PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get some emergency medical training...

Chris17404
01-26-12, 07:06
Hi all,

This year, I have resolved to get some serious medical training in an effort to better handle emergency situations that myself, family, or friends may encounter. I'd like your input on how to start and how to progress. My ultimate goal is basically to have the skills needed to handle anything from first aid/CPR to traumatic wounds (e.g. gunshots, etc).

I've been doing a bit of research online as well as reading some of the medical/emergency sub-forums on the Internet forums of which I'm a member. A few ideas I've found include:

Red Cross Basic First Aid/CPR/AES class
Red Cross Wilderness/Remote class
Red Cross Emergency First Responder class
Pennsylvania EMS-Basic cert from local community college
Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)
Combat/Traumatic Wound Training (e.g. Grey Group Training, etc)

I'm not necessarily looking to do this as a profession, and thus not looking for any particular certification (but that would be nice). I'm just not quite sure if some of the certification classes above (e.g. EMT-B) is really what I'm looking for. I suspect it may be a lot more than I really need/unnecessary training.

What organizations would you suggest I contact for information on this, and what type of courses (specific, if possible) would you recommend? Assume I'm starting this from square 1.

Thanks.

Chris

chuckman
01-26-12, 08:38
Basic first aid with CPR will cover 99% of what you will experience in life. First responder will cover 99.5% of what you will experience in life.

Once you get into EMT you start to encounter more 'things' and not 'things' you'll likely carry or need very often if at all: OB kit, oxygen, different types of splints and litters, etc. Besides, if you do not plan on performing at that level, you'll lose a lot of the skills and knowledge and you won't likely get the CE to re-cert anyway.

Contact the local Red Cross or community college for these courses.

nineteenkilo
01-26-12, 12:49
Basic first aid with CPR will cover 99% of what you will experience in life. First responder will cover 99.5% of what you will experience in life.

Contact the local Red Cross or community college for these courses.

This in a nutshell. Especially plus1 for the community college route. I have seen some pretty bad Red Cross stuff. Of course, I have also seen some very good Red Cross stuff lol. As a generalization, I would say you might get a little better educational experience in a community college setting where teaching and learning is more then norm.

If you think you will ever come into contact with blowout repairs, then I would agree with EMT or higher even if you don't keep the certification. If not, first responder is good stuff and taught properly, takes a good bit of time to learn.

Edit** I forgot to mention AED training. I see more and more AED units in public places so it might be a good idea to spend a little time on this just in case.

montanadave
01-26-12, 13:00
Having some anatomy, physiology, and pathophysiology education is also worth a lot. Take an A&P course at a local community college. Having a better understanding of the machine you're working on and how it functions will make whatever skills training you acquire much more valuable and also enable you to be far more effective in assessing medical emergencies. Bear in mind that under most disaster circumstances where access to conventional medical resources is interrupted, proficiency at routine management of chronic medical conditions may be just as valuable, if not more so, than emergency trauma care.

ballsout
01-26-12, 22:47
just get your emt basic and if you want you can get wilderness added to be W-EMT-B

If you want to learn more airway and IV stuff you can take Intermediate EMT after Basic. All this can be done in less than a year.

SteepandDeep
02-15-12, 10:55
Dear Dude,

The most bang for your buck will come from a Wilderness First Responder Course taught by WMI and NOLS.

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/

The class I took was 8 or 9 days long, not in my home town so plan on camping out nearby or getting a cheap room. They run about $500 bucks and are rad. The CC EMT courses and Red cross are stuck in the old school power point/video/practice on eachother/lather rinse and repeat method of teaching. WMI selects NOLS instructors and professionals from EMS to teach their classes with an emphasis on the learning style. Most courses are taught without a powerpoint presentation in sight. Very Refreshing.

CERT programs are legit and are usually taught by Ex Fire/Medics, Retired Emergency RNs and such. The Grey Group class you spoke of will probably be sweet, but $$.

Punisher1336
02-23-12, 22:13
Book learning is okay but nothing is better than real world experience. Have you considered joining a Vol Amb Corp? They will provide you with free training PLUS real world application in the field. I am sure it can be a time consuming venture, but what better way to learn.

Hizzie
03-01-12, 14:05
In the past I took Red Cross First Aid/CPR and Emergency First Responder training. I recently jumped ship from LE to EMS and obtained my NREMT-Basic Certification. It was challenging but the information and skills obtained were significant and well worth the time and modest cost.

I assume you want more than boo-boo training. GSW's are not the only serious injury that require medical attention one faces in the field. I was hit by a car. Like "tactical" skills medical skills are perishable and require practice (or use) regularly. IMHO go fo the EMT-B and voluteer with your local 911 service a day or two a month to stay fresh. You can do a "tactical medicine" type 2-3 day class to supplement your EMT training at a later time.

Just my $.02

keller
03-05-12, 22:03
Also take a TCCC class, should be able to find one near your area.

