PDA

View Full Version : help me choose a rifle...yes i've searched

impure
12-15-07, 23:58
so i have recently come across this gem of a rifle and am looking to buy one in the near future. i have been onto the ar15 site and have seen some good posts but i like this site more for some reason. so i am looking at rra's rifles and i like how many have recommended them but i also stumbled upon cmmg's bargain bin. i would like to know what you all think of cmmg and if you'd be able to help me choose a rifle from rra.

its going to be a learning rifle as i have never tried long range shots from a rifle past fifty to sixty yards. it will also serve as a form of pest control and defensive purposes. i don't need the top of the line rifle btw as i will upgrade if i'd like. i just want a good rifle to use and learn with as i still have much to learn. thank you for your help.

WS6
12-16-07, 00:13
so i have recently come across this gem of a rifle and am looking to buy one in the near future. i have been onto the ar15 site and have seen some good posts but i like this site more for some reason. so i am looking at rra's rifles and i like how many have recommended them but i also stumbled upon cmmg's bargain bin. i would like to know what you all think of cmmg and if you'd be able to help me choose a rifle from rra.

its going to be a learning rifle as i have never tried long range shots from a rifle past fifty to sixty yards. it will also serve as a form of pest control and defensive purposes. i don't need the top of the line rifle btw as i will upgrade if i'd like. i just want a good rifle to use and learn with as i still have much to learn. thank you for your help.

Do you want a 16" or 20" or 24" barrel?
Do you want to mount optics, if so, what kind?
How much are you looking to spend?
Do you want to shoot 40-55gr varmint loads (you mentioned pest control), 50-70gr loads, or 69+gr loads the most?

tsp45acp
12-16-07, 11:05
I've also got a "AR Selection" thread going on this site and will be watching this post as well.

Haven't heard of CMMG, will have to do a google and see what pops up. I'll thank the members here as well, for their suggestions. Tracy

SuicideHz
12-16-07, 12:25
I'd leave CMMG alone based on their customer service and how they reacted to a barrel they sold my friend that we couldn't get to work. Yeah, it wouldn't "work."

Their groovy imitation M4 feedramps were too sharp and improperly releived for a bullet and would catch and cut every other round.

impure
12-16-07, 13:27
probable a 16 or 18 yes in the future optics once i learn more. looking for under 1000 and as far as loads i have no idea. thank you

Patrick Aherne
12-16-07, 15:52
Why don't you buy one of the ADS carbines from Grant at GRTactical? 1/7 twist, and all the other good ingredients, + a Robar finish for $825. Also, I know Grant will make anything right if there are any little glitches.

impure
12-16-07, 17:05
ok cool i will check into them now. so i guess most if not all parts for ar's are interchangeable?upgradeable for sure

impure
12-16-07, 17:56
i was also wondering about the complete rifle kit from rra they offer?

Sonny
12-16-07, 18:17
Hey Bud,
Please be careful with this. They usually run an ad in the AR-15 forum "want ads" where they will sell you a complete functional AR for $550, I believe. But these guns are trade-ins that they get at gun shows, and are generally NOT CMMG brand. Altho I see some posts where guys got some good guns for a cheap price. Contact CMMG on phone and ask them about their own brand bargains before you put your money down. Generally, they seem to have an excellent record on that forum, but caveat emptor always rules the day.
G'day, Sonny

Colt6920
12-16-07, 19:32
Why don't you buy one of the ADS carbines from Grant at GRTactical? 1/7 twist, and all the other good ingredients, + a Robar finish for $825. Also, I know Grant will make anything right if there are any little glitches.

Hell, I dont even need another AR but that price is making it tempting.

Robb Jensen
12-16-07, 20:13
For under $1K I think you would be best served by a LMT complete 16" upper assy and a LMT w/M4 stock lower. I believe www.gandrtactical.com carries both of these.

impure
12-17-07, 12:38
thanks all for all the help. i would love to buy the lmt upper and lower but have no idea how to put it together? is it just plug and play? would i be able to take it to my local gun shop and they could assemble it? they have the s&w m&p series there but they are real expensive. i could not seem to find the ads carbines from g&r tactical to save my life...i looked but couldn't find. or maybe i just didn't know what i was looking at:confused:

Jerm
12-17-07, 15:40
putting together a complete upper and lower(+BCG with LMT) takes about five minutes for a first timer(like i myself was).

a helpfull(and not unpleasant to watch) link.http://youtube.com/watch?v=61WKv720_Ow

something about a woman that knows her weapons.

Sonny
12-17-07, 19:20
http://youtube.com/watch?v=btewvXGw8F0

Hi Impure,
This is another video of AR takedown and reassembly. Obviously, the girl in previous post is much cuter, but this video is good also.
best regards,
Sonny

impure
12-17-07, 22:32
well all...thanks again for your guys' help. it looks like i'll be going with the lmt rifle in the end. i wanted to go rra but you guys know what your talking about and lmt is one of the highest regarded ars. it just feels strange to me that i am getting something from the best as my first ar when time and time before i have gotten less than decent. its time to start shopping! now only to decide what upper and lower...:D

impure
12-17-07, 23:00
thank you guys for the video's i now feel like i can strip and reassemble a rifle without ever even picking one up. great vids, saved em on my gf's computer for future reference.

impure
12-17-07, 23:17
one more quick ? i was thinking of maybe an ace skeleton stock and an 18 or 20'' barrel. in paintball which is where i reign from. the longer the barrel the longer the range, all depends on the marker and different circumstances. would this matter in these type of rifles as well. remember that i am going to be using it for varmit control, range shooting, learning and if needed home defense...if it were just home defense i would go with a 16'' for shorter and a more manuverable weapon.