PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Lights?

Shihan
12-16-07, 16:58
What do you guys think about using something compact like a TLR-1 or the upcoming X300 on an AR?

SuicideHz
12-16-07, 17:25
people have been using the TLRs and X200s for a long time.

USMC03
12-16-07, 17:32
Used a Surefire x300 on a SWAT entry on Friday night. I've been using an x200 on my primary SWAT gun since last spring.

Small, compact, lightweight, controls are easy to reach and operate, they put out more than enough light for most situations, etc. What's not to like.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Buckaroo
12-16-07, 19:58
Used a Surefire x300 on a SWAT entry on Friday night. I've been using an x200 on my primary SWAT gun since last spring.

Small, compact, lightweight, controls are easy to reach and operate, they put out more than enough light for most situations, etc. What's not to like.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

How much of a difference did you notice betwen the 200 and 300? Was the 200 an "A" or "B" model?

Thanks

Buckaroo

DRich
12-16-07, 23:06
I recently replaced two of my battered old X200B's with a pair of X300's and the difference is very noticeable. I put fresh batteries in both models for comparison purposes and it was similar to the difference between my 6P and 9P.

FWIW, I run them on an 11.5" AR and FN PS90. I think these types of lights (TLR/X200/X300/etc) are great for CQB carbines/shotguns.

Shihan
12-16-07, 23:21
Im getting cheap and I figured with outfitting my new carbines I would ude what I have laying around. So I guess I will mount a Glock light/laser or TLR on my new LMT. Its probably pretty easy to activate with a thumb or index finger depending on where its mounted.

DRich
12-17-07, 10:23
Im getting cheap and I figured with outfitting my new carbines I would ude what I have laying around. So I guess I will mount a Glock light/laser or TLR on my new LMT. Its probably pretty easy to activate with a thumb or index finger depending on where its mounted.

I use mine with tape switches, but a finger works, too.

tiger seven
12-17-07, 10:25
I keep a TLR-1 in the 9 o'clock position on my SBR. Since I'm a lefty, its placement is such that I can easily activate the switch to either position with the tip of my thumb, but not such that I'm likely to bump it accidentally. I'm just a regular guy, but since I live in an urban locale and any potential defensive use of my SBR would most likely be indoors or in the yard, it seems to have sufficient output (in a small, lightweight package) for my needs.

Derek

USMC03
12-17-07, 13:51
How much of a difference did you notice betwen the 200 and 300? Was the 200 an "A" or "B" model?

Thanks

Buckaroo

I had been using the "A" model. The x300 is brighter, but the x200 was more than adequate for most situations. The ONLY reason I went to the x300 is because I got a deal that I couldn't pass up on them.

This is one of the situations that changed my mind about the x200 on a rifle (from another post):

When looking for a suspect in a large field about a year and a half ago, I was surprised at how far the x200A threw light. I could make out items a longer distance than a 9v Surefire or a full sized Stream Light rechargeable light.

I think this has a lot of do with the focused beam on the X200A. I'm not real good at judging distance, but I would say we were 75 - 125 yards away from the focal point of the search when trying to identify items.

The first few years I was exposed to LED lights I wasn't too impressed with them. Kind of hard to explain, I guess my eyes just didn't like the color of LED lights. There wasn't enough contrast in the color cast by LED lights.

While doing an operation in the summer of 2006, I found that I could identify items at longer distances with the x200A, than could be identified with an incandecant Surefire 9v light or a Streamlight SL-20x (full sized rechargable light that most cops carry).

Due to this experience, I have been running a x200A on my primary SWAT gun for the last several months.

If I had to buy a new light for a carbine, I would buy the x300.

If I already had a x200A, a Surefire Scout, Surefire 961 (9 volt), Surefire E2e, etc. I would mount any of these lights on my carbine instead of going out and buying a x300.

Semper Fi,
Jeff