PDA

View Full Version : Innovative Arms W.A.R.

Gunn-Fighter
01-27-12, 15:47
teaser pics, I just picked up my T&E upper.......only used for a few test shots......it works...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/lucksthename/DSC_0001-22.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/lucksthename/DSC_0002-23.jpg
suppressed
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/lucksthename/DSC_0003-21.jpg
Unsuppressed
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/lucksthename/DSC_0004-18.jpg

One thing I did notice off the bat, Its easier to tell what position you are in than other gas block mounted devices, plus you can tell at night by feeling the rifle, plus you dont have to have your head by the business end of the rifle while switching positions, and the lever doesnt get hot like the ones on the gas block will.....more to come.....enjoy

match308
03-21-12, 09:30
Are these available?

dustburn
03-21-12, 14:46
Are these available?

It looks that way...I wonder how these will hold up with time and if they will influence any changes in the industry. The idea is certainly intriguing.

sinlessorrow
04-11-12, 00:24
saw gunn fighters post on this thing and man is it nice

http://www.gunn-fighter.com/innovative-arms-WAR-receiver.html

just look at the carrier differences

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/lucksthename/DSC_0023-8.jpg

Aries144
04-11-12, 02:30
Since the upper features a valve, I have to assume a custom gas tube is used. Is that correct?

Is a standard gas tube cut to fit? Does a custom gas tube of carbine/midlength/rifle length come with the upper, as specified in an order form?

Is the gas tube non removable?

Noodles
04-15-12, 10:36
Since the upper features a valve, I have to assume a custom gas tube is used. Is that correct?

Is a standard gas tube cut to fit? Does a custom gas tube of carbine/midlength/rifle length come with the upper, as specified in an order form?

Is the gas tube non removable?

Iirc, yes custom, yes can be cut, still removable.

I am going to be very interested in testing this against a switchblock and A5 buffer system.

sinlessorrow
04-15-12, 12:15
Iirc, yes custom, yes can be cut, still removable.

I am going to be very interested in testing this against a switchblock and A5 buffer system.

The best thing about this upper is it allows you to use any rail system you want.

With a noveske block you cant use things like the DD MK18 RIS II, with this you could and still benefit from the same amount of buildup even while suppressed.

I know PSA sells replacement gas tubes as well as this upper.

Aries144
04-15-12, 21:15
Thanks for answering my questions noodles. I appreciate it. If budget allows, I see one of these in my future.

Aries144
09-04-12, 18:39
I spoke with Phillip Woodell at Innovative Arms today and had the chance to ask some specific questions about the upper.

Palmetto State Armory advertises the WAR upper for use with carbine length gas systems. When I asked if it would work with a midlength gas system, I was told to request a midlength gas tube when ordering and they should be able to provide one.

I asked if the gas tube was just a cut down gas tube and was told that it is cut down but also turned down. To me this means it's a proprietary part, unless you've got a lathe to turn down your own.

I asked about the material used for the valve and about what, if any, gas erosion they'd noticed. I was told that the valve was heat treated stainless (I can't remember the exact alloy. I remember being told it's the type used for suppressors) and that they'd seen little erosion of the valves.

It was expained to me that the valve was primarily designed for use on barrels shorter than rifle length and that on a rifle length barrel, the valve needed to be opened up a little. I was also told that a WAR upper receiver was used with a midlength gas system at one of Chris Costa's classes, had around 2600 rounds put through it suppressed, and had no cycling issues related to the gas (one failure to eject was mentioned, which was attributed to a gummed up ejector).

I'm using a 16" BCM CHF pencil barrel with a suppressor and have found gas adjustment options for the smaller gas block used on these barrels to be limited. Further, all other options require the use of a free float front handguard and would also require the additional purchase of a rail-mounted front sight, which I'm not quite ready to pony up the cash for. I'm going to give the WAR upper a shot and see how it works.

eodinert
09-05-12, 04:34
I have one, and it certainly does what it says it does, but I need to spend more time with it to make a final opinion. I'm running mine on an 11.5 inch barrel with a Gemtech Halo.

I did notice that it was calibrated for hot or mil spec loads... but if you run lighter loads, they may not get enough gas suppressed (at least that was my experience). I did notice less gas at the face, which was nice. I was hoping for less noise at the ear, shooting supressed, and while there undoubtedly is less noise, it's not so much less that I feel like I can run without hearing protection.

..but mostly, I need to shoot it more.

Dave_M
12-18-12, 09:44
I've only got a bit over 1k through mine.

I like the recoil reduction more than anything else. Made a short video about it yesterday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl4gDJqECW8

markm
12-18-12, 09:46
This thing is VERY interesting... I was checking it out the other day.

$225 for the upper where I saw it.

SteveL
12-18-12, 12:00
Is it two settings only? Suppressed or unsuppressed? Or does it have in-between settings? Could it be used to counter and oversized gas port?

markm
12-18-12, 12:26
Yeah... two settings.. one about as wide as the inner diameter of the standard gas tube, and the other about half that.

Yes.. it'd be pretty good at calming an over-gassed barrel. I was going to get one if my BlackRiverTactical port kit didn't pan out.

Dave_M
12-18-12, 13:28
I don't know.. it would have to be really overgassed for that to work. My SBR cycles Wolf reliably with an H3 buffer, Tubbs full-size CS flatwire spring, M16 weight carrier...

I tried to make it cycle on the suppressed setting (with no can) by installing a regular car buffer and spring and using IMI M193. Closest I got was an FTE but it mostly just severely short-stroked (like, BCG didn't move back far enough to attempt to extract the casing).

markm
12-18-12, 13:36
Interesting... thanks.

Dave_M
12-18-12, 14:04
Interesting... thanks.

My ideal setup is a 3-position system:
-Suppressed (short strokes on quality ammo when unsuppressed)
-Normal (runs quality but short strokes on Wolf and the like)
-Adverse (runs Wolf and other shit no problem)

As you know, with the WAR there are only two settings so I was attempting to find a setup that runs like my SCAR. On the SCAR, quality ammo runs well on the suppressed setting but short strokes Wolf. Wolf, of course, runs on the, 'adverse' setting. Anywho, no dice.

Currently, side-by-side, my 16" SCAR on the adverse setting using IMI recoils more than my SBR suppressed. It's pretty damn awesome.

markm
12-18-12, 14:06
That would be ideal.