PDA

View Full Version : Armalite or Daniel Defence trigger?

ford7379trucks
01-25-12, 23:57
I have a lightly used Armalite 1 stage trigger but i ordered a DD LPK for my new project. Im woundering what trigger i should use. The DD is new and can be sold as new. the Armalite has 500 rounds on it. I just want what ever trigger it best. and sell the other. So what is the view on the 2. Is the DD better then the Armalite? Are they the same? should i sell both and get a SSA-E:D (maby but not now)

VIP3R 237
01-26-12, 00:38
From my experience the dd lpks usually have a heavier pull than some of the other triggers out there, but I personally would try them both in your lower and see which one you prefer. As far as the ssa-e... Its a nice trigger but theres the saying "fix the shooter, then the trigger" if you feel the standard trigger is holding you back then go for it.

thopkins22
01-26-12, 01:02
There's no hard data that can describe which is "best." Nobody seems to be able or willing to describe what the specs are for the lower parts.

But I'd stick with the Daniel Defense trigger without hesitation. Their commitment to quality materials and the appropriate manufacturing/QA/QC/assembly on their other parts leaves me with much more faith that their lower parts are good to go.

It's a GI trigger. It won't ever be a match trigger(I'd be worried if it felt like one,) if that's what you want go buy a Geisselle. But it will smooth out(your Armalite may have already done that and feel better initially. A few range trips and a few dry fire sessions will correct that.

ETA: Yes, go buy an SSA or SSA-E.

jet80tv
01-26-12, 09:06
I recently acquired and installed a DD lpk and I believe the trigger pull is lighter than my other gun that has a spikes NiB fcg and JP reduced power springs.

ford7379trucks
01-26-12, 10:47
what i ment to say is does the DD trigger stand out above the Armalite. if not ill sell it as new because it will be right out of the bag. Sounds like its just a standared trigger so i think i mite sell it.I know the Armalite is a nice trigger and the quality of Armalite is as good as it gets.

Blankwaffe
01-26-12, 11:21
Ive had excellent performance with Armalites standard trigger for years,and since its already used I just run it.That said I have both and can't tell any difference in overall performance of the triggers.
One thing I do prefer overall is the Armalite bolt catch as it has a bit more material around the pad,is flat and full length serrated.
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EL0230&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c
Keep the DD kit as a spare or for future builds since its already paid for.

ra2bach
01-26-12, 11:40
I wouldn't say Armalite is "as good as it gets" though I've had one of their 2-stage triggers and it was fine. nice and smooth and was tunable for weight by moving the trigger spring into different positions. I only put a few thousand rounds on it but was always reliable and consistent in that time.

I think the DD parts are all good to go. my only gripe with DD triggers is that they vary a bit in weight and smoothness between different examples but it has been stated that they are mil-triggers and this is to be expected.

I bought a DD LPK and was amazed at how smooth the DD trigger it had in it. :)

and then the trigger that came on my DD M4 had a trigger that broke like the last turn of the key on a sardine can... :(

ford7379trucks
01-26-12, 11:41
already paid for but not shipped. said instock ordered it a week ago and still prossesing. no one els had it in stock

ra2bach
01-26-12, 11:42
Ive had excellent performance with Armalites standard trigger for years,and since its already used I just run it.That said I have both and can't tell any difference in overall performance of the triggers.
One thing I do prefer overall is the Armalite bolt catch as it has a bit more material around the pad,is flat and full length serrated.
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EL0230&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c
Keep the DD kit as a spare or for future builds since its already paid for.

I agree with this. having spares is always good...

Blankwaffe
01-26-12, 12:26
My preference is for a standard trigger....and I actually prefer the LMT standard trigger over any Ive used.That combined with the LMT RE and SOPMOD is why I just buy complete LMT Defender lowers nowadays.Heck of a deal all things considered.

ETA
Interested in how these pan out as well.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=97266

Blankwaffe
01-26-12, 12:33
already paid for but not shipped. said instock ordered it a week ago and still prossesing. no one els had it in stock

Don't know who the order is with,but here is one as well:
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/DD-05-013-21007.aspx

ford7379trucks
01-26-12, 12:41
got it for $73 at Palmetto

Blankwaffe
01-26-12, 13:05
I wouldn't say Armalite is "as good as it gets" though I've had one of their 2-stage triggers and it was fine. nice and smooth and was tunable for weight by moving the trigger spring into different positions. I only put a few thousand rounds on it but was always reliable and consistent in that time.

I think the DD parts are all good to go. my only gripe with DD triggers is that they vary a bit in weight and smoothness between different examples but it has been stated that they are mil-triggers and this is to be expected.

