PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a sling.....

wrx04
01-25-12, 20:10
Ive been lurking on here for the past week or two, while looking for my first AR. After reading many threads, i ended up buying a 6920. Its evident that this forum is full of guys who know what they are talking about, and i appreciate that.

I plan to keep my rifle pretty basic and shoot the hell out of it until i know what i want. I will be taking several carbine classes, if that helps at all. Ive heard a 2-point VTAC or VCAS is the way to go, but i dont even know the difference between the two. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

longrifle325
01-25-12, 20:17
http://www.savvysniper.com/
Check this sling out. Best of both if you ask me, plus its made by a fellow LEO in Ohio...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
01-25-12, 20:18
Your best bet is to go to a local store and look at the various slings and how it will feel.

Nothing we are going to tell you is going to help you. I also recommend you use Google and you should be able to see the difference between a VTAC and VCAS.

Ive been lurking on here for the past week or two, while looking for my first AR. After reading many threads, i ended up buying a 6920. Its evident that this forum is full of guys who know what they are talking about, and i appreciate that.

I plan to keep my rifle pretty basic and shoot the hell out of it until i know what i want. I will be taking several carbine classes, if that helps at all. Ive heard a 2-point VTAC or VCAS is the way to go, but i dont even know the difference between the two. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Todd00000
01-25-12, 20:21
Check this sling out. Best of both if you ask me, plus its made by a fellow LEO in Ohio...

I like it.

LRS143
01-25-12, 21:17
I put a VTAC on my 6933 two weeks ago and it's great.

reaver22
01-25-12, 21:44

I also like it and being in ohio I support small business from my state.

thanks for the link

maximus83
01-25-12, 22:16
As IG said, it's hard to "recommend" slings.

What I can say is--since you mentioned the VTAC--I got the new/improved VTAC with a new rifle this summer. And I really like it so far from just a couple of outings to the range and comparing it to the original one. I haven't put it through enough paces to say that it's drastically better than the original, but there are two really visible changes, these are also mentioned on the Viking Tactics site. They added a pull tab that makes it easier to adjust, and they added metal buckles, making it stronger. Mine is in black, and I just noticed on their site that it's ONLY available in black at this time. So if you get the new VTAC version, no color choices!

http://vikingtactics.com/slings_upgraded.html

Pax
01-26-12, 01:58
Ive been thinking of making an info thread on slings and suggesting a sticky for a while. These threads are just. Getting a bit repetitive. Some general info on types, applications, webbing, attachments and various hardware would be helpful, I think.

Anywho.. M4Carbine is largely a 2 point site. That is, if you ask for a sling, most of the senior members and SMEs will tell you to get a 2 point. Does this mean that you ought to never touch a singlepoint? Well. Thats up to you. Personally, I suggest experimenting with hybrid/1-to-2 point/convertible slings like Savvy Snipers, (though there are far cheaper options available, especially if you make your own), and determining what works best for you. Traditionally, 2 points retain the weapon well during motions that do not require use of the weapon but interfere with weapon controls far more than singlepoints. Singlepoints interfere very little with weapon controls but leave the weapon highly unsecured. It is retained, but it will flop and bounce around as it pleases as you move.

IWC has been making headlines recently with their QD triglide that converts most 2 points to convertible slings. Worth checking out, though I have no experience. I only make my own. If youd like any more info on making your own, just let me know.

Remember that any sling will work, but none are equal. Good luck.

rob_s
01-26-12, 04:22
When you don't know, err on the side of what's popular, and buy now and use it rather than wait for the perfect answer to reveal itself from the heavens.

There is a reason that the VCAS and VTAC have been so popular for so long and that in spite of all the new hotness that comes along they are still the most popular by far. Pick one, buy it, and start shooting. But go about it intelligently. If you choose a VTAC and it doesn't work for you, pay attention and figure out WHY it doesn't work for you. Then take that experience-based learning and evaluate other slings.

What I don't get is why some people jump in off the deep end and start trying things other than the established market leaders with no background. They wind up with things with bungies, odd clips all over the place, etc. all out of some desire to be odd I guess.

