PDA

View Full Version : M16 Carrier?

Bloodbathdisplay
08-21-06, 22:54
Is it legal to use an M16 BCG in an AR15? I ask this because I see a lot of people running them now and as I understand, it is for a little extra weight during cycling, but I recall having a Bushmaster catalog a few years back (during the ban days) that said any part of an M16 in an Ar15 was illegal. So I was just wondering what the deal is? Thanks.

TigerStripe
08-21-06, 23:32
Is it legal to use an M16 BCG in an AR15? I ask this because I see a lot of people running them now and as I understand, it is for a little extra weight during cycling, but I recall having a Bushmaster catalog a few years back (during the ban days) that said any part of an M16 in an Ar15 was illegal. So I was just wondering what the deal is? Thanks.

That's just company policy, not law. Colt got a "permission letter" from the BATFE that states it is legal to use M16 bolt carrier groups in a semi auto.

TS

Bloodbathdisplay
08-22-06, 00:54
Thanks Tiger Stripe.

This Guy
08-22-06, 02:44
The definition of a machine gun found in The National Firearms Act, Chapter 53, Subchapter B, Part I, Sec. 5845, Subsection:

(b) Machinegun. -- The term "machinegun" means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person.

Please excuse the text book response. I wouldn't buy an M16 bolt just to get added weight, you can get carrier weights for that.

Robb Jensen
08-22-06, 03:32
This is ATFs response to Colts Mr. Chen,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/ab2e6e76.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/boltcarrier2.jpg

It's a wishy-washy answer but basically says if the addition of a M16 carrrier doesn't cause the rifle to fire more than 1 round per trigger pull, then it's use in a semi auto AR15 would be legal. From this definition Colt now ships semi auto 6920s and others with M16 carriers.

By NFA law if any firearm fired more than 1 round with a single trigger pull it would be defined as a machinegun regardless of the type of carrier used.

JLM
08-22-06, 05:23
I run FA carriers. That's is what the system was designed to use originally, and with good reason.

gotm4, do you have larger sizes of those pics that you could perhaps send me, or point me to the links to a more legible version. Thanks!

Bloodbathdisplay
08-22-06, 17:36
You gotta love the ATF....well you can use one, but only on the second tuesday of every month that is followed by a full moon, you drive a red suv with tires no larger than 31" tall and live no further than five miles from your third uncle...what is wrong with a Yes or NO?

TigerStripe
08-22-06, 18:12
You gotta love the ATF....well you can use one, but only on the second tuesday of every month that is followed by a full moon, you drive a red suv with tires no larger than 31" tall and live no further than five miles from your third uncle...what is wrong with a Yes or NO?

They wouldn't have much of an enforcement job if they gave straight answers. They will have to arrest several thousand people if they start making arrests for using M16 bolt carriers.

TS