PDA

View Full Version : CHL shooting test

cspackler
01-27-12, 12:15
I'm sure most of you have no problem passing the concealed carry test so what handgun do you/have you used to shoot the required 50 rds (in TX anyway)? Last time out I used the G26 since it's what I intended to carry and did for 90% of the time. I do take the test seriously, but let's be real - it is extremely easy to ace. This time around I'll bring my newly acquired '37 Luger with v-notch rear just to make it more interesting.

swsmailman
01-27-12, 12:23
I used the one I carry and compete with, FS S&W M&P 9mm. Stock gun except for the Apex DCAEK thats in it... Once I acquire some other pistols, I will shoot the qualifier with something else, just to spice things up a bit.

markm
01-27-12, 12:40
There's could be a chance to Dazzle the girls... so I pick the Target gun.... CHEW that X up, and get some phone numbers. :dance3:

Bolt_Overide
01-27-12, 14:54
There's could be a chance to Dazzle the girls... so I pick the Target gun.... CHEW that X up, and get some phone numbers. :dance3:

Chicks dig the ragged hole.

F-Trooper05
01-27-12, 15:00
Shoot the gun you intend to carry.

nobody knows
01-27-12, 15:01
Lol at markm

I took mine in Oklahoma, I don't know about tx but here your not even required to hit the Target. Just show a degree of safety and you pass(although how you handle and "shoot" a firearm safely without hitting your target is beyond me) anyway I used a 92fs.

Smash
01-27-12, 15:09
I would recommend to most they shoot their EDC pistol. With the volume of people that get their CHL I know a lot dont work a lot on their skills. So at least thats 50 rounds of required practice which they need.

Cesiumsponge
01-27-12, 20:37
What the hell kind of test is there in a state that requires a test for CHL? It can't be much of a test, if drivers are any indication on the effectiveness of state tests :D We don't have any written or shooting tests here...I must live in the damned wild west.

Nephrology
01-27-12, 21:41
Connecticut and Oregon both just required that I take a class with a live fire component, which was NRA basic pistol. Shot a provided .22 pistol for all of the "qualifications" which basically meant that I put my rounds on a roughly kiddie pool sized circle at 7yds.

Axcelea
01-28-12, 18:55
I think it depends on what the mood strikes. If wanting to go with a clear the X gun then do it, if being lazy and just grabbing what you have around then might as well, etc.

If you need to do it any particular way then there are issues. Need to bring a tack driver because you would fail (areas that have scoring besides safety check) then there is a problem with ones proficiency with their EDC, need to practice some with the EDC? 50 rounds are not enough to do jack diddly for the most part.

You are proficient and confident with your EDC, then do what you want.

Smash
01-28-12, 19:01
I bet there are some CHL holders that don't shoot 50 rounds a year with what they carry.

I'm not saying that includes most here. Im not saying its sufficient. It's shameful to fall on that list. However if all they shoot is the test at least that's something.

johnson
01-28-12, 22:38
First time I took it I used my first handgun and only handgun at the time, a Sig P228R. Second time (I went with a friend) I used a a CZ Kadet .22lr and just rapid fired through the magazines and drew a smiley face. Didn't see a point in wasting any 9mm.

The requirement for Missouri is ridiculously easy which is a B27 target at 7 yards. Anywhere on the body is g2g.

Omega Man
01-29-12, 01:18
Chicks dig the ragged hole.

They can dig it, as long as they don't have one. :fie:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-29-12, 01:32
I didnt have to take the CHL test in CO because of mil service, but when I took my CA Armed Guard test I used whatever pistol that would yield the greatest accuracy results for me, even if it was something I wouldnt be carrying. When I qual'd on .38, I used a rented 686 instead of my 642, and tore the center out of that target. If I had used my 642, it wouldnt have been so neat :(

gringop
01-29-12, 10:36
You don't get any extra points for scoring 100% on the Texas CHL tests, written or shooting. They're scored pass or fail only.

