PDA

View Full Version : Knife pouch

gearguy141
01-28-12, 02:35
Hey

anyone got suggestions on a molle compatible knife pouch that will kit a medium sized crkt m-16 knife ?

maximus83
01-29-12, 14:25
When I carried my folding knife in a pouch or sheath on the belt, for a while I used a Benchmade nylon pouch, then I used a Maxpedition sheath. The Max sheath was better (stitching, materials, and fasteners), and more compatible for attaching to almost any type of gear. A limitation of the Max sheath is that the closed length of the knife can only be about 5". I don't know what the closed length of those CRKT M16 knives is, but if it's much over 5", it may not fit. If you have a local shop that carries Max products, you might take the knife and see if they'll let you check the fit in the sheath.

If the Max sheath won't work and you still want a sheath, the Spec-Ops gear is US-made and they have a larger pouch that goes to 5.5". I have not tried these, but I've had some of their larger sheaths including the Combat Master, and their stuff is usually well made. Might want to check this out.
http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/sheaths/super-sheath.html

A couple of other thoughts on carrying folders. For myself, I got to the point where I didn't want to carry a folder in a pouch or sheath. For EDC purposes, I wanted the folder quickly deployable, so I keep it clipped to my pocket. When I'm backpacking, I carry a 5" fixed blade on my belt with a kydex sheath, and the folder usually goes in a smaller zippered case with my multitool and some other essentials, where the case is attached to my pack. But either way, I don't find the scenario of carrying a folder in a sheath on the belt all that helpful for my uses. It's either too slow to deploy usefully, OR I'm in a case where I can carry a fixed blade openly on a belt or pack, which is preferable anyway since FB's are stronger than folders. Sometimes it's worth considering not just "what sheath to get", but also HOW you carry. IMHO, a folder is only a last ditch self-defense option in ANY scenario (due to the slowness of deploying it and the reduced strength vs a fixed blade). But if ou ARE going to carry a folder for defensive use, you may not want it in a closed fold-over type of sheath or pouch, as that will make it even slower to deploy.

Axcelea
01-29-12, 14:38
Thought of trying some pistol mag pouches out or in general utility pouches or pockets? If the knife is just for utility I go in that direction.

If it is for fighting then maximus83 has it pretty squared away, would much rather have it clipped in a pocket, belt, etc or just a flat out fixed blade knife.

gearguy141
01-29-12, 17:40
thanks guys, my particular knife is 4 and 3/4 of an inch long and the blade will be more for utility and basic stuff , no fighting with this blade
i keep a ka-bar on my combat pack and a lmf 2 infantry knife by gerber on my chest rig.

- gearguy141