PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had their Rifle/handgun Hydro-finished?

lmurtha1
01-24-12, 21:11
I took the plunge and had my Scar and tac-45 hydro-finished in Midnight Urban Digital by SharkBiteCustom...turned out amazing and is hard as nails. Took both through some rigorous abuse and cleaning, not to mention the high temps of the can and it looks as good as the day I got it done! Why aren't people doing this more often do you suppose?

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n556/lmurtha1/final3-1.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n556/lmurtha1/final2-1.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n556/lmurtha1/DSC01564.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n556/lmurtha1/DSC01568.jpg

yugotprblms
01-24-12, 22:26
Not bad looking, I have been tinkering with the idea myself. How much did it run you?

lmurtha1
01-24-12, 22:29
Not bad looking, I have been tinkering with the idea myself. How much did it run you?

an entire pistol is 250 including 3 mags and an entire rifle top to bottom including scope is 500 also including 1 mag. They put a matte industrial clear-coat over it and it makes it hard as nails. Check out Sharkbitecustom.com Jerry is who did mine. They have many other camo options. Pretty neat stuff!

yugotprblms
01-24-12, 22:31
I assume you had to disassemble your weapons prior to shipment, correct?

Also, is this some sort of paid endorsement? Lydon Murtha? Just curious, as I see your weapon, name, and the fact that you supposedly play for the Dolphins on Sharkbite's front page.

thei3ug
01-24-12, 22:40
Very expensive for what you get.
Doesn't wear as well as other more common options, either.

lmurtha1
01-24-12, 22:41
I assume you had to disassemble your weapons prior to shipment, correct?

Also, is this some sort of paid endorsement? Lydon Murtha? Just curious, as I see your weapon, name, and the fact that you supposedly play for the Dolphins on Sharkbite's front page.

No you dont have to disassemble it. They have a master gunsmith do it for you if you would like. Although you can send in the pieces you want done like furniture.

Also, recently I had my Scar done and it impressed me so much, I asked if I could be a part of the company. He is fairly small as of now and just opened his new shop, so I think it would be a great time for me to be on board. I'm in the paperwork right now and wont make any decisions for at least 6 months. Its just a very unique process and I'm wondering why it isn't more heard of? And yes, 4th season with the fins.:ph34r:

lmurtha1
01-24-12, 22:48
Very expensive for what you get.
Doesn't wear as well as other more common options, either.

I wouldn't exactly say that. I have multiple weapons duracoated and Cerakoted. I know that when i drag it on the gravel it gets annihilated and scratched pretty good. Cerakote not as remotely bad as duracoat. i guess if you bench rest then you wont have any problems. Ive put this Hydro-finish through a beating and harsh cleaning, not to mention the high heat of my can, and it looks as good as day 1. Its because they use a industrial strength 3 layer matte clearcoat over it. I'm sure eventually it will wear and it is a little expensive. I guess it all depends on who does it and what/ how much sealant they use over it.

Plus a few day turnaround, and ready to rock is nice. the others you have to let it settle and bond before the abuse.

DeltaSierra
01-24-12, 22:51
The SCAR looks great with that pattern...

Personally, I think the price is what would keep most people from doing it.

Given the choice between $20 worth of Krylon, or $500 for Hydro-Finish, most people are going to choose the Krylon, simply because the finish is, at some point, going to get chipped or scratched, and the Krylon is easy enough to patch up without it looking shabby, using what is left over in the can from when you painted the rifle the first time...

I must admit though, if I run into some extra cash, I'll definitely look into this....;) I'm already envisioning a Steyr AUG A3 in Multicam...:D

Evil Colt 6920
01-24-12, 23:10
Ive looked into these finishes and they look very nice, I just cant spend that much on a coating. Also, can I get an autograph? Just sign that scar and send it to me :D

DeltaSierra
01-24-12, 23:17
Also, can I get an autograph? Just sign that scar and send it to me :D

Ah, you beat me to it....:D

Evil Colt 6920
01-24-12, 23:20
Ah, you beat me to it....:D

I knew that was coming from someone. That SCAR is a BEAUTY. I like Mr. Murtha's taste.

lmurtha1
01-24-12, 23:29
The SCAR looks great with that pattern...

Personally, I think the price is what would keep most people from doing it.

