PDA

View Full Version : Northern VA Ranges

Meth0d
01-26-12, 15:19
Where are people shooting in the northern VA area?

I've been going to Silver Eagle Group in Herndon, VA for the past couple months. The facility has been completely rebuilt since October of 2011 and it looks great. I'm thinking about taking a couple classes here as well.

Moltke
01-26-12, 16:00
I used to shoot there each weekend but then moved farther away, still in northern VA but far enough that I don't go to SEG anymore. Now I shoot pistols at Sharpshooters in Lorton, VA.

bdcheung
01-26-12, 17:03
I shoot at NRA. Cheaper than SEG but not as many lanes. I do like that NRA requires a written range safety test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
01-26-12, 18:53
Yeah I shoot NRA too. Herndon is about an hour with traffic, but may be worth checking out I guess.

Meth0d
01-26-12, 19:47
Not sure why I wrote Herndon. It's actually Ashburn but not much further at all.

44620 Guilford Dr, Suite 100, Ashburn, VA

JSantoro
01-31-12, 13:04
In addition to those mentioned, there's Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly. NRA and SEG have the best facilities, though I'm basing that off of having been to SEG before their most recent mods. If they didn't alter their target carriages to something with a simpler menu tree, then just about anything they'll have done is cosmetic, only; worth a look.

Try to not go to ANY of them on the weekends the Nation's Gun Show is in town at the Dulles Expo Center. Seems like every untrained mouth-breather and white-collar poindexter in the area goes to the show, buys a gun, then hits one of the ranges to see how many people they can flag.

It's like the cantina scene from Star Wars on those weekends, and the next one is right around the corner, 10-12 Feb.

Moltke
01-31-12, 13:09
Try to not go to ANY of them on the weekends the Nation's Gun Show is in town at the Dulles Expo Center.

He's right, it's a guaranteed disaster going to a local range on a gunshow weekend.

Reagans Rascals
01-31-12, 13:42
Moyock, NC is within a few hours drive. I've looked into taking some courses there, only about 2:45 from Richmond. Probably around 5 from Herndon.

I'm in the same boat with trying to figure out where to go, pretty much hoping to get some land soon enough so I can setup my own site and be free to do w/e.

Moltke
01-31-12, 13:44
High View, WV is even closer.

Reagans Rascals
01-31-12, 13:51
High View, WV is even closer.

didn't even think about that.

In my no sot distant youth, I used to head up into the Appalachians around South Mountain in PA and shoot along the Fire-trails and Power-lines running across the mountain. Completely isolated and pretty much unlimited distance, miles in either direction. I'm not too sure on the legality nowadays... but if you're suppressed you'd be tough to pin down.....

JSantoro
01-31-12, 14:08
He's talking about Echo Valley Training Center,west of Winchester, which hosts a lot of classes: http://echovalleytrainingcenter.com/

...I think...! :cool:

Meth0d
02-09-12, 16:47
My main issue is that SEG only has a 75 yard range. Where are people firing 100+?

Moltke
02-09-12, 17:01
He's talking about Echo Valley Training Center,west of Winchester, which hosts a lot of classes: http://echovalleytrainingcenter.com/

...I think...! :cool:

Correct you are sir!

Moltke
02-09-12, 17:04
If you're wanting to shoot far and stay in northern VA, good luck finding a place and when you do, let me know!

JBecker 72
02-09-12, 17:18
Get on the waiting list for Fairfax Rod and Gun club. My father is a member there, and that place is very nice.

Meth0d
02-09-12, 17:23
Anyone ever been to this place?

http://www.range82.com/

mallowpufft
02-09-12, 17:27
It's not exactly NoVA but if you head down 81 to Harrisonburg then cruise 33 to WV there is a forest service range with a covered 100yd rifle range and a 25yd pistol area. Lots of Bubbas out on the weekends and evenings but if I'm coming through the area on a weekday it's usually empty or darn near it.

Moltke
02-09-12, 17:51
Been to the range on 33 many times during college, its not so hot. When I've been the last few times there's always alot of people there. Mostly bubbas and dumbass college kids. No sense of muzzle awareness, nobody to supervise the idiots if there are any and it can be uncomfortable walking downrange to change targets with a bunch of strangers around. Especially if you've already seen them ****ing around and being stupid!

