PDA

View Full Version : First SBR: DDmk18 - odd selector?

ASH556
01-26-12, 10:40
Well, I threw down the scratch yesterday on this bad boy. Now I'm in for the wait. In playing with it, one of the first things I noticed was the selector. I've never seen one like this and my other DD rifle's selector is not like this. Anyone ever seen this?

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DD20MK18202.jpg

SteadyUp
01-26-12, 13:11
Nothing wrong with that selector. It's the same size selector that is on my Colt LE6920. The DD lower I have has a slightly smaller (in length and width) selector lever than the Colt.

amd5007
01-26-12, 15:42
Nothing wrong, that looks normal. Some time ago Colt changed the design of the selector, extending the bulk forward. Recently companies have been making the switch, Daniel Defense and Palmetto are the two that come to mind.

Other than that, what do you think of the mk18? What accessories are you planning to install on the rifle? I'm not really into building "clones" of rifles, but the CQBR upper is my one exception. Right now I am just waiting for the stamp.

ASH556
01-26-12, 15:54
Other than that, what do you think of the mk18? What accessories are you planning to install on the rifle?

I love it! It's almost so short it's scary. A buddy of mine who is current active duty SF was there as I was doing the paperwork and he commented that they were loving theirs. He also commented that they got a new batch of DD barrels on their guns before their last deployment and they were good to go and very accurate. That simply boosted my confidence.

I did notice some tooling marks under the finish on the rail where the bolts go in to secure it to the barrel nut, but nothing major. Trigger was decent.

I yanked the MOE stock off it already and gave it to my SF buddy (he said he wanted it). I'm planning to grab a B5 sopmod in FDE. I already have the sopmod on my 16" gun and it is my preferred stock, plus, I feel it is part of what makes a MK18 look like a MK18.

Other additions will include:
FDE MIAD grip
Vickers Sling

I'll also be pulling the T1, Danger Close Handstop, Surefire 6PX/Gearsector, and KAC sights (99051 front/200-600M rear) off of my 16" gun and running them on here.

SF buddy also had high things to say about the T1.

The plan is to turn the 16" into something Recce/SPR-ish (the magnifier is already gone):

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_5944.jpg

amd5007
01-26-12, 16:51
Nice, yeah, it's a solid set-up. I have been slowly assembling parts since I mailed in the paperwork and last week I bought a Colt upper and the DD barrel and I built the upper.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=2460

He also commented that they got a new batch of DD barrels on their guns before their last deployment and they were good to go and very accurate. That simply boosted my confidence.

That is surprising. I know the discussion of what parts constitute the mk18/CQBR can get heated very quickly. But I would like to know how certain he is they were DD barrels? Does he have any pics or markings that he can provide of their DD origins?

ASH556
01-26-12, 17:16
Nice, yeah, it's a solid set-up. I have been slowly assembling parts since I mailed in the paperwork and last week I bought a Colt upper and the DD barrel and I built the upper.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=2460

That is surprising. I know the discussion of what parts constitute the mk18/CQBR can get heated very quickly. But I would like to know how certain he is they were DD barrels? Does he have any pics or markings that he can provide of their DD origins?

No. Maybe if I asked him to take some next time they went for training, but he's not really that kind of guy. He's more of a user if you know what I mean. I didn't post that to try and start another war of "official SOCOM MK18 vendors." Lord knows enough bad blood came out of the last one with the LMT issues.:suicide:

In other news: your upper looks like it's coming along nicely!

amd5007
01-26-12, 22:03
Thanks. It took a couple months to accumulate the parts, but since I don't have the papers it doesn't matter (full legal disclosure: I keep the upper at a separate residence till I get the stamp). I originally went with a PSA 10.5 barrel because DD barrels were non-existent for what seemed like ever. Then all of the sudden they were on sale at PK so I bought the correct 10.3" and sold the PSA barrel. Everything is a clone (as best I can do) of a members. As I said, I'm not much into making a clone for a clones sake, but the CQBR upper is one of the sexiest looking uppers out there.

karmapolice
01-28-12, 09:27
Nice job, love how the sf buddy gets all the credit not your lowly cop buddy :D

ASH556
01-28-12, 09:34
Nice job, love how the sf buddy gets all the credit not your lowly cop buddy :D

LOL! Did you get my text last night about sweeping the range, lowly cop buddy?:D Actually, I do have you to thank for turning me on to the DD MK18. I need to shoot yours while mine is still in lockdown.:D

Seriously, though, We need to go shoot in the next 2 wks without a doubt. SF buddy also highly recommended some local CHEAP training from his SF buddy! Let's hit it up!

karmapolice
01-28-12, 09:37
haha no my phone has been in the car since 6pm last night and I haven't gotten it out. I am down for shooting just let me know, I can bring my dd mk18/kac hybrid. Also I am down for training but I don't know if I trust the recommending source lol j/k.