I bought a DD LPK and was amazed at how smooth the DD trigger it had in it. :)

and then the trigger that came on my DD M4 had a trigger that broke like the last turn of the key on a sardine can... :(

Meant to ask.
Was that one of the earlier model DD's that had the notched hammers?

ford7379trucks
01-26-12, 15:22
it looks like it has a notched hammer why? my Armalite is to not going to use a 22 kit

Quentin
01-26-12, 16:48
As far as triggers in LPKs, they are going to vary in pull and smoothness as ra2bach said - even by the same manufacturer.

I put an ArmaLite LPK in an ArmaLite stripped lower when Blankwaffe mentioned quite a while ago about their unique bolt catch and have been very happy with that LPK (thank you again Mr. Blankwaffe!) But the trigger was heavy because of very strong springs so I ended up putting in a Stag notched hammer, disco and trigger group which yielded a wonderful military trigger action.

I have a DD LPK in another AR which gave me almost as good a trigger as that Stag. Another Stag LPK has a trigger not as good as the first Stag and DD. A third Stag LPK (all three from BCM) had a horrible trigger as did a Del-Ton LPK.

The only way you're going to know for sure is try that particular ArmaLite trigger and DD trigger. Gotta break the eggs to make that omlette! And besides as has been mentioned before it's good to have a spare LPK laying around.

For my next LPK, I'm going with DD again.

ra2bach
01-26-12, 16:54
Meant to ask.
Was that one of the earlier model DD's that had the notched hammers?

yes. that bad one that is...

I replaced it with a GI single-stage trigger from a CMT LPK and it was butter smooth. go figure...

Blankwaffe
01-26-12, 18:53
yes. that bad one that is...

I replaced it with a GI single-stage trigger from a CMT LPK and it was butter smooth. go figure...

I was curious,one of the family members had a similar FCG issue on one of the early model XV's a year or so ago.DD was super quick in taking care of it too by the way.

I have not seen any new DD's,and I may be mistaken,but seems I remember reading that DD has stopped using the notched type hammer.Can anyone confirm?

Blankwaffe
01-26-12, 19:21
As far as triggers in LPKs, they are going to vary in pull and smoothness as ra2bach said - even by the same manufacturer.

I put an ArmaLite LPK in an ArmaLite stripped lower when Blankwaffe mentioned quite a while ago about their unique bolt catch and have been very happy with that LPK (thank you again Mr. Blankwaffe!) But the trigger was heavy because of very strong springs so I ended up putting in a Stag notched hammer, disco and trigger group which yielded a wonderful military trigger action.

I have a DD LPK in another AR which gave me almost as good a trigger as that Stag. Another Stag LPK has a trigger not as good as the first Stag and DD. A third Stag LPK (all three from BCM) had a horrible trigger as did a Del-Ton LPK.

The only way you're going to know for sure is try that particular ArmaLite trigger and DD trigger. Gotta break the eggs to make that omlette! And besides as has been mentioned before it's good to have a spare LPK laying around.

For my next LPK, I'm going with DD again.

Yeap,triggers will vary greatly even from the same manufacturer.After some use most times than not they do smooth out and become acceptable.Keeping them well lubed helps.In fact when I install a new trigger,or on a new factory assembled lower I use TW25B liberally applied on the pins and contacts for breakin.

Armalite 2 stage triggers are pretty darn nice/consistent from the factory,and easy to adjust.From what Ive seen they are durable too.I just don't care(or trust) for a 2-stage trigger on an AR as Im so accustomed to a heavy and reliable standard trigger for my needs.Heavy triggers are needed if you plan wearing shooting/tactical gloves.
That said,I even run standard triggers on my varmint rigs.Once they are learned you don't pay much attention to them.

By the way thats another nice feature of the LMT lower assemblies,they electronically check the trigger pulls for consistency.One of the smoothest standard triggers available IMHO.

Quentin
01-26-12, 19:51
I was curious,one of the family members had a similar FCG issue on one of the early model XV's a year or so ago.DD was super quick in taking care of it too by the way.

I have not seen any new DD's,and I may be mistaken,but seems I remember reading that DD has stopped using the notched type hammer.Can anyone confirm?

The DD LPK I got about 8 months ago had an unnotched hammer. I hope to pick up another tomorrow and will report back which hammer it has.

Blankwaffe
01-26-12, 19:54
The DD LPK I got about 8 months ago had an unnotched hammer. I hope to pick up another tomorrow and will report back which hammer it has.

Thats what I thought.Thanks Quentin.

LowandLeft
01-26-12, 20:02
I just installed a DD LPK on a recent build and was very pleased with the quality. As said previously, the trigger felt a bit heavy but very crisp. Good ol' mil single stage. I'd say, for the amount you could get for the trigger you may as well keep it for a spare.

ford7379trucks
02-12-12, 00:12
no notch on the DD hammer i got.

fdxpilot
02-12-12, 07:05
I know the Armalite is a nice trigger and the quality of Armalite is as good as it gets.

