PDA

View Full Version : Is the Kino worth the extra ~$70?

chapperjoe
01-26-12, 12:18
Extra real estate, longer iron sight radius, but you lose the ability to mount certain reflex cans, don't you?

I like the 12.5" barrel length on an SBR (going to be my first), and I REALLY like dissipators, so considering the Kino.... thoughts?

jwfuhrman
01-26-12, 12:28
I'm starting to wish I had gone the Kino route instead of a 12.5 with 11in TRX. If I could do it all again I'd get the Kino. Im actually debating on sending my upper to ADCO and having them pin a A2 front sight where it would be on a Kino and cutting my 11in rail back to 9 or selling the upper all together and getting a Kino and a Centurion mid length cut out

Clint
01-26-12, 13:01
I'm starting to wish I had gone the Kino route instead of a 12.5 with 11in TRX.

Can you elaborate as to why?

markm
01-26-12, 13:04
What reflex cans?

jwfuhrman
01-26-12, 14:14
Because I'm running a Troy Front sight that I never flip down that is in the EXACT place a A2 fight sight would be.

chapperjoe
01-26-12, 14:31
What reflex cans?

??

http://li324-124.members.linode.com/showthread.php?p=1023266

markm
01-26-12, 14:38
??

http://li324-124.members.linode.com/showthread.php?p=1023266

I can't click on a malware link. Do you have a name/model? I'm hearing AAC dropped the SPR/M4 can.

Schulze
01-26-12, 15:39
Surefire FA556, some of the OPS models.

markm
01-27-12, 07:17
Surefire FA556, some of the OPS models.

OPS cans are too far off the beaten path... plus their whacko mounting systems... and **** Surefire.

I do like the reflex idea.. especially since I don't put silencers on SBRs... but that's not what the vast majority of shooters are into. :(

scoutfsu99
01-27-12, 07:29
What's wrong with SureFire?

jsummers
01-27-12, 08:45
Back on topic...

Yes, Kinos are worth the extra $70, esp is you're going to keep the FSP. The extra room does make a difference.

markm
01-27-12, 08:51
What's wrong with SureFire?

They're just one of those companies I don't like. I hate to sound like one of those Colt hating goobers... but When SF's cans first came out, they were Mil only.

When they needed the sales volume, they suddenly became available to civilians. I don't fault a company for being MIL only.... but if you didn't need my money before, forget it. :p

Plus they're absurdly overpriced in my little opinion.

Yes, Kinos are worth the extra $70, esp is you're going to keep the FSP. The extra room does make a difference.

Agreed. It's a smart design.

Schulze
01-27-12, 08:53
But they are hand crafted, mark. You cannot put a price on tender loving care.

markm
01-27-12, 08:54
But they are hand crafted, mark. You cannot put a price on tender loving care.

You make a good point. :p

jwfuhrman
01-27-12, 08:55

TRUTH!

All in All it depends on what you want to do. Do u see your self running your front sight flipped up all the time or co-witnessing? If so go with the KINO. If not, then get the standard and put as long of rail on it as u can/want.

scoutfsu99
01-27-12, 09:08
They're just one of those companies I don't like. I hate to sound like one of those Colt hating goobers... but When SF's cans first came out, they were Mil only.

When they needed the sales volume, they suddenly became available to civilians. I don't fault a company for being MIL only.... but if you didn't need my money before, forget it. :p

That sounds exactly like what the "Colt hates civilians, I'll never forgive them for the 90's" crowd spews. I thought maybe your opinion could be based on poor design, forum spamming, terrible customer support, etc.

They're also not the only can company with an expensive product. Maybe some of that expense goes into the R&D for mounting. Then you wouldn't have to pay a gunsmith extra money to ensure your suppressor doesn't wobble.

markm
01-27-12, 09:11
That sounds exactly like what the "Colt hates civilians, I'll never forgive them for the 90's" crowd spews. I thought maybe your opinion could be based on poor design, forum spamming, terrible customer support, etc.

Nahh... the difference is that Surefire was indeed no civilian sales at one point... There was that pic of their baffle welds cracking, but that was posted by AAC, so who knows.

Surefire doesn't have to spam.. they have the fanboy base second only to HK. :sarcastic:

scoutfsu99
01-27-12, 09:19
markm;1210602
Surefire doesn't have to spam.. they have the fanboy base second only to HK. :sarcastic:

And they have the haters that throw out bullshit to match, no?;).