Given the choice between $20 worth of Krylon, or $500 for Hydro-Finish, most people are going to choose the Krylon, simply because the finish is, at some point, going to get chipped or scratched, and the Krylon is easy enough to patch up without it looking shabby, using what is left over in the can from when you painted the rifle the first time...

I must admit though, if I run into some extra cash, I'll definitely look into this....;) I'm already envisioning a Steyr AUG A3 in Multicam...:D

No question. Money is always the factor. It is expensive for a finish, but for a nice precise pattern, its really the only way to go. I guess you pay for what you get. I love Cerakote too but you cant get as detailed. As far as Krylon, HELL YA! I have a few of my go to lead slangers i keep kryloned. easy and cheap. IF you get some extra cash laying around, give it a try! there are some pretty nifty patterns and you can change the background color to any shade you want, they paint the rifle first.

lmurtha1
01-24-12, 23:29
I knew that was coming from someone. That SCAR is a BEAUTY. I like Mr. Murtha's taste.

Thank ya sir!

Failure2Stop
01-24-12, 23:56
After seeing SharkBite's work in another thread here I had him do an item for me.
He was extremely thorough and detail-oriented to ensure not only the appearance but the longetivity of the pattern and suitability to task as well.
His prices are good (as far as I can tell), and he offers LE/Mil discounts.

pira114
01-25-12, 01:30
As far as Krylon, HELL YA! I have a few of my go to lead slangers i keep kryloned. easy and cheap.

You just answered your own question as to why more people don't do hydros. Just can't afford it and it's unnecessary. Looks way cool and I'm not knocking those who do it. Just sayin it's pricey and rattle cans accomplish the same thing in terms of camo.

MistWolf
01-25-12, 02:18
It costs $500 and the rifle isn't more accurate, reliable or durable, it doesn't get you on target faster, doesn't help recoil or help identify badguys. It's not more ammo or better magazines. It's not another upper or lower. You wonder why more people don't want this?

GS163
01-25-12, 04:53
Guns look great, I dig how they turned out. The price seems a little steep to me. This process is not new either. I had about 20 interior pieces done with the same hydro treatment on one of vettes for less than $500. Same type of multi step clear coat to finish, only in high gloss instead of matte. May have to give my guy a call to see what he thinks about doing weapons.

Pork Chop
01-25-12, 07:25
It's pretty damn cool & I like the way they turned out, but $500 is pretty steep. They do look great though.

Mr. Murtha also played for my beloved Cornhuskers.....GO BIG RED!!!:D

!Nvasi0n
01-25-12, 11:25
The rifle looks awesome! That's awesome that you can afford such nice things that make you happy! And that's great that we have a free forum here to post all of our works of art rather krylon or hydro-dipped. To the haters...to each is own....does it make since to you, obviously not and it's not your money. To the OP rock on! I'm guessing you've got money enough to buy a huge supply of ammo...so I'm sure you are highly skilled to.

It's America! We should just be thankful we can own a SCAR, paint it, and defend our family and country, and if need be put meat on the table

QuietShootr
01-25-12, 11:42
I'd do my SWS in it but $500 is just too much for what you get - especially when you point out that it basically is just 'prettier' than Duracoat or rattlecan, and not actually more effective camouflage.

Nice looking, though.

markm
01-25-12, 12:09
It's cool... but more of a luxury than a practicality.

rob_s
01-25-12, 12:26
It costs $500 and the rifle isn't more accurate, reliable or durable, it doesn't get you on target faster, doesn't help recoil or help identify badguys. It's not more ammo or better magazines. It's not another upper or lower. You wonder why more people don't want this?

I saw that in the OP and thought "that's 2500 rounds of WPA for the carbine and 1000 rounds of Atlanta 147 grain 9mm for the pistol".

I seem to think of every firearm expenditure in terms of cost related to ammo.

66% of respondents to this poll don't seek out training due to cost issues.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=86583

HES
01-25-12, 12:41
Here is my hunting rifle, 6.8mm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/frontline_01/firearms/68mm/68mmatacs800.jpg

It was expensive. The cost for it came out of my hunting budget. Now would I do this to my BCMs or Colt? Not at these prices. The hydrographic printing for me was done with one purpose in mind; improve my chances of putting meat in the freezer. If I ever wanted to change my rifles from black I would most likely just go the Krylon route

lmurtha1
01-25-12, 12:42
The rifle looks awesome! That's awesome that you can afford such nice things that make you happy! And that's great that we have a free forum here to post all of our works of art rather krylon or hydro-dipped. To the haters...to each is own....does it make since to you, obviously not and it's not your money. To the OP rock on! I'm guessing you've got money enough to buy a huge supply of ammo...so I'm sure you are highly skilled to.