Also ran into many of the Bubba crowd who ask me about my guns and then tell me that they're good examples of the guns people shouldn't own. It gives hunters a bad image to be associated with us other kind of gun owners. Those evil black rifles, short barreled shotguns and the like. Usually I shrug it off and keep shooting but I haven't been there in months as a result of the people I keep meeting. The sad part is I used to be one of those dumbass college kids a few years ago.

mallowpufft
02-09-12, 18:14
It's definitely an "interesting" place. This time of year there aren't usually many people around. I've been twice this month and haven't seen anyone else.
I usually stay at the pistol range as the berms ate big and I can have 2 targets set up and draw and shoot from my CCW and get in odd positions unlike the indoor range in the area.
I also bring my own homemade target stands (pvc & 1x2) with room to staple several targets each and set one up at the 50 and one at the 100. I also bring binocs so I don't have to go down range of others are around and not ready to walk when I am.
I've been thinking about some steel targets so I can stay put.

Wake27
08-05-12, 14:02
Can you even get range time at Echo Valley? Their website only talks about the training groups. Its 2 hours from me, but I'd be happy to make a day out of it if the price was decent.

Anyone ever been to this place?

http://www.range82.com/

Did you ever try it? Looks like it may have potential. Their range hours are really weird though...

TheGut
08-05-12, 14:08
I just noticed this thread. Sharpshooters now also allows up to 30 Cal rifles. NRA range is nice but is always completely packed. Silver Eagle group has a really nice facility but unfortunately is way out there for me. Right now I'm mostly shooting at sharpshooters but I really wish the lanes were longer.

Wake27
08-05-12, 14:37
I just noticed this thread. Sharpshooters now also allows up to 30 Cal rifles. NRA range is nice but is always completely packed. Silver Eagle group has a really nice facility but unfortunately is way out there for me. Right now I'm mostly shooting at sharpshooters but I really wish the lanes were longer.

I didn't know that they allowed rifles now. Its membership only isn't it?

TheGut
08-05-12, 14:57
I didn't know that they allowed rifles now. Its membership only isn't it?

They just started with rifles mid July. Yep Its membership (monthly/yearly like most nova places) its 2 dollars lifetime membership for rifles.

Wake27
08-05-12, 15:05
I might head down there tonight and see about a membership then. Its a lot closer than NRA and I like the idea of it being members only.

ETA - Went by there, really like some of the stuff in the store. Wasn't expecting a lot of the nice products. I'd join but since I'm only up here when I'm not at school it doesn't really make sense for the annual, and the monthly doesn't have guest passes :(

Dachs
05-26-15, 19:17
This looks like an old thread, but I recently got back into shooting again after a bit of a hiatus. I went to Sharpshooters in Springfield. It's decent. It was a little smokey--they could use a better ventilation system. But its not like I have many options up here inside the beltway.

Blue Ridge Arsenal (out in Chantilly) is much nicer, but its a bit of a hike from inside the beltway AND I've always had to wait a fair bit for a lane. I waited about an hour on multiple occasions.

Are there an good outdoor ranges? I'm especially interested in ones where I might be able to shoot and move (thats probably a long shot in most places in Virginia).

sidewaysil80
05-26-15, 20:29
Elite Shooting Sports has pretty much taken the cake for the nicest indoor range in the area. They have 4 bays of shooting: two 25yd ranges, one 50yd range, and one 100yd range. Again all indoors and very high tech target systems. The staff is very professional and its all around a great range.

Outdoors your two options are the Izaak Walton League (whichever is closest to you) and the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club. Just over the border in Gerardstown WV is Peacemaker which in my opinion is the nicest outdoor range within a 3 hour drive.

GunnyFitz
12-30-21, 09:16
I concur with "sideways" on Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas. Hands down the country club of indoor ranges with every amenity you can think of! You can go on a membership or simply by the hour. Love it for a quick trip to keep yourself proficient!
Semper Fi...🇺🇲