While I'm far from a fanboy, I am a fan of things that are well designed and work properly. I couldn't care less if it says SureFire, KAC, Colt, etc....as long as it works. If it happens to be in that percentage of mechanical things that break, I want the customer support that will get it fixed/replaced.

markm
01-27-12, 09:22
And they have the haters that throw out bullshit to match, no?;).

Are you implying that any part of what I posted is BS? Because it is NOT.

usmcvet
01-27-12, 09:28
Yes it is worth it. I just bought one. :D There is more cost in a few parts, and assembly of the low pro-gas block and the set screw in the handguard cap.

scoutfsu99
01-27-12, 09:31
The fact that they were .mil only at one point? No, that's hardly bullshit.

When you say "**** SureFire" or "**** whomever", you should have more to back it up than they used to only sell to the military or "they're expensive!"

Maybe something like their cans wobble, their mounting system sucks, their baffles are made of wet cardboard and dreams, etc.

Hating on a company because they were only selling to the military at one point is exactly like hating Colt because of the 90's.

markm
01-27-12, 09:39
Maybe something like their cans wobble, their mounting system sucks, their baffles are made of wet cardboard and dreams, etc.

Their mount is good, and their cans seem good too. There's just alternatives that look just as good. If they were the only option, I'd have to pinch my nose and support them.

I don't care if guys like Surefire.... I just choose not to.

Hating on a company because they were only selling to the military at one point is exactly like hating Colt because of the 90's.

I don't see it as the same. I see it as their can line didn't take off so well, and they reversed their policy to get it rolling. (unless someone can point me to another motivation for their change of heart... it's been a while since the can was first introduced)

Colt always had a solid Mil sales base.. they didn't come crawling back to the people they originally said no to..... they just did oddball stuff like large pins and sear blocks.

usmcvet
01-27-12, 09:40
Kino guys.

rob_s
01-27-12, 09:44
Not to inject fact into hysteria but...

Surefire and Ops cans were both unavailable on the commercial market for the same reason. Educate yourself and avoid getting your facts from Internet hyperbole.

devilsdeeds
01-27-12, 14:17
What is your can maker of choice Mark?

On the Kino note, if a 12.5" fits your needs and you want an fsb, then it makes great sense imo.

RGoose
01-27-12, 17:55
To Kino or not to Kino...

Personal preference. I think there are a few advantages (slightly longer sight radius, more rail space, and solid FSB) and only a couple of disadvantages (slightly extra cost, sliiiiiightly heavier [but if this is a real complaint of yours, hit the gym]). The big thing is, are you a folding front sight person, or a traditional front sight kind of person? If you're in the latter group, go for the Kino.

krichbaum
01-27-12, 20:17
To Kino or not to Kino...

Personal preference. I think there are a few advantages (slightly longer sight radius, more rail space, and solid FSB) and only a couple of disadvantages (slightly extra cost, sliiiiiightly heavier [but if this is a real complaint of yours, hit the gym]). The big thing is, are you a folding front sight person, or a traditional front sight kind of person? If you're in the latter group, go for the Kino.

This ^^^. I have a Kino upper and I really like it...I'm a FSB kind of guy and the midlength handguards suit me better than carbine length. The Kino is my HD setup currently.

ETA: Pics are always nice...
http://www.krichbaum.net/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/000_0009.jpg

Sprocketeer
01-28-12, 16:26
I'm starting to wish I had gone the Kino route instead of a 12.5 with 11in TRX. If I could do it all again I'd get the Kino. Im actually debating on sending my upper to ADCO and having them pin a A2 front sight where it would be on a Kino and cutting my 11in rail back to 9 or selling the upper all together and getting a Kino and a Centurion mid length cut out

Like This???

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6736/c4kino.jpg
Shot at 2011-12-20

Toyoland66
01-28-12, 17:20
Is it just an illusion or do I see gas tube all the way to the fsb.

Sprocketeer
01-28-12, 18:41
Is it just an illusion or do I see gas tube all the way to the fsb.

For Entertainment Purposes Only.
The original art was a 14.5 mid-length.

chapperjoe
02-02-12, 09:42
I'm probably going to pass on the 12.5" now.

1)
There are good suppressor choices out there for std 10-11.5" builds that I was uninformed about when I first posted this thread.
I was under the impression that 'the best' suppressors required a little more naked barrel.

2)
(I may get a 12.5" for another role, but) For the home defense SBR I am planning, I tried a similar build and found it was a bit long for my doorways and hallways.