It was a fun gig, but working 6-10pm after a full day's work as an engineer just got to be not much fun anymore. Priorities changed, I got married, bought a house, and wanted the time at home.

I've enjoyed the break, but I'm really starting to miss the industry. It seems to me that the best/most enjoyable way to get back into it a bit would be as an armorer. I LOVE turning wrenches on AR's. I've done it quite a bit, but everything was learned "on the bench." So to refresh my memory and gain some official creds, I'm thinking of taking an armorer's course. I'd like to know where they are offered, which are good and which are not, and how much they cost. EDIT: Also meant to ask what, if any, license is required to be in posession of customers' guns for work.

In addition to the armoring, I'd like to see about doing some firearms instruction. It seems that the best place to start would be to get NRA certified, and I know someone locally that can help with that. Beyond that, maybe pursue a VSM accreditation. Georgia doesn't seem to have much going on in the way of formal training, at least not in the ATL metro, and so it seems like it would be a fertile market to sew into.

I'd appreciate input and comments from folks who have been or are in the industry and their experiences or recommendations.

Oh, I should add that for now, due to things like profit sharing, medical benefits, and income security, I plan to maintain my full-time job (40 hrs/wk).

For armorer certs, the big one is always Colt. That is the standard. Then I would look at what Ned C. puts together.

NRA certs are a good thing (especially if you are going to teach those types of classes). In regards to the VSM program, you will need to attend A LOT of Mr. Vickers classes (basic pistol, advanced pistol, basic carbine, advanced carbine, etc). You will also have to be a good shooter. ;) Most likely, you will need to take each of the classes listed several times each! On top of all that, he will need to somewhat like you (good luck with that). :eek:

Good luck!

C4

markm
01-24-12, 12:53
You should start as a Glock Armorer. It's a very Elite group. :p

C4IGrant
01-24-12, 12:57
If you want to work on ARs with any kind of credibility you need to attend an armorer's course from a reputabile company (Colt and SAW).
Highly recommend armorer's courses from Glock, Sig, HK, and FN on their stand-out platforms as well.

If you want to be a trainer, you better know your way around behind a gun. I meet a whole lot of guys that want to work for me as instructors that really need to spend a whole lot more time learning and practicing, and then honing their ability to pass that information and identify/correct issues with individuals.

Frankly, I would steer you toward the armorer side. Everybody needs their gun worked on eventually, and there is a distinct lack of good AR armorers whereas there is no shortage of underqualified trainers.

Bingo! There are many in the the firearms training industry that do NOT transfer information well. So if you (the OP) does not like to stand up in front of large groups of people and talk, be questioned in front of large groups of people, have to perform the drill at hand in front of large groups of people) teaching might not be for you.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Training_Pics/M4C_Regional/Apr11_Carbine5.jpg

ASH556
01-24-12, 13:17
Thanks so much Grant and F2S for the input! That's exactly what I need to hear.

I will look more heavily into the Armorer thing than training for sure. Kinda fits the "High-C" engineer personality type better than training as well. Any more input on the legalities of posessing another's weapon for services? Is it reasonable to consider local PD/Sherriff's as potential customers?

I guess my thought on the training is that I've encountered and used to work with (as co-workers at the gun shop) the no-qual, no-skill trainers. On several occasions, a customer who had paid for "formal training" from one of these individuals would come back in to use the range and have difficulty shooting a group resembling anything other than a shotgun pattern. I would happen to be in the range and with a few minutes of the five fundamentals (stance, grip, sight alignment, breathing, trigger control) I'd have them shooting acceptable groups. To imagine that they'd paid for private formal instruction (groups of 2 people max) and never even heard of these concepts bewildered me. Thus, I considered training, but turning wrenches appeals to me far more!

GG Asian
01-24-12, 13:58
You could also sign up for the the Army Reserves as a 91F (small arms/artillery repairer).