PDA

View Full Version : 10.5 inch barrel

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 15:23
hey guys - new here - i just wanted to see if i could get some feedback on getting a 10.5 inch barrel for a build i'm working on. are there any drawbacks to a short barrel besides accuracy? thanks in advance!

DeltaSierra
01-26-12, 15:29
Poke around the NFA section of the site - you will find a lot of good information there.

Actually, accuracy is NOT significantly degraded with a shorter barrel. Some of the members here are using their SBRs out to as far as 600 yards...

MrSmitty
01-26-12, 15:30
Try the orange search button above ^

I recently acquired a 10.5" Noveske and find the accuracy to be more than acceptable for any situation where a compact weapon is desirable.

11.5 or 12.5 may provide slightly improved accuracy and significantly improved ballistics but I cannot comment on those lengths because I don't own one.

Tax stamp is also required for anything under 16"...

jdub75
01-26-12, 15:42
Another thing to consider:
using a compensator on a 10.5 is punishing. I had a battlecomp, but after a mag or so I would get a headache. Not my ears ringing, but from the concussion.
And anyone on either side of you will no longer like you :)
If I did things over again, I'd do a 11 or 12 barrel.

Moltke
01-26-12, 15:55
Tax stamp sucks
Waiting period sucks
Travel restriction sucks
Loss of velocity on bullets
Short rail sucks (if you want an arm extended grip)

Make sure you buy a nice 10.5" barrel from a good manufacturer and everything else about it will be great.

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 15:59
i don't know what a "tax stamp" is and it sounds like there is a bunch of headache involved so i guess i'll just stick to the 16 inch. thanks guys.

Moltke
01-26-12, 16:06
HAHAHA

Okay.

Generalpie
01-26-12, 16:15
i don't know what a "tax stamp" is and it sounds like there is a bunch of headache involved so i guess i'll just stick to the 16 inch. thanks guys.

That is a great idea. Anything else is a felony and definately not something to mess around with.

Basically if a SBR (short barrel rifle) is legal in your state than you can obtain a $200 tax stamp from ATF so you can own what you should be able to anyway. It isn't as simple as mailing in and getting it but that is the gist.

MrSmitty
01-26-12, 16:19

Probably a good call. Start out with a 16 and do a ton of research on SBRs, maybe pick one up down the road. There is a LOT that you should know before you get one...

polymorpheous
01-26-12, 16:41
i don't know what a "tax stamp" is....

But some how you had enough insight to make this post in the NFA sub-forum?
:confused:

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 16:43

you're gonna have to help me here... what's NFA stand for?

MrSmitty
01-26-12, 16:54
Is this serious?

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 16:56
look forget it. i'm new here... sorry to "force" you to read this thread. have a nice day.

rushca01
01-26-12, 17:00
Everyone was new at some point...

It's just ironic you posted in correct forum or the thread got moved by a mod.

NFA=National Firearms Act

DeltaSierra
01-26-12, 17:01

No, it was posted in AR GD and moved by one of the Mods....

you're gonna have to help me here... what's NFA stand for?

NFA - National Firearms Act of 1934...

Generally used acronym to describe a class of weapons regulated under said act...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 17:04
it got moved. sorry. i'm not even a n00b yet... i'm a nub... :cray:

MrSmitty
01-26-12, 17:11

Ahhh, okay. I wasn't trying to be rude, just wasn't adding up :laugh:

This site is full of a metric shit ton of generally unbiased information on the the AR platform and firearms covered under the NFA. I've learned a lot since I started frequenting it. My recommendation is to read, read, read, and when you're done reading, read some more. Make sure you understand everything that is legally involved in obtaining and owning an SBR before you decide to pull the trigger on one, no pun intended. And make sure you don't buy anything sub-par, trying to save a buck will cost you more in the end!

The topic of SBR accuracy has been covered before on numerous occasions and I'm a little surprised this thread hasn't been stopped by a mod already.

Good luck and welcome!

polymorpheous
01-26-12, 17:12

Gotcha.
Thanks.

Iraqgunz
01-26-12, 17:18
OP,

I suggest that you do some homework first. Especially since you don't even know what NFA is.

You may want to determine if it's even legal in your locale.

Every question you have asked has been asked time and again and answered. You simply need to sit down and read.