ASH556
02-17-12, 08:29
KP and I got out and shot some on Saturday. He was kind enough to bring his KAC/DD MK18 hybrid and let me run a few rounds through it. After shooting this config, I'm beginning to question my sight choice.

I used an Aimpoint back in the day when ARMS mounts were the only thing out and really didn't care for the ABSCO sight picture. Since then, I've always just run flips front and rear to keep the sight picture un-cluttered, but I'll be honest, I didn't even notice the irons with this setup. Maybe there is something to the whole "lower 1/3 co-witness" thing. The DD A1.5's are hella cheaper than the KAC flips I have too.

Then again, I kinda like the notion of a more accurate "clone" with the KAC flips. Any thoughts one way or the other? I mean, if I've got fixed sights, why not go Mod0 with a true FSB instead of the bolt-on fixed front. Rail estate and light placement? Decisions, decisions. Thanks to Uncle Sam-bo, I've still got 4 months to decide!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/20120211_134340.jpg

karmapolice
02-17-12, 23:48
sexy rifle, you know my answer but thats obvious. Why did you have to make me want to rock the SOPMOD on all my rifles again fricking things are pricey.

ASH556
02-18-12, 09:58
sexy rifle, you know my answer but thats obvious. Why did you have to make me want to rock the SOPMOD on all my rifles again fricking things are pricey.

Yeah, but B5 is helping mitigate that. You can get them for $99 now!:meeting:

Jason F
02-18-12, 16:04
Well, I threw down the scratch yesterday on this bad boy. Now I'm in for the wait. In playing with it, one of the first things I noticed was the selector. I've never seen one like this and my other DD rifle's selector is not like this. Anyone ever seen this?

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/DD20MK18202.jpg

Ash556- Just realized you're sort of local to where I am (Lawrenceville/Grayson) and wondered where you got your DD Mk18?

It's next on my "want" list, but my LGS (Bullseye in Lawrenceville) never seems to have one for me to even fondle. I've talked to the guys out at Clyde's and gotten a price quote from them, and they even said they usually have a few on hand.... but it's a bit of a hike over there just to fondle one.

Did you find one in the Gwinnett area somewhere?

ASH556
02-18-12, 17:12
Ash556- Just realized you're sort of local to where I am (Lawrenceville/Grayson) and wondered where you got your DD Mk18?

It's next on my "want" list, but my LGS (Bullseye in Lawrenceville) never seems to have one for me to even fondle. I've talked to the guys out at Clyde's and gotten a price quote from them, and they even said they usually have a few on hand.... but it's a bit of a hike over there just to fondle one.

Did you find one in the Gwinnett area somewhere?

I got it at Bullseye. Jeremy keeps some of the NFA toys in his office, so you have to go Mon-Fri 10-6 or Sat before noon. KP and I both worked at Bullseye for several years.

dl021
02-18-12, 22:35

Did you find one in the Gwinnett area somewhere?There will be a couple at Chucks Firearms in Buckhead soon. There are several SBRs in stock right now, including Colt 6933 and 6945s. Ask for Jack...

Jason F
02-19-12, 13:06
I got it at Bullseye. Jeremy keeps some of the NFA toys in his office, so you have to go Mon-Fri 10-6 or Sat before noon. KP and I both worked at Bullseye for several years.

Ah ha, so that's the secret.... ;)

Thanks for the tip though, I'll have to swing by when Jeremy's there and ask him to see what he's got on hand.

Good luck with the wait for your Mk18. That's the part that's tearing me up about buying one, is plunking down all that cash and having nothing to show for it for 5 or 6 months. Enjoy the new blaster when you get it!

ASH556
08-01-12, 08:55
I wanted to update this thread. I brought her home last week and just finished getting her all set up last night. She's still a virgin, but I hope to get to the range and fix that tonight.

One interesting thing that I noticed, the lower is marked, "Cal - Multi" whereas my other DD lower is marked "Cal - 5.56". Interesting. Are they only doing the factory SBR lowers that way, or are all the newer lowers that way?

Pics:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9764.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9765.jpg
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9766.jpg

My small stamp collection:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_9780.jpg

Meth0d
08-01-12, 11:38
One interesting thing that I noticed, the lower is marked, "Cal - Multi" whereas my other DD lower is marked "Cal - 5.56". Interesting. Are they only doing the factory SBR lowers that way, or are all the newer lowers that way?

My new DDM4v5 with the M4 Rail has the lower marked "Cal - Multi". I think it's just their new rollmark.