PDA

View Full Version : AA flashlight on a weapon?

MudPuppy
01-24-12, 14:17
I love high lumen flashlights, but I am a real big fan of the AA batterie over the C123a.

Why?

If things go south, it is going to be a lot easier to find AA batteries than anything else.

Now, I have some 180 lumen lights like they Fenix Ld20 and am willing to buy any other as long as it is 150. Lumens or more, and uses AA batteries.

So the question is..

Is there a light that has a weapon mount, remote switch, more than 150 lumens, and uses AA Batteries, and can handle being knocked around with 5.56 recoil?

Thanks

Mud

goteron
01-24-12, 14:42
Insight was showing off a new AA powered weapon light at SHOT. I played with it, seemed to be pretty decent.

patriot_man
01-24-12, 20:44
Like goteron said Insight is a good choice. Insight is the only company that I can think off the top of my head that makes AA weapon lights that are G2G :D

MudPuppy
01-24-12, 20:56
I will see what they have

mrtoyz
01-24-12, 23:31
MuddPuppy,
I've been thinking the same thing. I want rechargable and uniformity. RCR123's dont work in most lights because of high voltage. I want to use AA/AAA Eneloops, very good rechargables) and get away from CR123's all together. One factor to keep in mind. Weapon mounts generally come in 2 sizes .8" or 1".

BTW I measure all lights output and burntime by the Olight M20s XPG R5. (Three brightness levels plus strobe, 5 lm(600h)~115 lm(12h)~340 lm(4h)). Other than size and look its my favorite light to date.

I really think there is a need for a triple AAA light. When you put three AAA's together I'm pretty sure you could get a 1" light with great burn and output.

Here are some AA lights I've found that look interesting.
Insights new AA Weapon light. Little long but going in the right direction!
http://www.botachtactical.com/inwltaweli.html

Quark AA
http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297&products_id=1620

Spark AA
http://goinggear.com/spark-sl5-180ow-xp-g-r5-outdoor-white-aa-180-lumen-flashlight.html

Zebralight works with AA or CR123! Very cool idea.
http://goinggear.com/sc80-220-lumen-aa-cr123a-flashlight.html

Great sight that sells a ton of lights, even allow you to sort by battery type.
http://goinggear.com/

Clint
01-25-12, 01:22
I wouldn't count on anything being available in stores if things go south.

CR123 Lithium batteries have a 10 year shelf life.

Buy a couple dozen online and drive on.

EzGoingKev
01-25-12, 04:59
From what I have read, 123's are not effected by cold like AA's either.

JSantoro
01-25-12, 08:54
That's a lithium vs. alkaline thing, not size/configuration.

I'm not aware of any 123 analogues in alkaline, but you'll see AA lithiums have more stable performance in the cold than a AA alkaline, in addition to many-but-not-all-of-them pushing more voltage (Energizer L91 = 1.5v, but there's 1.7v and 3.6v. offerings; be sure to read your labels!).

BUT, one has to make sure that whatever device you may cram AA lithiums into is capable of taking lithium. Not all devices out there can dual-hat batteries, or triple-hat, if one wants to toss rechargables into the mix; there's stuff out there that'll say alkaline-only, and it's best to pay attention to that, or risk...we'll call it an energetic complication. Gotta read the "Manufacturer's Opinion."

maximus83
01-25-12, 11:48
I looked at the insight WL1 AA weapons light specs. The highest light setting isn't bad (150 lumens), but it only gives you 90 minutes.

This sort of highlights one of the dilemmas of going to AA battery-based lights vs CR123a. With AA you get lower cost (since AA rechargeables are available) and better overall availability of replacement batteries. However, it seems like you give up a lot of performance in the light itself. It seems like when you compare a CR123a based light to an AA light of the same approximate size and lumen output, usually the CR123a light is brighter and lasts longer.

For now, I'm staying with CR123a based weapons lights, for the reasons above. I get a more compact light with longer life and great brightness. It's worth the slight added cost of keeping some CR123a batteries on hand. Usually I just buy a big box of them at Battery Junction every so often.

markm
01-25-12, 12:06
I wouldn't count on anything being available in stores if things go south.

CR123 Lithium batteries have a 10 year shelf life.

Buy a couple dozen online and drive on.

Yeah... this logic is completely absurd. Go to TheBatteryStation and buy a pelican case to hold cr123s in whatever quantity you need.

I keep one in my deployment bag, and spares in my carbean stock compartments.

Guns-up.50
01-26-12, 11:59
Yeah... this logic is completely absurd. Go to TheBatteryStation and buy a pelican case to hold cr123s in whatever quantity you need.

I must be missing something, aside from the pelican case this seems very similar to clints idea? Not being a dick just maybe you might be able to elaborate. I understand having spares but how is his does his logic differ from yours? Are you saying only but what you need,( in bulk)? Not to worrie about the shelf life?
Thanks

markm
01-26-12, 12:34
No... I agree with Clint...

It's the OP who's nuts..... I worded my reply poorly. :(

MudPuppy
01-26-12, 17:13
What I mean by AA vs C123a is..

When all the buildings are rubble, there will be more AA batteries lying around in Walmart - Target - Walgreens - Costco rubble than there will be C123a's.

:suicide:

patriot_man
01-26-12, 18:11
On the other hand no one is going to be picking up the CR123 batteries...

SMETNA
01-26-12, 19:15
I agree 100% with your rationale for standardizing on AA. I have done this myself.

I run a FourSevens Quark X AA2 Tactical in an offset 1" mount. I just wrapped the body with a few turns of McNett Camo Form to bulk it out a bit. The mount clamps right down on it . . . doesn't move.

P.s. For the tight bezel mode, I use max output 280 otf lumens. For loose bezel mode, I use low mode 24 otf lumens. (for use in total pitch black darkness to maintain some amount of night vision)

Guns-up.50
01-26-12, 20:09
On the other hand no one is going to be picking up the CR123 batteries...

I must agree..

(OP) I think I will go with cr123s for the simple fact that not many people will need them. If (when) shit starts getting bad everybody and their brother will be picking all stores clean for your AA AAA C and D battries. If you think you wont find cr123s what makes you think you will find any other battries.

Stainless
01-26-12, 20:21

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/StainlessSteel/AwesomeCase.jpg

SMETNA
01-26-12, 21:37
I must agree..

(OP) I think I will go with cr123s for the simple fact that not many people will need them. If (when) shit starts getting bad everybody and their brother will be picking all stores clean for your AA AAA C and D battries. If you think you wont find cr123s what makes you think you will find any other battries.

More places to look: gas stations, convenient stores, pharmacies, grocery stores, hardware stores, electronics retailers, so on so forth.

123s on the other hand . . . . Maybe RadioShack, hardware stores. I can't think of many more. It's primarily a mail order battery for many.

Cesiumsponge
01-26-12, 22:48
Many stores carry CR123's, including convenience stores, pharmacies, grocery stores, hardware stores, electronics retailers, so on so forth. Years ago before they were popular for tactical flashlights, Duracell and Energizer sold them in two-piece blister packs for $10-15!

They were used in SLR and DSLR cameras. You can still find them today in the two-piece blister packs for the same ridiculous prices, but Energizer now sells them in 12-piece blister packs like Surefire for about $30...much more reasonable if you can find those. Most consumers have never seen a tactical light...so why should Duracell and Energizer stop raking in the dough on CR123s?

If you want an AA light on a weapon and you're afraid of going outside of established brands like Surefire, Surefire makes the Outdoorsman AA which runs on a pair of AA's. I don't know if they make an adapter that will mount it because it looks like an oddball diameter, but it's one possible path. Obviously you'd want to run lithium AA's or high quality rechargables like Eneloops and not junky alkalines.

MudPuppy
01-26-12, 22:56
My local walgreens had 40,000 AA in front and in the back all brands including there own brand, (I know the manager) but only 48 C123a's:suicide2:

Guns-up.50
01-26-12, 23:03
More places to look: gas stations, convenient stores, pharmacies, grocery stores, hardware stores, electronics retailers, so on so forth.

123s on the other hand . . . . Maybe RadioShack, hardware stores. I can't think of many more. It's primarily a mail order battery for many.

I see your point but again more people looking for AA.. In a bad situation people are not going to run into the store and only take one pack and leave some for you and me.... Unless there is a pandemic of people wanting to use their old 35mm cameras the 123s may still be around..
One good thing about the 123 is the shelf life (Already been said) so you can always have them on hand and not worrie aobut them sitting out on you right away...
End of the day its up to you if you like the AA go for it more 123s for me.

Cesiumsponge
01-27-12, 07:40
I thought the point of preparedness was to have your crap beforehand and not run out like everyone else in case of disaster? In a "bad situation", people are known to LOOT, and they take everything and anything because they ain't paying for any of it. You probably aren't going to find the battery shelf devoid of everything except virgin packs of CR123's. One can purchase lithium AA batteries as well. They also have a 10-year shelf life.

If buying 3-4 12-packs of CR123s today for a rainy day tomorrow won't get you through an imagined dry spell, then buy yourself rechargeable batteries and a solar charger.

markm
01-27-12, 08:01
I thought the point of preparedness was to have your crap beforehand and not run out like everyone else in case of disaster?

Exactly. Alkalines will puke in your electronics. Found one that puked in an Aimpoint M4s. I much prefer Lithiums.

MudPuppy
01-27-12, 16:02
I agree with the lithiums. I buy 20 packs of the energizer 8x lithium AA's as often as I can when I go to SAM's club. They are only $19 there

streetrat
01-27-12, 20:09
I went ahead and bought the Insight AA weapon light. I'd say the 150 lumen rating is pretty friggin close! It's just as bright, if not brighter than some of my older TLR-1's (w/ CREE emitter). My TLR-1S does look a tad bit brighter.