Wake27
03-05-12, 23:03
Also take a TCCC class, should be able to find one near your area.

Jason Falla from Redback 1 is offering a bunch of TC3 courses. Definitely should check those out, I think they're 3 or 5 days long and I'm sure pretty comprehensive.

durus5995
03-12-12, 03:05
I was in the OPs position not to long ago. I took the "Bullets and bandages" class and I would highly recommend for any responsible citizen to take this class. It is taught by Kerry Davis (formally of Magpul) and he really does a great job of breaking everything down so the every day Joe can under stand it. This is basically the Magpul shooters aid class under a new company.

Here is the info on the class.:

http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/Courses/ShowCourseDetails.aspx?CourseID=211

http://www.sigsaueracademy.com/SiteMap/ShowInstructorInfo.aspx?staffid=69

AARs:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100220
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90296

Retaks
03-12-12, 03:32
I saw you live in PA. Just so you know if you get your first responder in PA and decide you want to go get your EMT they have a bridge course. When i took it i had 3 classes a week for 4 weeks. It makes it alot easier to transfer from being a first responder to an EMT.

dmaxfireman
03-12-12, 10:02
It has been said above but I am going to elaborate a little;

Taking the class is a great first step, BUT, what you learn and practice in the class is like dipping your toes in the water and expecting to be ready to compete as an olympic swimmer.

You have all the basic knowledge and passed the practical exams and know the book. But practicing in the real world is a whole new ball game. Then you mention being able to care for a family member in an emergency, this is another level in itself and takes your real world skills as well as your ability to compartmentalize your emotion and not let it interfere with the ability to do what needs to be done. I have unfortunately been in the shoes of caring for a family member during an emergency on more than one occasion. ( I do not wish my bad luck on anybody) My father had a stroke and dropped in the shower at 4am. I was the only one awake, I was 18 and was getting ready to go to work before a job interview that afternoon. When stabilizing and assisting medics start an IV and transport my dad my mother was uncontrollably crying and my brother was frozen literally in the fetal position on the floor in his room.

There are two more instances that are private and I will not go into but you will not know if you can handle a family emergency until you find yourself being the only one capable of helping.

I have going on 8 years experience in the Fire/EMS field and just last year one of my co-workers found her daughter choking and turning blue. She has 5 years of real life experience and is fantastic at her job. She froze, dialed 911 and panicked, luckily her daughter coughed the obstruction out and was fine aside from a sore throat. Her training and experience are more than capable of handling the situation but she could not control her emotion.

I strongly suggest that if you want to take a class in first aid / first response or take an EMT or Paramedic program absolutely do it. But if your intentions are for this training to potentially save the life of a friend or family member PLEASE enroll in a PT / FT / or volunteer EMS provider that will give you some real world experience.

I apologize for the long winded response but feel that it was good info for the OP

Redback One
03-12-12, 11:51
Chris,

We can offer all of what you're looking for, please contact our office:

Medical (TCCC) Course Development
Chris Van Houten
Email: Chris@redbackone.com
Cell: (361) 626-5352

Redback One Director of Training
Jason Falla
Email: Jason@redbackone.com
Cell: (757) 839-8375

If you send an email please cc: both Jason and myself giselle@redbackone.com

We look forward to hearing from you.

Also, just an FYI: We added medical to all of our tactical courses starting this year:

Redback One continues to raise the bar and set the standard in the industry by adding Combat Medicine and Combatives to all Tactical Courses. You will receive training in Tactical Combat Casualty Care and Care Under Fire. You will be taught how to identify life threatening trauma and save a life in a gun fight. You will be able to employ advanced combatives techniques to situations that require a non-kinetic response or if your weapon is negated during a hands-on fight! Deploying secondary and auxiliary weapons to regain the initiative is imperative in order to prevail in a lethal force encounter. Redback One, mission focused and combat oriented. Paving the way in tactical training.

Hi all,

This year, I have resolved to get some serious medical training in an effort to better handle emergency situations that myself, family, or friends may encounter. I'd like your input on how to start and how to progress. My ultimate goal is basically to have the skills needed to handle anything from first aid/CPR to traumatic wounds (e.g. gunshots, etc).

I've been doing a bit of research online as well as reading some of the medical/emergency sub-forums on the Internet forums of which I'm a member. A few ideas I've found include:

Red Cross Basic First Aid/CPR/AES class
Red Cross Wilderness/Remote class
Red Cross Emergency First Responder class
Pennsylvania EMS-Basic cert from local community college
Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT)
Combat/Traumatic Wound Training (e.g. Grey Group Training, etc)

I'm not necessarily looking to do this as a profession, and thus not looking for any particular certification (but that would be nice). I'm just not quite sure if some of the certification classes above (e.g. EMT-B) is really what I'm looking for. I suspect it may be a lot more than I really need/unnecessary training.

What organizations would you suggest I contact for information on this, and what type of courses (specific, if possible) would you recommend? Assume I'm starting this from square 1.

Thanks.

Chris