It's America! We should just be thankful we can own a SCAR, paint it, and defend our family and country, and if need be put meat on the table

Amen! its just a nice form of customizing that is it. As far as function, depends on the camo i would assume. Most of the people on this page would not knock it if it were lets say $100. The money issue always brings bad taste with some things. I'm just blessed and fortunate to not have to worry as much for the high price to customize my rifles, you know, make them my own. If you can only afford Krylon, then by all means rock on! I wouldn't knock it for a second because I too have some done like that.

So I dont condemn anyone who doesn't like it or thinks its too high priced! If financially you can afford it, its a pretty unique deal! If you have some spare money laying around one day give it a try! Thank God I live in America were I can own a weapon and enjoy it daily! As far as ammo, I go through it like water on a hot day! that's my passion, God, football, and GUNS baby!!!!!!

PS, im talking with the owner now to see if there is a nice deal to be had by my fellow M4 carbine members, I dont want a steep price keeping you from this!...Ill keep you posted

lmurtha1
01-25-12, 12:43
It's pretty damn cool & I like the way they turned out, but $500 is pretty steep. They do look great though.

Mr. Murtha also played for my beloved Cornhuskers.....GO BIG RED!!!:D

GBR!!!! best time of my life!

StevieJ309
01-25-12, 12:44
...I seem to think of every firearm expenditure in terms of cost related to ammo...

As do I.

It's definitely cool and something I would like to have done, but at $500 I can think of plenty of other firearms related products I would rather have.

lmurtha1
01-25-12, 12:47
After seeing SharkBite's work in another thread here I had him do an item for me.
He was extremely thorough and detail-oriented to ensure not only the appearance but the longetivity of the pattern and suitability to task as well.
His prices are good (as far as I can tell), and he offers LE/Mil discounts.

1st class service no question. I think its competitively priced. Possibly a little higher than others, but the work shows. I would spend a little extra to get a spot on product. Weapons are much more intricate than dipping an auto part. Much prep work and masking off areas takes into account and skill to make sure not to distort the image. Sharkbite does give LE/Mil Discounts but I'm going to see if we can get a nice package or deal to my fellow forum members! Ill keep you posted.

Campbell
01-25-12, 13:28
I spray coatings for a living, and I agree that his work looks first class. As far as firearms go I use cerakote or some traditional coatings for AK purists... With hydro, it looks cool but its only as good as the clear coat covering it.

pira114
01-25-12, 13:45
Most of the people on this page would not knock it if it were lets say $100. The money issue always brings bad taste with some things.

Absolutely true. If it were that cheap, I would do it. I only mentioned the cost vs effectiveness because you asked why more people don't do it. Otherwise, I would have just mentioned that they look great. You're 100% correct that it's a personal thing. I'm not "hatin". I'm just poor. :D

lmurtha1
01-25-12, 14:16
I spoke hastily about the price. $500 would be the most you can pay for an entire setup top to bottom. That price is for a fully customized AR/Rifle broken down piece by piece- including butt-stock(ex. fn scar), grip, fore grip, bi-pod, rails, selector, bolts, and barrel assembly etc... Also included 1 magazine, Scope, and scope rings. This is the rifle as a whole where their master gunsmith disassembles the weapon, degrease it, preps it, masking, painting, hydro-dipped, clear coated. If it is a stock AR/rifle without all the goodies added on, it can be done for $300. A scope is $100 and an Eotech/Aimpoint is $75. That should ease a few minds!

Note, the price can even vary less the mentioned depending on size and what you want done, but the max would be $500

40Arpent
01-25-12, 14:42
It costs $500 and the rifle isn't more accurate, reliable or durable, it doesn't get you on target faster, doesn't help recoil or help identify badguys. It's not more ammo or better magazines. It's not another upper or lower.

