PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Upper Receivers

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 15:46
Hey guys - I have 3 upper receivers LMT, BCM and Spikes. I noticed that on the upper receiver pivot pin notch there is a difference. The LMT is just a straight square block (when looking from front or back), the BCM and Spikes have the side of the notch beveled on each side. I think this is the culprit for the slight loose fit between the upper and lower.

Does anyone know what other manufacturer has a square block like LMT's? LMT doesn't sell the upper receiver stripped so I need to find a different manufacturer. Thanks!

amd5007
01-26-12, 15:53
Hello, I don't see how the profile of the pivot pin "block" would affect the fit to the lower. The bevel is meant for easier assembly of the upper onto the lower, if I correctly understand what you are referring to.

More likely than not there are other factors at play to give you a loose fit. Unless the wobble is horrific, I wouldn't worry about it.

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 15:58
Hello, I don't see how the profile of the pivot pin "block" would affect the fit to the lower. The bevel is meant for easier assembly of the upper onto the lower, if I correctly understand what you are referring to.

More likely than not there are other factors at play to give you a loose fit. Unless the wobble is horrific, I wouldn't worry about it.

thanks for the reply. I already know that the slight wobble is a non-issue but i'm building it to a personal preference spec so that is the reasoning behind my inquiry. cheers.

wahoo95
01-26-12, 16:02
You can slide an o ring over that pivot pin block to snug up the fit if it bothers you.

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 16:04
yea i know all the little work-arounds. oring, accuwedge. i just like the way my LMT upper fits to lowers is all...

DeltaSierra
01-26-12, 16:09
Oh, no...

Not the Accuwedge stuff again....

A bit of play in the upper/lower fit is expected, and should not be messed with....

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 16:12
A bit of play in the upper/lower fit is expected, and should not be messed with....

why is that? i'm actually really curious.

wahoo95
01-26-12, 16:12
Oh, no...

Not the Accuwedge stuff again....

Just because it doesn't affect funtion doesn't mean one can't fix it if it bothers them. Tire Shine doesn't affect driving performance but it does make the tires look better.....see my point?

The OP is just questioning whether the design difference accounts for the different fit...nothing wrong with that.

OP, I would wager that if you continue to try your LMT upper on a few more lowers it won't be snug on all of them. Its really a case by case thing and as you already know not a big deal.

DeltaSierra
01-26-12, 16:16
Just because it doesn't affect funtion doesn't mean one can't fix it if it bothers them. Tire Shine doesn't affect driving performance but it does make the tires look better.....see my point?

Well, the Accuwedge can be linked to weapons failure, so if that isn't affecting the function, I don't know what is.

why is that? i'm actually really curious.

Like I mentioned above, using an Accuwedge can cause your weapon to malfunction...

The Accuwedge breaks, and parts and pieces of it wind up in the fire control group....

OP, I would wager that if you continue to try your LMT upper on a few more lowers it won't be snug on all of them. Its really a case by case thing and as you already know not a big deal.

I'd second this opinion. Between my rifles (even from the same manufacturers) upper and lower fit varies. I couldn't care less, but that is just how it works....

wahoo95
01-26-12, 16:26
Accuwedge sucks however it's not the only option....an o ring around the front pivot post works great for those who are bothered by the movement.

Cesiumsponge
01-26-12, 16:32
O-rings can break too. Just leave it alone.

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 16:34

this is what i'm talking about. you can see the LMT "ahem" doesn't cut corners... so to speak... :haha:

wahoo95
01-26-12, 16:35
O-rings can break too. Just leave it alone.

O rings do break but its not inside the receiver so its a non issue.

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 16:37
so the original question was. does anyone know of any manufacturer of stripped upper receivers that looks like the LMT one on the right?

TAZ
01-26-12, 17:01
Based on the pictures from their web site White Oak Armament doesn't seem to have the bevel, but it is rounded. CMMG doesn't appear to have the bevel nor the rounded profile.

Not sure if it makes a difference when it comes to fit. Most likely the width of the block, location and tolerancing of the hole are more important.

buckjay
01-26-12, 17:21
LMT provides complete upper receivers for Barrett (who stamp their mark on it).

Should be around $95 shipped, which I find very hard to beat.

Link:

http://www.barrettrifles.com/Store/product/Barrett-Marked-M468-Upper,1133,62.htm

Good luck!

Dave

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 17:48
LMT provides complete upper receivers for Barrett (who stamp their mark on it).

Should be around $95 shipped, which I find very hard to beat.

Link:

http://www.barrettrifles.com/Store/product/Barrett-Marked-M468-Upper,1133,62.htm

Good luck!

Dave

Dave... I love you man!!! THANX! power of the post! :thank_you2:

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 18:23
is the Barrett M468 upper receiver for the 6.8mm only???

C4IGrant
01-26-12, 18:31
thanks for the reply. I already know that the slight wobble is a non-issue but i'm building it to a personal preference spec so that is the reasoning behind my inquiry. cheers.

I just have to ask, what do you think an LMT (or type) upper receiver is going to do for you???

Since we all know that play between does not hurt anything and does not degrade accuracy, I have to ask why????????

C4

gotoplanb
01-26-12, 18:50
I just have to ask, what do you think an LMT (or type) upper receiver is going to do for you???

Since we all know that play between does not hurt anything and does not degrade accuracy, I have to ask why????????

C4

like i said previously... personal preference spec :dirol: