PDA

View Full Version : Glock texturing by Cold Bore Customs

acaixguard
01-26-12, 19:56
Just got my Glock 19 back from Lane Owens of Cold Bore Customs. I asked for just a short list of mods to be done, as follows:

360º hybrid texturing - Lane stippled the front and backstraps with his "tactical texture" treatment, while giving the sides of the grip his "carry texture". Left the finger grooves and thumb indents in places
Mag button recess
High grip cut under the trigger guard

First, Lane offers outstanding service. His response to inquiries and patience is second to none. He is willing to listen to any ideas you have. Ultimately, I ended up describing in great detail what I wanted, and drew out a sketch for him of exactly the area of the grip I wanted stippled. I could not be happier with the results. In a word, it turned out perfect. The coverage area and borders are exactly how I requested. The feel is just right too. More aggressive texturing on the front and back where the extra traction is needed, and just the right amount of grip on the sides without being too sharp that it would abrade the skin on my sides. It's hard to describe how aggressive it is overall. I'd say somewhere between 20-30lpi checkering on a 1911? But of course, metal checkering is still going to have more bite to it.

I highly recommend Lane of Cold Bore Customs. The second best part, after the outstanding work itself, is super fast turnaround time. I had this back within 2 weeks of shipping it out to him!

Here are some pictures. Please note that one thing I asked Lane was to make the stippling as fine as possible, while being aggressive. It came out just how I like, but the pictures make the stippling look bigger than it is.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/ks1911shooter/Guns/P1020220.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/ks1911shooter/Guns/P1020221.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/ks1911shooter/Guns/P1020222.jpg

Vlobb
01-26-12, 21:05
Very NICE!!!

I had Lane do a bunch of grip work on a 17 and I could not be happier with how it turned out. He really is a great guy and gives you exactly what you want. He also did a HK USP Compact for me a while ago that also came out fantastic.

Vlobb
01-26-12, 21:07
I just noticed you're a fellow NJ'sian... Where do you shoot at?

acaixguard
01-26-12, 21:31
Thanks!

I shoot at RTSP in Randolph, or I go out to the Easton Game & Fish club in PA. What about you?

Abraxas
01-26-12, 21:49
I like it

rackham1
01-27-12, 01:35
Great referral. I think I know where I'm sending my glock now.

How is the mag release recess? Do you notice much difference?

I wouldn't have thought to do that. Now trying to figure out if (for me) it's an answer to a problem I don't have, or I'd discover that it's great.

acaixguard
01-27-12, 10:04
To be honest, I don't notice too big a difference with the mag release recess. But that's most likely because I have the Vickers mag release installed, and hitting the mag release easily was never a problem for me since installing the Vickers unit.
I'm sure if you are using the stock mag release button, then the recess will be more noticeable. I just had it done cause it wasn't too much extra to do ($15), and I just liked the look of it, so, I figured, why not?

markm
01-27-12, 10:16
I like the texture... I just prefer a little less surface area stippled. Personal preference is all....

acaixguard
01-27-12, 10:19
Lane can do whatever you wish. In fact, the reason I drew up what area I wanted stippled is because most of the pics I've seen of his work show less surface area coverage than what I wanted.
In this case, ask and you shall receive :)

rackham1
01-27-12, 12:00
To be honest, I don't notice too big a difference with the mag release recess. But that's most likely because I have the Vickers mag release installed, and hitting the mag release easily was never a problem for me since installing the Vickers unit.
I'm sure if you are using the stock mag release button, then the recess will be more noticeable. I just had it done cause it wasn't too much extra to do ($15), and I just liked the look of it, so, I figured, why not?

Gotcha. I was actually going to bring up the Vickers part but was worried my post would get all jumbled. But you answered my unasked question perfectly!

At $15 I would have done the same thing. And I probably will.

militarymoron
01-27-12, 12:09
FWIW, the advantage of the mag release recess when used with the stock mag release is definitely more noticeable when using gloves.
the vickers mag release solves that issue as well.

Tango Charlie145
01-27-12, 13:40
I had to actually take my G19 out and see the differences where yours is stippled. It runs a little higher near the slide lock on each side of the grip and above the pin in the back of the grip.
Another great job by Lane.
And thanks to Mr. Bowie for coming up with the idea to stipple and reduce the grip on the Glock!
Strength and Honor!
TC

Vlobb
01-27-12, 14:31
Thanks!

I shoot at RTSP in Randolph, or I go out to the Easton Game & Fish club in PA. What about you?

Right now I have a membership at Ready Aim Fire in PA. I'm looking into becoming a member at CJRPC when my membership at RAF expires. From the looks of it, you're much farther north than I am.

Have you had a chance to shoot that yet?

acaixguard
01-27-12, 14:58
Yep, I'm more up north in NJ.

Much props to David Bowie. I was originally looking to him for Glock work, but his backlog turned out to be very long. By the way, wasn't it Robar who pioneered grip reductions in the late 90's?

Just to clarify too, I did NOT get a reduction done. Just 360º texturing.

Tango Charlie145
01-27-12, 15:04
Yep, I'm more up north in NJ.

Much props to David Bowie. I was originally looking to him for Glock work, but his backlog turned out to be very long. By the way, wasn't it Robar who pioneered grip reductions in the late 90's?

Just to clarify too, I did NOT get a reduction done. Just 360º texturing.

I am not sure, it may have been. Mr. Bowie posted on one of the forums the other day hae had ben doing grip work for over 10 years.
I did have a reduction and it really feels better to my small hands, especially shooting 1 handed. The regular G19 grip feels good, but I like my CBC one better.
Thanks for clarifying on Robar!
Strength and Honor!
TC

rm06
01-27-12, 20:36
I've never had an opportunity to hold a stippled Glock, but I'm wondering how much the stippling helps on the sides of the grip? For me, my hand is really only touching the front and rear straps.

Something maybe I would only notice having held one?

acaixguard
01-28-12, 20:30
The stippling on the front and back help a lot more than the sides in my opinion. Where I find the side most helpful is for my support hand. The way I hold my gun, the meaty part of the palm of my support hand has contact with the grip, and the extra traction there is nice too.

Vlobb
01-28-12, 22:02
The stippling on the front and back help a lot more than the sides in my opinion. Where I find the side most helpful is for my support hand. The way I hold my gun, the meaty part of the palm of my support hand has contact with the grip, and the extra traction there is nice too.

That's exactly how it is for me with my CBC stippled 17. I barely notice the texture on the right side of the frame but the front and back strap and left side of the frame gives me all the traction I need.

Here's a pic for shits and gigs:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1567/cbc17076.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/80/cbc17076.jpg/)

wwright521
01-28-12, 22:36
Thanks for that referral, I have been looking around for someone to send my Glock 19 to do some grip modification. I think I found him.