And for some of us, it looks like complete shit. The OP asked....

lungbuster
01-25-12, 15:07
I had Midwest Hydrographics do my coyote rig

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/beakbuster/DSC00151.jpg

$330 complete gun, scope mount and two magazines

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/beakbuster/DSC00147-1.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii195/beakbuster/DSC00150.jpg

lmurtha1
01-25-12, 15:38
And for some of us, it looks like complete shit. The OP asked....

Very kind words... thanks for you opinion

rob_s
01-25-12, 15:41
Absolutely true. If it were that cheap, I would do it. I only mentioned the cost vs effectiveness because you asked why more people don't do it.

Exactly. I don't do it because I'd rather spend the money on ammo, range fees, and instruction and because I have no use for a camouflaged gun. I know several people that have had it done, and they enjoy it, but outside of a very narrow band of users it's an aesthetic choice at best, and an expensive one at that.

If you enjoy it, and are making enough money to pay for it AND range fees, ammo, and instruction or you're simply into guns as a hobby/collectible then that should be enough for you, I would think.

lmurtha1
01-25-12, 16:27
Exactly. I don't do it because I'd rather spend the money on ammo, range fees, and instruction and because I have no use for a camouflaged gun. I know several people that have had it done, and they enjoy it, but outside of a very narrow band of users it's an aesthetic choice at best, and an expensive one at that.

If you enjoy it, and are making enough money to pay for it AND range fees, ammo, and instruction or you're simply into guns as a hobby/collectible then that should be enough for you, I would think.

No question! very well put

hickuleas
01-25-12, 16:42
Nice looking rifle and pistol. The water transfer or hydrographics process is very cool to see when applied. The patterns are almost endless to chose from. Also works great for other items like car, motorcycle parts.

El Cid
01-25-12, 17:02
The SCAR and pistol look awesome! Jerry did my rifle and accessories. Great guy! In fact, I still owe him a patch.

Rather than post the pics again, here is the thread with mine: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88353

Water transfer isn't for everyone, but I am glad I did it.

cop1211
01-25-12, 18:31
Looks good to me.

ps I was hoping the Steelers were going to draft you coming out of Nebraska.

blasternank
01-25-12, 20:28
Those are all great looking rigs. I really like what you've done!

Bimmer
01-25-12, 23:27
I think the price is what would keep most people from doing it.

No question. Money is always the factor.

You just answered your own question as to why more people don't do hydros. Just can't afford it and it's unnecessary.

It costs $500 and the rifle isn't more accurate, reliable or durable, it doesn't get you on target faster, doesn't help recoil or help identify badguys. It's not more ammo or better magazines. It's not another upper or lower.

The price seems a little steep to me.

$500 is pretty steep. They do look great though.

I'd do my SWS in it but $500 is just too much for what you get.

Absolutely true. If it were that cheap, I would do it... I'm just poor. :D

I don't do it because I'd rather spend the money on ammo, range fees, and instruction and because I have no use for a camouflaged gun.

There's a pattern emerging here...

1. This is what the car guys call "all show, and no go." It does look fabulous, but it doesn't improve function.

2. Most of like tinkering with our guns and accessories (remember, the AR is Barbie for men).

3. Most of us are scraping by, just trying to pay for ammo, range fees, and a bit of new hardware now and again.

4. Blowing $500 on something purely cosmetic for a $1,000 rifle is out of the question (akin to spending half the cost of a new car to make it more asthetically pleasing: not going to happen).

My own situation:
I just blew almost $500 on 1,000rnds of 7.62x51.

The next $500 I can spend on shooting will be for reloading equipment. The next $500 after that will be for reloading components.

After that I might be able to afford something "cool," like a JAE stock for my M14. And then a dissipator upper. And then a new Glock.
Each is rather purely functional and costs about $500. You can see where this is going...

TunaFisherman
01-25-12, 23:32
Looks interesting. I am pretty thrifty with my money but for a complete rifle/scope/rings/mag...I would pay $500 and wouldnt sweat it. No dif then buyn tires an rims for my truck, doesnt make it faster or tougher,,it just looks cool:D

rubiconscott
02-03-12, 03:08
You guys are getting ripped off!!!

I had my rem 870 dipped in A-TACS for $150ish

I go to a local shop and they have very reasonable prices. Even cheaper if you tear down the gun before you bring it in...

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/services.html

SoOhArDsOmIcH
02-03-12, 03:36
I'm curios to see how it applies with stippling.. Anyone know or have pics of this done?