PDA

View Full Version : 2 dents when I eject a non-fired round sometimes

ronin8600
01-25-12, 16:47
I recently purchased a Knights SR-15 and everything seems to be working great, but I sometimes see 2 dents on non-fired rounds when I clear the rifle. I'm using Federal XM193F ammo.

Has anyone seen this before?

An Undocumented Worker
01-25-12, 17:05
I can't say that I've ever seen a round come out of either of my rifles looking like that. Whether they be fired or manually ejected live rounds.

What mags are you using?

Secondly I'd email KAC and send that picture with your question.

ronin8600
01-25-12, 17:16
I'm using 30rd PMAGS

mtdawg169
01-25-12, 17:18
I've only seen that with malfunctions like a short stroke. How are you chambering the rounds? You're not riding the charging handle are you? Has it ever malfunctioned while firing?

ronin8600
01-25-12, 19:35
I've only seen that with malfunctions like a short stroke. How are you chambering the rounds? You're not riding the charging handle are you? Has it ever malfunctioned while firing?

I've shot the gun 3 seperate times with these results

1st time
- No Failures, but had one ejected round with the 2 dents

2nd time
- Short stroked twice when I tried .223 steel cased ammo that my friend had.
- Went back to my Federal XM193F 5.56 ammo and everything worked fine with no failures, but was still seeing some ejected non-fired rounds with 2 dents

3rd time
- First round fired fine, but had 3 failure to fires in a row with some of the ejected rounds showing the 2 dents.
I had just cleaned my rifle the morning before so I chalked it up to bad ammo or I didn't lube it enough because I fired 150 rounds with no issues, but I never tried to eject a chambered round.

I don't think I'm riding the charging handle, but I did notice it's a little harder to pull back than other AR-15's I've tried.

It also has always locked backed on the last round when shooting 5.56 ammo.

Condition Write
01-25-12, 20:01
... I have no answer but I've seen that exact pattern, or at least a very similar one, out of a new FS2000 using Federal XM193F. That's during firing, not on chambering the first round of a fresh mag.

Not an M4 issue, strictly speaking, but I'm interested in the experts' analysis.

SpankMonkey
01-25-12, 20:17
Have you tried different mags? Do any of the empties look the same as non fired rds?

Failure2Stop
01-25-12, 20:45
That is not right.
Contact KAC.