But get out and shoot. Whether you pick the established market leader(s) or decide to be weird, get out and use it.

sierra 223
01-28-12, 10:53
The Viking sling is great. Took me awhile to get used to it, all of my previous experience had been with a HK 3 pt sling. Once you figure it out and see what it can do, I think you will be very happy with it. All of our patrol rifles have them. A few people use the Vickers sling but I still prefer the Viking.

FailureDrill-P099
01-28-12, 11:03
Slings are one of those things you end up collecting. I have a nightstand full of them from over a decade of LE and GOV work, single points, two points, and three points.

Right now I have Gear Sector GS-2P on two 6920's. I loved them and they work great for me. I agree with the fact that you are going to have to get a few and decide.

I think if you stick to the VTAC,Gear Sector and other 2 points that are similar, you will be happy and narrow it down faster.

HeavyDuty
01-28-12, 11:18
I'm low speed-high drag and still new to slinging. I suggest you try a simple, inexpensive Boonie Packer 2P-TQA to you can start building your own frame of reference without blowing a lot of money on the more boutique brands. You can learn a lot about what you like, don't like and need with this $16 sling - and that's the delivered price.

I haven't outgrown mine yet. I take them to my local shoe repair guy and have him stitch in a front QD or HK hook and add an IWC 221 slide to allow me to use them as a convertible 1/2.

cop1211
01-28-12, 18:27
I like the Emdom gunslinger, Urban Ert 2/1, and the savvy sniper 2/1.

Armati
01-28-12, 19:07
I am a huge Kyle Lamb fan. I tried the VTAC for a while and then tried the BFG Vickers. I like the Vickers better. It has a thicker more ridged webbing and I prefer the way it drapes. I like the feel of the slider better. The fastex buckle allows the sling to become a single point for times when I want to push the gun completely out of the way to preform a task.

sgtjosh
01-28-12, 19:46
I feel the VTAC adjusts quicker and easier, but not so quick as to justify the tail.

I use a VCAS padded sling and dig it.

rathos
01-29-12, 02:00
I am also running the gear sector GS-2P on two of my rifles. My issued duty rifle and my personal gun. The guys at my department liked them so much they are looking to switch out the issued black hawk models when our next purchase is supposed to happen.

Slings are one of those things you end up collecting. I have a nightstand full of them from over a decade of LE and GOV work, single points, two points, and three points.

Right now I have Gear Sector GS-2P on two 6920's. I loved them and they work great for me. I agree with the fact that you are going to have to get a few and decide.

I think if you stick to the VTAC,Gear Sector and other 2 points that are similar, you will be happy and narrow it down faster.

FailureDrill-P099
01-29-12, 16:16
I am also running the gear sector GS-2P on two of my rifles. My issued duty rifle and my personal gun. The guys at my department liked them so much they are looking to switch out the issued black hawk models when our next purchase is supposed to happen.

Funny thats how It went at my department. Our issue sling was a Blackhawk 3 point years ago. I threw that POS in the trash. I messed around with some single points on my 0933 commando for a while and they have their place, But I found the Gear Sector fit me nicely as an all around sling. IMHO the GS-2P for 39 bucks is a deal.

mercop
02-01-12, 09:05
Liking things as simple as possible I have been rocking the SL ONE Sling from Adventure Outfitters (http://mail.myptsmail.com/mercop/blog/?p=1871).- George

wrx04
02-01-12, 13:02
Well, i bought one. I went with a padded VCAS from blueforce. It should do the trick for now.

Is it advisable to get a quick detach setup?

rob_s
02-01-12, 13:32
Well, i bought one. I went with a padded VCAS from blueforce. It should do the trick for now.

I find it easier to work on the gun, put it in the safe, etc. if I can remove the sling. I can also then use the sling on more than one gun, which if helpful in many cases. I can only shoot one at a time, so I only need one of any kind of sling.

markm
02-01-12, 13:38

Depends what kind... It's nice to be able to take the sling off when you're cleaning the upper. But I don't trust those ball bearing detent style QD attachements.... I've seen those balls rust and get sticky, and they have a way of not being attached when you least expect them.