PDA

View Full Version : Ma Deuce M2 50 Cal rebuilds for the Army

chadbag
01-28-12, 12:44
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-24/m2-machine-gun-gets-u-s-army-makeover.html?utm_source=Jan+27+BTW&utm_campaign=BTW+Jan+28&utm_medium=email

Armati
01-28-12, 13:32
Yeah, the Israelis had a quick change bbl for the M2HB about 30 years ago. Better late than never...

Iraqgunz
01-28-12, 16:36
Let me say this.

The M2 QCB system has been in use for years. I know the Aussies and others have been using it. In addition, someone was doing a conversion that allowed it to fire from the open bolt configuration and as far as I know, it was reliable.

Now for the rest of the article. There is alot of misleading and sensational journalism there. Just some brief background on my experience with the .50.

When I was in the Army I routinely set up and operated the .50 as they were the main armament we had on the M113 APC. We also used them in dismounted roles.

When I was in the USCG I spearheaded a project for refurbishing the Mk 26 MOD 17 gun mount. The .50 caliber is in wide use in the USCG in many small boats and ships above 87 feet.

When we conducted gunnery drills we would set up the gun in less than a minute (IIRC) and setting heaspace was easy. Generally speaking when the timing has been set properly, it did not need frequent changes.

I also investigated two separate mishaps with the .50 caliber and in both cases personnel took shortcuts and did not follow procedures. This was especially true when it came to setting headspace.

CarlosDJackal
01-29-12, 01:00
From the article:
Setting them involves screwing in the barrel, listening for clicks and making adjustments with a small tool.

Is the the tool they are referring to the the GO/NO-GO tool? I don't remember using any other tool when replacing the barrel of an M2.

Iraqgunz
01-29-12, 02:12
That's what I assumed. They apprarently don't know that the gage does nothing other than Go or No Go.

From the article:

Is the the tool they are referring to the the GO/NO-GO tool? I don't remember using any other tool when replacing the barrel of an M2.