Just curious about this statement, especially given your avatar. Why do you say this? Are you under the misplaced assumption that the Armalite selling rifles and parts today has any connection beyond the name, with the company that originally developed the AR15? That company disappeared in the mid-eighties. The current Armalite makes decent stuff, but hardly as good as it gets.

madcratebuilder
02-12-12, 07:54
Just curious about this statement, especially given your avatar. Why do you say this? Are you under the misplaced assumption that the Armalite selling rifles and parts today has any connection beyond the name, with the company that originally developed the AR15? That company disappeared in the mid-eighties. The current Armalite makes decent stuff, but hardly as good as it gets.

I've built at least a dozen lowers with ArmaLite LPK's. About a 50/50 mix of two stage and single stage triggers.

What LPK parts have you personally used that are superior to what ArmaLite uses?

I have used DD, G&R and other LPK's in the past, these are nice but I see nothing superior about them. The only complaint I have with ArmaLite is a few magazine releases had a less than perfect finish, pretty minor thing for me to snivel about. The fit and function was perfect.

ArmaLite trigger pins have always fit very nicely for me, and have a nice finish surface. I prefer the unique bolt release. The single stage triggers, like all others is the luck of the draw. Some are noticeably better than others. Checking the spring and pins against known specs, they all meet the spec.

The ArmaLite two stage LPK for $120 is one of the best bargains on the AR market.

I think the ArmaLite two stage trigger is among the best you can use. I hand tune after about 500 rds and the results are every bit as good as any after market trigger on the market, plus it's easily adjustable in .5lb increments with a simple spring position change.

My highest round count is only about 4k on these, but I think many well agree the FCG is a maintenance part like the BCG. YMMV

Quentin
02-12-12, 11:18

Had to wait on the new DD LPK but have it now ... Hammer again is unnotched.

Ratfink
02-12-12, 11:19
i like my standard dd trigger than came with my dd rifle but i did replace it but it was fine

Blankwaffe
02-12-12, 15:38
Had to wait on the new DD LPK but have it now ... Hammer again is unnotched.

Thanks again for the confirmation.Good to know.

Blankwaffe
02-12-12, 17:51

I have this same silly purist statement repeated and thrown out at me frequently on forums as well as in person on ranges,and Im just not tracking on it.

For the purists I also have to ask,just which original U.S. firearms manufacturer of distinguished name actually is an original company anymore?

Hell most all of the oldest big name brands have been sold,reformed under new ownership and management mulitple times since their origin.
Good example is Colt,go read the history.Or Remington and S&W for that matter.But we all call them Colt,Remington and S&W without slapping brands in the face with historical purist beliefs.

That said,I guess if I wanted to be a purist and buy from an "original" manufacturer of distinguished name,I'd say that would be LMT for me.Karl Lewis has the same management and manufacturing company.He has also made innovations in the design.

My question to folks chest pounding in regards to the "original Armalite Div.of" etc.,beyond Eugene Stoner creating the design and solely responsible for such,what did the original Armalite as a manufacturer ever do for enhancing and furthering design progression,commercially or otherwise in the time it was in operation?

How many "original Armalite" manufacturered AR's do these same purists actually own,or have even seen in person beyond museum pictures etc.?

How much market share did the "original Armalite"(and which phase of operation) ever have involved in the AR market,commercial or otherwise?

In fact in the time that the original Armalite was in business it was passed around like a bad penny before it became defunct and the name sold to oversea's holdings.

So what was/is so grand about the "original Armalite" company?

Did they have the current specs and evaluations we hold true in todays current AR/M16/M4 configurations?

If folks want to praise someone for original design,the payment due is to given soley to Eugene Stoner.
The progress of the AR design has been driven by Colt since early inception.

So,the way I see it Mark Westrom aquired the rights to the Armalite name and brought in back home to the U.S of A where it belongs.He has had the Armalite brand under the same roof,ownership and management for 17+ years with a business that has ran non-stop the entire time.

Westrom in that time has also developed the mid-length gas system,his own improved bolt design and brought an affordable AR10 with converted high capacity magazine to the market during difficult political times.Has recently redesigned his AR10 to use the original "Stoner legacy" magazine.
He was/is also the driving force behind the SPR.

That to me,IMHO is more than enough innovative justification for an operating company to be worthy of being called,for name sake, Armalite Inc..

Now,do I think that the current Armalite rifles are perfect?
No.But they are not as nearly as bad as some folks would play them out to be either.

IMHO Armalite could do a few details different with the M15 series and be solidly in the hunt with their competition.
As example of personal opinion:
1.Standardizing barrel twists to 1:7 or my preference 1:8.
2.Improve build details such as stake RE castle nuts etc..
3.Use the original design M16 type bolt carriers.
4.Use spec'd 7000 series RE's.

Some folks will want to argue HPT/MPI components standardization...that has been debated on this forum listing previously,and that can rest there as far as Im concerned without futher debate.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1008341#post1008341

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=306620#post306620

Otherwise I have no complaints with the current offerings from Armalite.

Thats my opinion and it can be taken for what its worth.