PDA

View Full Version : 1 for training, 1 for carry

USA
01-28-12, 10:00
Why is it that people recommend 1 semi-auto for training, 1 for carry, and if funds allow it, 1 for night stand, but I don't see the same recommendation for rifle and shotguns.

Is it because semi-autos are less reliable/durable than rifle and shotguns, harder to use proficiently, or less expensive, and therefore, allowing the luxury of back-ups?

Beat Trash
01-28-12, 10:20
I use the same principle with my AR carbines.

I have one for use at work (carry) and one for training/spare. Both guns are set up identically.

Any gun that is actually used in a shooting, whether one is a LEO or a private citizen, will be taken into evidence. This will remain there until at least such time as the Prosecutor's office determines if the case will be presented to a Grand Jury.

It's nice to have access to a spare gun during this timeframe. If that spare gun is identical to the primary gun, so much the better. This applies to handguns and carbines as well. It is not unheard of for the friends and relatives of the individual you shot to have issues with your decision making process, and want to act on those issues they may have.

While I still own shotguns, I don't use them much anymore for defensive purposes. I train with them at work because our marked cars still have them and I am mandated to qualify with them each year. But for my personal needs, my AR carbines have replaced my shotguns for my defensive needs.

bigghoss
01-28-12, 10:34
^ More or less covers it. One gun is for training because that gun is getting used and worn out and it's going to break. When it does you still have your carry gun which has only been shot a little to make sure it works. The possible third is to fill in for one of the others if something happens like breakage, seized as evidence, or you want to send it off for custom work. It's all about eliminating down-time and having to make do with something else. I have actually seen this practice recommended across the board for pistols, rifles and shotguns. It makes sense since most of us own multiple guns that fill the same role but it's more fun to have different guns rather than 3 of the same.

1oldgrunt
01-28-12, 12:56
I knew the govt was out to get me:mad:.... they sent me to war with only 1 rifle, no backup rifle and NO handgun:confused: (had to acquire one on my own;)). Wheeew makes you wonder how i made it thru!?:p Thankfully my RTO always had assets ready to go!:D

this from a guy with multiples of most firearms :cool:

ST911
01-28-12, 13:25
Always good to have a spare, regardless of type.

rob_s
01-28-12, 13:40
Why is it that people recommend 1 semi-auto for training, 1 for carry, and if funds allow it, 1 for night stand, but I don't see the same recommendation for rifle and shotguns.

Maybe you're not looking in the right places? :p

I advocate this for any gun you think of as defensive in nature.

operator81
01-28-12, 13:58
I'm working on this very thing. I'm issued a Sig P229R in .357 Sig. Since it is cost prohibitive to practice in that caliber, I'm moving some stuff around to get the same thing in 9mm.

Schulze
01-28-12, 14:08
I do it because I tire of unloading and loading my self defense gun with self defense ammunition. Sometimes I would forget and be carrying low quality ammunition. Having two guns reduces those issues.

Nephrology
01-28-12, 14:25
I have a Glock 17RTF, 19 and 26 that give me a good amount of redundancy with versatility in their size. My G17RTF is a dedicated competition gun while the other 2 are CC -only and do not get shot much. All are set up the same way.

That said, the next gun my list is another Glock 19...

Axcelea
01-28-12, 18:47

Is it because semi-autos are less reliable/durable than rifle and shotguns, harder to use proficiently, or less expensive, and therefore, allowing the luxury of back-ups?

Depending on the individual most of the reasons have all ready been given on why having two is recommended. Keeping the carry gun as low ware as possible reduces the risk of failure due to parts fatigue shall it be needed, don't have to mess with ammunition rotation or blowing through more expensive ammunition at every range trip, if there is a confiscation for evidence then you have a backup (although it is a bit more worn out), if something does break while practicing then the carry is still there and only the practice gun is down, some will even do it for loaners, etc.

Why you usually hear about it with handguns and not rifles/shotguns? Reliability and durability of quality handguns is good and up there with rifles and shotguns (save manual loaders and the like) and owning more than one handgun doesn't make it easier or increase proficiency so those are probably not the reasons for the trend. Being cheaper will cause more to advocate it, a lot of people who own shotguns and rifles probably also have a handgun to fall back on shall something happen to the rifle or shotgun but you cannot substitute a handgun with a rifle or shotgun for conceal carry or every day carry, and since handguns are pretty much the most versatile in how much they can be used there probably is more focus on them.

There are of course many who do advocate duplicates of rifles and shotguns to fall back on, or at least close substitutes.

Clint
01-28-12, 19:32
This falls under the category of:

"always have a backup plan for critical things"

i.e.
Two complete carbines + a spare bolt/BCG

Two complete pistols + a spare striker

Even Lee Majors in The Fall Guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fall_Guy) had two identical trucks, for the exact same reasons.

trinydex
01-30-12, 21:35
I do it because I tire of unloading and loading my self defense gun with self defense ammunition. Sometimes I would forget and be carrying low quality ammunition. Having two guns reduces those issues.

Loading and unloading in general is a hassle. Think of all the rounds u dimple and keeping track of them in the training box.

Having to unload mags to practice some reloads is a hassle.

Its nice to just have a training set up ready to go. Having a spare is also a big contribution tobpeace of mind.

tpd223
01-30-12, 22:07
I use the same principle with my AR carbines.

I have one for use at work (carry) and one for training/spare. Both guns are set up identically.

Any gun that is actually used in a shooting, whether one is a LEO or a private citizen, will be taken into evidence. This will remain there until at least such time as the Prosecutor's office determines if the case will be presented to a Grand Jury.

It's nice to have access to a spare gun during this timeframe. If that spare gun is identical to the primary gun, so much the better. This applies to handguns and carbines as well. It is not unheard of for the friends and relatives of the individual you shot to have issues with your decision making process, and want to act on those issues they may have.

While I still own shotguns, I don't use them much anymore for defensive purposes. I train with them at work because our marked cars still have them and I am mandated to qualify with them each year. But for my personal needs, my AR carbines have replaced my shotguns for my defensive needs.

^This^

oef24
01-30-12, 23:53
Since money is usually the limiting factor, most people that I come by try to get an identical pistol setup because they are generally less expensive than a rifle. I think it is a good idea to have at least a pair of everything. There is no need to get OC about it and I have been known to get a little OC. I generally keep identical pistols and rifles. One usually gets a little more use than the other but I do maintain them all and will trust my life to them anytime. I also like to have an identical backup. Weapon commonality is definitely a plus in my book.
Also, if and when possible, I prefer to carry 2 identical pistols for CCW and their respective little brothers when full size is not permitted because of clothing.

O

ricksterr
02-06-12, 22:59
I've been trying to justify buying the same piece twice. Thanks.

JSantoro
02-07-12, 10:53
... but I don't see the same recommendation for rifle and shotguns.

You're not reading enough, or just skimming.

I'd particularly suggest rooting through class AARs. An armorer to fix a broke gun isn't always available, so it's considered a REALLY good practice to have a solution in place. Whether it's your gun that goes down, or another student's, and you try to wrangle some good karma by letting them use your spare.

Be assured that recommendations for a backup for ANY serious-use firearm (especially one of very similar, if not duplicate, configuration) are a common theme.

That said, you're not a villian if you don't do that. Everybody makes their own decisions, based upon their resources, usage, etc.

streck
02-07-12, 10:58
Two is one and one is none.