PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 Slide burr

ridgerunner70
01-27-12, 09:12
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=476&pictureid=2464 Bought this used and was wondering were this burr is coming from. Nothing on the receiver show's any contact and slide stop looks fine also. What else should i look for. Also should i not shoot it now? Thank you

RD62
01-27-12, 16:23
I'm not seeing a picture in your link.

Cesiumsponge
01-27-12, 20:42
Somebody dun fumbled the slide and dropped it on a hard metal surface. Considering that is a bearing surface that sees nothing but linear motion on the frame, that type of damage wouldn't occur under normal or abnormal use of the firearm.

My suggestion? Take a small file and file off any metal that has been displaced past the surface that might catch, and fire away! It's just a small ding.

An Undocumented Worker
01-27-12, 21:49
Somebody dun fumbled the slide and dropped it on a hard metal surface. Considering that is a bearing surface that sees nothing but linear motion on the frame, that type of damage wouldn't occur under normal or abnormal use of the firearm.

My suggestion? Take a small file and file off any metal that has been displaced past the surface that might catch, and fire away! It's just a small ding.

To further add to this, it appears as though maybe the previous owner was cleaning the firearm and had the slide sitting on a table with the barrel in it but the recoil spring assembly removed. Then knocked the slide/barrel off of the table and the assembly landed on the barrel lug thus forcing the now out of place barrels hood against that part of the slide.
Of course it could have been aliens too.:eek: Just stone the displaced metal flush with the rest of it and keep on trucking.

espnazi
01-27-12, 21:52
embedded for OP
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=476&pictureid=2461
https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=476&pictureid=2462

Cesiumsponge
01-27-12, 23:23
Oops, "stone" is the right term, not file. I hope you didn't take a 12" bastard file and removed half the slide. A little boron carbine hone or similar should flatten it out.

ridgerunner70
01-28-12, 10:35
thanks guy's; I"ll hone it out.

Robb Jensen
01-28-12, 10:54
It comes from the locking block slamming into the slide when you fire the pistol and the frame flexes during cycling. It'll get to a certain point and then get no worse. It's much more noticeable in.40s, .357s and 10mm Glock pistols.

ridgerunner70
01-28-12, 11:54
It comes from the locking block slamming into the slide when you fire the pistol and the frame flexes during cycling. It'll get to a certain point and then get no worse. It's much more noticeable in.40s, .357s and 10mm Glock pistols.

Should I still hone the burr out or let it run it's course?Would you say that it has alot of round's through it?

Robb Jensen
01-28-12, 13:42
Usually after 1-2k rounds it'll be done growing. Smoothing down the burr won't hurt anything.

trinydex
01-30-12, 21:28
Would you reblue after?

The_Hunter
01-30-12, 21:32

This is indeed correct and is even covered in the Glock armor's class

Steven T
01-31-12, 11:26
My Glock 17 has the same burrs. I was also told that it's mentioned in Glock armorers class and is usually more obvious in the .40s and .357s. I haven't noticed them getting any bigger as I shoot it more. I'm going to keep an eye on it but I'm not going to worry about it.

Littlelebowski
01-31-12, 11:52
Would you reblue after?

No. Just knock off the edges and leave it be. It's a Glock thing and completely normal.

Magsz
01-31-12, 12:42
Are we sure that is from the locking block?

From my own experiences what i have seen is usually somewhat symmetrical wear and it is usually forward of that location, ie towards the front of the locking block.