PDA

View Full Version : picture requested and answer needed

royta
12-16-07, 11:16
I have a Sabre Defense 16" mid-length upper (lower too for that matter). I currently have the removeable carry handle from my post-ban Bushmaster on top, but now I'd like to put a scope on it. What kind of accuracy can I expect with 55 gr Soft Point ammo out of my SDI 16" 1/7 Chrome Lined barrel, when using a high quality 3-9'ish scope? Are 1/2" groups out of the question? Can I expect 1" groups? Yes, this shooter is capable of it if the rifle is too. I can get 1/2" groups with my Pac-Nor barrelled .22-250 all day long.

I also would like to request pictures of a mid-length upper with FSB, LT SPR or ADM Recon type mount, scope, and foldable rear BUIS. If I go through with this, I think I would like to put a BUIS on it also, but am not sure if this is a normal practice.

Thanks.

Roy
sig229 on TOS

Failure2Stop
12-16-07, 14:13
1 MOA is not out of the question, but will most likely require you to test several different brands of ammo, if not different weights of ammo.

Since every barrel is different, and each brand (lot even) of ammo is different, testing several types may yield everything from superb to disappointing in terms of accuracy.

I would not expect 10-shot groups to be sub-MOA though.

royta
12-16-07, 20:02
1 MOA is not out of the question, but will most likely require you to test several different brands of ammo, if not different weights of ammo.

Since every barrel is different, and each brand (lot even) of ammo is different, testing several types may yield everything from superb to disappointing in terms of accuracy.

I would not expect 10-shot groups to be sub-MOA though.

I'm sure one of the biggest things working against my quest for sub-MOA groups with 55 grain ammo, would be the 1/7 twist and perhaps the chrome lined barrel. I know it's not fair to expect the same accuracy with factory ammo as I do with my .22-250, but I am hoping I can expect 100% to 150% (.50 inch to .75 inch) larger groups with Hornady 55gr V-MAX factory ammo. I was thinking of using my AR-15 for my future coyote endeavors.

What kind of accuracy have other SDI 16" 1/7 barrel owners gotten with high quality 55 gr ammo?

I was pleasantly surprised with this out of my .22-250 and factory Hornady 55 gr V-MAX ammo. Shots 1, 2, 3, and 5 were touching. Shot 4 brought it out to .75". I'll call that a flier. ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=435&stc=1&d=1197855825