PDA

View Full Version : New BCM BFG 14.5 Pinned Middy - Q's

ejewels
01-26-12, 19:53
Hey Guys,

So my BCM middy just came in today. I'm psyched! I got the BCM BCG and their charging handle and installed it all onto my preban sendra lower. In doing function tests, everything seem to work. However, I have a few (hopefully non) issues:

1) If I rack the action back and then SLOWLY ride the charging handle into battery, the bcg doesn't seat all the way and needs a little tap on it to fully seat. Is this normal? Under regular racking and not purposely riding the handle all the way into battery, it works fine. I would never do this while actually using and shooting the rifle, but wondering if this is a normal thing?

2) Is there anything I should know before firing or any helpful info I should know? This is my first BCM. It seems to have come oiled up as well.

Thanks in advance! -E

RD62
01-26-12, 19:56
Normal.

Shoot the snot out of it.

ffusaf23
01-26-12, 20:00
If you slowly ride the charging handle foward it's normal.....which is why you should never ride the charging handle when you intend to actually fire the weapon.

loganp0916
01-26-12, 20:04
1. Pull the CH back all the way and let go.

2. I would clean, lube, and shoot, shoot, shoot the shit out of it.

ejewels
01-26-12, 20:43
Thanks guys. Ya, its only when I ride the thing all the way "home". Other than that it seems OK. One other thing. I have a older sendra pre ban lower (i'm in a ban state) and it isn't the best tight fitting lower. The first pin is pretty loose when attached on the upper, and I can jiggle it a little bit. However once I attach it to the second pin with an accuwedge installed, its nice and tight. Is this also OK? I've already heard looseness doesn't affect accuracy, so I'm thinking I'm good? Thanks again...

thopkins22
01-26-12, 20:48
Thanks guys. Ya, its only when I ride the thing all the way "home". Other than that it seems OK. One other thing. I have a older sendra pre ban lower (i'm in a ban state) and it isn't the best tight fitting lower. The first pin is pretty loose when attached on the upper, and I can jiggle it a little bit. However once I attach it to the second pin with an accufit installed, its nice and tight. Is this also OK? I've already heard looseness doesn't affect accuracy, so I'm thinking I'm good? Thanks again...

Not other than that...the condition you describe is okay. It's all okay.

I'd toss the accuwedge thingy...but that's just me. Slop doesn't effect accuracy. It's fine. A little wiggle is standard fare.

Seriously...go shoot it. It's fine.

PS: I can see this coming up down the road...expect to see wear on the inside front of the upper receiver. Also normal and okay.

ejewels
01-26-12, 20:57
Ha, thanks man. Ya i think anytime I get a new piece of gear or something I critique it too much. When the first pin is in, it seems pretty loose, but then its fine. So ok... I'm good and can't wait to shoot it!

Iraqgunz
01-26-12, 22:54
Just curious. What is your level of experience with the AR? Have you read anything like an operators manual?

Take the Accuwedge and throw it into the nearest trash can.

ejewels
01-27-12, 08:41
I would say I'm "intermediate" with my knowledge with ARs and I've owned 3 of them in the past. Never rode the CH before. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Whats with the wedge hate? I would think making a tighter fit would be a good thing? Like lots of things in life ;)

Col_Crocs
01-27-12, 08:42
Wipe it down, lube it with your favorite lube and Shoot it... It's all normal.

I have a older sendra pre ban lower (i'm in a ban state) and it isn't the best tight fitting lower. The first pin is pretty loose when attached on the upper, and I can jiggle it a little bit. However once I attach it to the second pin with an accuwedge installed, its nice and tight. Is this also OK? I've already heard looseness doesn't affect accuracy, so I'm thinking I'm good? Thanks again...
I just want to touch on this... The accuwedge is useless. Sure it tightens up the feel but so does inserting a loaded mag. It's more a problem than it is a solution. It's been known to break apart and wedge itself into the FCG which is dangerous. If this really bothers you, get an Armalite match pivot pin. Again, not necessary but if the wiggle really bothers you, it's by far the best way to address this non-issue, that I have have heard of.

rob_s
01-27-12, 08:48
Please go shoot the gun as soon as possible. More of these kinds of oddball posts come from people fiddle-****ing prior to a range visit. Go shoot. Focus on what matters, when it matters (sights & trigger when shooing, evaluating groups when viewing he target, etc.) and only. Only concern yourself with minutiae if it causes issues with one of those three thing or if it affects operation when shooting.

ejewels
01-27-12, 08:48
I've always understood the fit to be OK if its a little sloppy. But putting a new BCM mid on an old preban sendra was looser than I expected. If its still OK, then I think I can live with it, I was just curious as to how loose it should or shouldn't be I think.

ejewels
01-27-12, 08:50
Please go shoot the gun as soon as possible. More of these kinds of oddball posts come from people fiddle-****ing prior to a range visit. Go shoot. Focus on what matters, when it matters (sights & trigger when shooing, evaluating groups when viewing he target, etc.) and only. Only concern yourself with minutiae if it causes issues with one of those three thing or if it affects operation when shooting.

Believe me, I'd love to be able to go shoot the thing. I have a snow storm in full effect right now.

jsummers
01-27-12, 08:52
I would say I'm "intermediate" with my knowledge with ARs and I've owned 3 of them in the past. Never rode the CH before. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming. Whats with the wedge hate? I would think making a tighter fit would be a good thing? Like lots of things in life ;)
Nevermind. Some people just won't/don't get it.

Col_Crocs
01-27-12, 08:57
I've always understood the fit to be OK if its a little sloppy. But putting a new BCM mid on an old preban sendra was looser than I expected. If its still OK, then I think I can live with it, I was just curious as to how loose it should or shouldn't be I think.
I understand where youre coming from. Ive handled a friend's weapon which was a new upper on an old m16 lower and the thing was extremely loose. Looser than anything Ive handled in the past and the thing functioned just fine. That said, it's hard to assess how severe yours is without actually handling the weapon. Im inclined to think it's alright, just not what youre used to. Shoot it and let us know if you run into any issues.

Col_Crocs
01-27-12, 08:58
Nevermind. Some people just won't/don't get it.

Wont/dont understand what exactly?

markm
01-27-12, 09:00
Believe me, I'd love to be able to go shoot the thing. I have a snow storm in full effect right now.

So you torture us with these threads? :confused:

jonconsiglio
01-27-12, 09:10
All the accuwedge hate has already been explained to you. It has the potential to break and that will make the rifle unreliable. Unreliable is a bad thing, no matter how you look at it.

What does anyone think they'll gain by a slightly tighter receiver fit anyway? If you want tight, buy a precision rifle.

Owning AR's does not make one knowledgable in AR's. Knowledge comes from classes, training and experience. I have a friend with literally well over $100,000 in firearms. He barely understands what changing the buffer will do and has never taken a class of any kind.

I think when IG asked about your experience, he wanted to know your background, like what classes or training you've had, for example. Military or law enforcement (which doesn't necessarily mean much in terms of knowledge) or are you involved in competition? Owning rifles alone means nothing in terms of experience. The experience you have will help others determine how to reply when you ask questions.

It's not an insult to ask someone that, especially when that someone is taking time out of what they do to answer questions that could easily be found with a Google search.