I ordered it from Botach when they were doing a 10% off deal, so it was only $135 shipped. I received it in about 4-5 days after I placed the order. I really like the light on my Sig Scorpion Carry. It fits nicely and isn't much longer than a TLR. The strobe function is nice too, and the rocker switches are not super touchy like the TLR's but are still very easily activated with the trigger finger or thumb.

My only complaint is the quick-throw lever... The more pressure there is from the lights mount grabbing the rail, the harder it is to throw the lever up. The recess that's cut into the polymer frame is not lined up right with the bottom of the throw lever which makes it near impossible to get anything underneath the lever to lift it back up (not even a thumbnail). I have a small chisel that I put electrical tape over that can slide under it enough to pry it up. But the only time I do that is to change batteries (haven't even NEEDED to do that yet, just wanted to test my Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables). Luckily this light has been dedicated to my Scorpion, so I don't need to take it off very often.

Since I have tons of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables I think this light will be well worth the money. I may eventually buy another one to use on my XDm... I'm definitely using less CR123's now that I have this AA light!

Cesiumsponge
01-28-12, 00:20
Sanyo Eneloops are the cat's ass. Those and lithiums are exclusively what I use in AAA and AA's.

serevince
01-29-12, 00:21
I'm running the Insight WL1 laser/ light combo. In my quest to go all AA I found a great tac light that takes AA or CR123, can't recall the name right now.

I won't be raiding for batteries. I have a stash of AAA/AA enloops and a Goal Zero Guide 10. "Problem solved, problem staying solved".;)

Cheers

Vince

SMETNA
01-29-12, 02:22
Sanyo Eneloops are the cat's ass. Those and lithiums are exclusively what I use in AAA and AA's.

^ this

luanakates
06-02-17, 23:27
After a little bit research, I am willing to buy this ThruNite Archer AA flashlight. Anyone have any idea about this best AA flashlight (https://theeffectiveguide.com/best-aa-flashlight/)? It's price is 30 bucks but provide 200 lumens beam.

Update: I have bought that ThruNite Archer AA flashlight.

voiceofreason
06-04-17, 07:17
I fall into the buy all the CR123 you need. They're not that much in bulk. 10 year shelf life AND I've never had one leak. AAs... I've had over 200 leak on me from multiple brands and I usually only run brand names.

AA lithium which are much more expensive would be what I would advise if you feel you must run AA batt.

I want reliability over cost. I have both types of lights and I trust the CR123 to work when I need it to.

i do not consider long term SHTF as I'll be dead within 3 months personally.

(Who wants to live life without access to cold beer?)

inune
06-04-17, 15:51
Is there a light that has a weapon mount, remote switch, more than 150 lumens, and uses AA Batteries, and can handle being knocked around with 5.56 recoil?

Based on your question - I take it you want a flashlight that "can be" weapons mounted vs "dedicated".

But if you are ok with dedicated: Streamlight Rail Mount 1 (http://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/protac-rail-mount-1) is dual fuel with CR123 or AA (Alki or Lithium) with 350 lum or 150 lum, respectively.

Not wading into the the "either...or" :)

Tomac
06-10-17, 10:19
I'm a fan of AA WML's but will use CR123's if a particular light suits my particular needs better.
I'm also a fan of vfg's so finding a light setup I like has been problematic (don't like tape switches).

Recently I discovered this 'Colt' (made in PRC) 400 lumen AA weapons light: http://grabagun.com/coltlt-cltsepms4002aa-microtac-400-lgt.html
It's modular/reversible so it's easily mounted in a variety of positions, and by removing the center section will run on 1xAA w/a 200 lumen output.

The more I use it, the more I like it. Switch takes definite pressure to activate and constant-on takes deliberate effort so little risk of AD.
Mounted on the right side of my rifle, the switch is easily accessed w/my support-side thumb w/o shifting my grip on the vfg.
This light isn't for everyone, but it certainly offers some features not found on other offerings.

Tomac

Adrenaline_6
06-11-17, 08:39
Personally, rechargeable lithiums would be the way to go. Alkalines have a short shelf life. I like 18650's. Laptop and lithium power tool battery packs are just 18650's bundled together. Take the pack apart and you have a good supply of batteries that are rechargeable, and have a long runtime.

Tomac
06-11-17, 08:45
Personally, rechargeable lithiums would be the way to go. Alkalines have a short shelf life. I like 18650's. Laptop and lithium power tool battery packs are just 18650's bundled together. Take the pack apart and you have a good supply of batteries that are rechargeable, and have a long runtime.

I've been experimenting w/Eneloop rechargeables since I already have many of them and so far they've been gtg. Thx for the 18650 tip!

Tomac

Adrenaline_6
06-12-17, 09:34
I've been experimenting w/Eneloop rechargeables since I already have many of them and so far they've been gtg. Thx for the 18650 tip!

Tomac

Yes, Eneloops are great! I have a bunch too. All the powerbanks you see out there for recharging phones and other USB items are all made up with 18650's also.