If your ego needs to shoot 100% then bring your target gun. For myself, my carry gun, home defense gun and competition gun are the same G-19. I use it for the CHL test.

Gringop.

bigghoss
01-29-12, 11:59
Connecticut and Oregon both just required that I take a class with a live fire component, which was NRA basic pistol. Shot a provided .22 pistol for all of the "qualifications" which basically meant that I put my rounds on a roughly kiddie pool sized circle at 7yds.

Are you sure Oregon required the live fire and it wasn't just that particular class? Last I heard you only had to sit through a class and not actually take a test. I work as an armed guard so I just brought a letter from work and that qualifies as training. Also proof of military service works I believe. Someone even showed me a link where you can watch a video and take an online test that counts as the required training. If they're requiring a live-fire in OR then they must have added that recently.

My non-resident WA permit was great. I didn't even make an appointment. Walked in did the paperwork and fingerprinting and the permit was in my mailbox THREE DAYS later. Gotta love that.

Hizzie
01-29-12, 13:10
Fellow Texan here. Having taken the stupid easy CHL Class I know where you are coming from. If you're a shooter have some fun with an oddball gun. I was frightened when I took mine due to the huge amount of people who failed the shooting at least once. Of course how people shot was far less disturbing than all the Rambo talk. Every damn question these people asked was basically "Blah blah blah, so I can shoot him right?

CHL SHOOTING TEST

3 yards, 20 rounds
•1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
•2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
•5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time

7 yards, 20 rounds
•5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
•2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
•3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
•1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
•5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

15 yards, 10 rounds
•2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
•3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
•5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time

Scoring (standard B-27 target) Only need 175pts. to pass

8,9 and 10 rings = 5 points

7 ring = 4 points

on target, outside rings = 3

VIP3R 237
01-29-12, 13:20
Id say shoot the one you'll carry.

I wish utah would require a shooting test. It baffles and scares me how many times at the gun store I hear customers say "i just got my cfp in the mail but ive never owned/shot a gun before, so what should I carry?"

Smash
01-29-12, 13:46
I wish utah would require a shooting test. It baffles and scares me how many times at the gun store I hear customers say "i just got my cfp in the mail but ive never owned/shot a gun before, so what should I carry?"

My point exactly.

Axcelea
01-29-12, 15:24
Pretty sure we can easily do enough CC class stories to provide many hours worth of bashing our heads against a wall.

Instructors pretty much advocating two options. 1: 380 pocket pistols 2: Taurus Judge.

Instructors demonstrating with real firearms and not touching the blue dummy ones and occasionally doing a muzzle sweep. More of a "hey check this out" feel.

No focus on supporting gear like holsters except a brief "this is all you need" pulling out a little $5 nylon pocket holster.

Open book/ask question test.

Most had no firearm experience.

No scoring on how well people shot, just making sure they could be relatively safe.

ooo and ahhhh at the Taurus Judge.

Basic gun information being new and exciting.

Plus side most of the class will probably never carry a gun.....

Why I lean towards use what you want. Might as well get some fun out of it. If you actually need something to pass most of the CC classes out there then there are some issues so just don't do it because the class shouldn't be considered training imo.

Wildcat
01-29-12, 18:45
I used the one I carry and compete with, FS S&W M&P 9mm. Stock gun except for the Apex DCAEK thats in it... Once I acquire some other pistols, I will shoot the qualifier with something else, just to spice things up a bit.

Try a percussion revolver. :lol:

snappy
01-30-12, 17:47
I used a Glock 23. There were most definitely a fair number of folks in that class who had never shot anything before ever! Instructors had their hands full on that exercise let me tell you. The shooting/scoring was super easy but I *did* feel distracted by the amount of sweeping going on. :blink:

Next time I'll use the S&W 442 and wear a plate carrier haha.

okie john
01-30-12, 18:25
Tear up the X-ring with your carry pistol.

Okie John