PDA

View Full Version : Vickers/VCAS/BlueGear sling questions..

hawk45
01-24-12, 15:11
I've got a few no-name Viking VTAC knock offs and the tail thing bothers me. I'm going to try the Vickers VCAS sling but am torn on the padded vs non-padded. One thing I do like about the VTAC is you can snug it tight to the body for when walking in the woods, and I've heard the VCAS doesn't have enough adjustment to get tight to the body, at least with the padded version. Is the non-padded able to get tight to the body? If so, I'd opt for that over the comfort of the padded version.

Second question is.. do you prefer QD swivels or the HK connectors better? My current setups are fixed swivels and would prefer something that is easy on/off, so trying to decide on setup.

Thanks for your feedback,
Hawk

Moose-Knuckle
01-24-12, 16:57
Responses in red.

Is the non-padded able to get tight to the body?

Yes, both versions have the quick adjust.

If so, I'd opt for that over the comfort of the padded version.

I own both versions and prefer the padded over the non-padded YMMV.

Second question is.. do you prefer QD swivels or the HK connectors better?

There is evidence of every type of quick connector failing; HK (lobster claw), QD, and Mash Hooks. It has been my experiance that the QD types fail less often than the other two types.

Aries4570
01-24-12, 20:54
^^^What he said, lol

I have both and the padded is much better if you are going to have the gun on for long periods of time.

C4IGrant
01-24-12, 21:03
I've got a few no-name Viking VTAC knock offs and the tail thing bothers me. I'm going to try the Vickers VCAS sling but am torn on the padded vs non-padded. One thing I do like about the VTAC is you can snug it tight to the body for when walking in the woods, and I've heard the VCAS doesn't have enough adjustment to get tight to the body, at least with the padded version. Is the non-padded able to get tight to the body? If so, I'd opt for that over the comfort of the padded version.

Second question is.. do you prefer QD swivels or the HK connectors better? My current setups are fixed swivels and would prefer something that is easy on/off, so trying to decide on setup.

Thanks for your feedback,
Hawk

You can tighten either sling up and I prefer the padded version.

I also prefer the QD swivels sewn into the sling.

C4

Surf
01-25-12, 00:21
I own numerous padded an non padded. The non-padded has the same amount of adjustability on the slider, however to shorten the sling overall and the padded version has less room for take up. So depending on your preference for sling connection placement, how far out you like to run your stock and how much you like to cinch down your sling, I will say that the padded version might not have enough adjustment for you. Again I am not talking about the slider length of adjustment.

I will make this note. I am not a small guy in the upper torso. I know for myself, out of gear I really like to cinch down a sling in certain shooting positions (even standing off hand) and I cannot get enough adjustment using a padded VCAS to get it really "locked in" how I like it. I take in the rear connection end (end plate mounted) as far as I can, I mount the fore end as short as I can, and I take in the sling just behind the slider as far as it will go and it still comes up a bit long. Non padded no problem. I will also say as a sling on a precision rifle in a standard two point fully shortened and slider completely shortened, the padded sling is still too long to effectively use as a "hasty sling" set up. Not really intended for that purpose, but just mentioning it. The non padded has as much adjustment as you want. You will have to cut off some sling and burn the ends but you can do it. FWIW - I cut off ends of the padded and burn them and it is still too long for my tastes out of gear. It is comfy however. Of course in full gear none of this is a problem, but the nice padded part means nothing in full gear either. :)

El Vaquero
01-27-12, 00:41
Another vote for the padded. Can't see any reason not to get it. Guess it really depends on how much walking around your going to do with your rifle hanging off your neck/shoulder.

TehLlama
01-28-12, 01:08
If nothing else, I justify the padded version on the fact that the larger surface area means it takes less effort to slide the sling against clothing - this benefit ignores the comfort aspect entirely.

The padded was worth its weight in gold on long arse foot patrols and having to wander everything from OPs and patrol bases to FOBs and the hellhole known as Camp Pleatherneck.

Armati
01-28-12, 19:09
I prefer the non-padded Vickers - especially when wearing body armor.