PDA

View Full Version : Normal cam-pin drag wear on DI Noveske?

WS6
01-24-12, 22:28
I know some wear is normal to this area, but I thought it was usually confined to the area of the cut-out nearest the buffer tube. I have this wear, but also some more that I was curious about. Pretty sure it falls under the "within normal tolerances--shut up and shoot it!" category, but wanted to ask regardless.

Rifle is a 14.5" midlength w/SB, fired with 62gr 5.56, about 200-275 rounds so far.

http://i43.tinypic.com/w7eb5x.jpg

MarkG
01-24-12, 22:34
Normal...

That isn't grease I see is it?

Thomas M-4
01-24-12, 22:34
Normal.
After a while you will start to see a track develop leading to the rear towards to buffer tube.

Javelin
01-24-12, 22:35
Looks normal to me too. Looks almost brand new. You need to shoot it! :D

WS6
01-24-12, 22:39
Normal...

No, but several people here wouldn't believe me if I told you what it was :p

I understand what causes the shiniest wear-spot on the rear of the cam-pin recess, but what's up with the wear to the "rail" portion in FRONT of the recess closest the chamber, and on the rail portion below the normal "ramp" type wear from the cam-pin?

http://i39.tinypic.com/mvor2h.jpg

WS6
01-24-12, 22:43
Looks normal to me too. Looks almost brand new. You need to shoot it! :D

It is, and the reason is that all I have within 30-40 miles of me is a 25 yard indoor range with no ventilation (well, technically it does have, but yeah...I was blowing black snot for 2 days after shooting last time. Screw that.). Until I get my suppressor and can shoot at my Dad's place (I live in an apartment, he owns a neighborhood in an area that is not city-limits, but still, we try to keep the noise down for our tenants) and then later move, my shooting is very limited. :sad:

sff70
01-25-12, 00:23
Normal.

You'll see some interesting looking marks on the round part of the cam pin, as well. Also entirely normal.

markm
01-25-12, 08:11
That's light wear. Looks like you don't shoot the gun enough. :confused:

WS6
01-25-12, 08:46
That's light wear. Looks like you don't shoot the gun enough. :confused:

Sleeping days, working nights, no good ranges in the w/in 45 minutes area, no land of my own right now, the list of excuses goes on...

It's also kindof new.

lets see what else I got...

Todd.K
01-25-12, 10:51
That other wear is from the carrier. It's where the carrier pads ride on the upper.

WS6
01-25-12, 17:52
That other wear is from the carrier. It's where the carrier pads ride on the upper.

Is this within the spectrum of normal? It's my only AR that shows this. It is also my lowest round-count AR.

Blankwaffe
01-26-12, 00:11
Is this within the spectrum of normal? It's my only AR that shows this. It is also my lowest round-count AR.

Yeap,most all my uppers have the same or worse wear depending on age in description.
As ToddK mentioned,the wear in the upper just below,and foward of the cam pin recess is from the verticle ledge at the front end of the carrier top rails that the charging handle engages,and is what is causing that specific wear.
In my experience once the cam pin and carrier make themselves at home the wear will stabilize with little to no propagation.

WS6
01-26-12, 00:25
Yeap,most all my uppers have the same or worse wear depending on age in description.
As ToddK mentioned,the wear in the upper just below,and foward of the cam pin recess is from the verticle ledge at the front end of the carrier top rails that the charging handle engages,and is what is causing that specific wear.
In my experience once the cam pin and carrier make themselves at home the wear will stabilize with little to no propagation.

Sounds good. Out of sight, out of mind. Thanks! Thanks to everyone else, too!

Skang
01-26-12, 00:35
I just checked mine, after 154 rounds.

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k337/KSH-711/Forums/521367a6.jpg

thopkins22
01-26-12, 00:55
Normal...
Agreed that it's normal wear that I'd expect to see within the first couple hundred rounds.

And if it was? :confused:

Nothing wrong at all with grease in the right places....

jet80tv
01-26-12, 09:17
Agreed that it's normal wear that I'd expect to see within the first couple hundred rounds.

And if it was? :confused:

Nothing wrong at all with grease in the right places....

Agreed on the grease, I use molykote 44 and it seems to be rather effective(and cheap!;))though I know most on here would NOT choose grease for their bcg lubricant. I've found when applied in the right way it eventually burns off as any other lube would I suppose, without "gumming" up the action or attracting additional dirt or fouling.