PDA

View Full Version : Best "rough-house" BUIS

heavytank2
01-28-12, 15:19
So, there is a school of thought out there, that all optics/sights are to be treated like a precision instrument. Usually, that is the case.

But, what BUIS is going to hold zero during a SHTF/Run-for-your-life scenario and not just a bench queen?

The worst could happen, so prepare is my thought. There will be mud, trip-and-falls, rain, back-packing, hiking, etc. Which one will you pull the trigger on and trust?

This is NOT my YHM sight, it developed play in the mechanism that holds it upright. Throwing trajectory off. So with taxes around the corner :D ....

BSWilson
01-28-12, 15:34
Fixed:

LMT, LaRue

Folding:

KAC, ARMS, Matech, and as much as I hate to say it, GG&G MAD.

I don't know how accurate it is, but I'd heard that some of the more popular folding sights out there haven't been adopted in the military because they break instead of fold when they contact something hard, as opposed to the ones I listed which have a detenting action but will ultimately give.

You're probably not going to use it very much if you have optics, so I'd just to just get a $40 Matech and put your money elsewhere.

kartoffel
01-28-12, 18:23
I don't know how accurate it is, but I'd heard that some of the more popular folding sights out there haven't been adopted in the military because they break instead of fold when they contact something hard, as opposed to the ones I listed which have a detenting action but will ultimately give.

Yep. I can't speak for Uncle Sam, but it is precisely why I personally avoid sights that lock in the up position.

HiLow64Imp
02-06-12, 09:26
Best fixed sights out there in my opinion are the Daniel Defense. If you want to go with folders look at Troy

ra2bach
02-06-12, 14:25
the LMT sight (or a cut carry handle) is the one I'd want if I was going irons only but I'd sooner have a DD A1.5 for a fixed BUIS.

I should say I use fixed for lower third co-witness on a RDS.

I only use folding BUIS with a scope or absolute co-witness with RDS and keep them in the down position.

for folding BUIS I have been using Troy. these lock in the up position. I'm happy with these but Magpul MBUS, which lock in the down but are free to move against spring pressure in the up position, gets high marks for durability and easy of use.

in the past I have used GG&G, and Midwest Industries and they seem similar with the GG&G being more durable.

ARMS has gotten bad remarks but I have no experience with them. Matech also has known problems.

KAC seems to be the gold standard...

REM
02-15-12, 19:10
I've had really good luck with the GG&G M.A.D. BUIS. My agency has about 200 of these in service currently. The only problem we have had with them is when operators forget to depress the detent when folding it down. It doesn't affect the zero, but does break the locking assembly.

The other nice feature with the GG&G is it is very low profile so you do not have to worry about it fitting underneath whatever glass you mount.

I also have experience with the Troy folding sight and the Magpul. Have not had any problems with them so far.

lethal dose
02-15-12, 19:33
When I think bulletproof, I think strong and simple... which (oftentimes) means fewer moving parts. DD and TROY fixed are probably gonna fill that niche best.

IDFtrooper
03-09-12, 23:32
I personally prefer Matech.

d90king
03-10-12, 06:31
The LMT BUIS is the most robust BUIS I have used. Period. That said, I am confused why this is in the precision rifle forum. LMT's would not work well in that role with glass.

wahoo95
03-10-12, 09:45
I run Troys, PRI's, and MBUS.....all folded down in conjunction with Aimpoint optics. Outside of reconfirming my zeros or occasionally shooting an iron sights only match I have never felt that they weren't up to the task considering they spend 99% of the time folded down. I guess I could see how this could be a bigger concern for anyone who funds the Back Up Iron sights deployed most of the time.

For fixed irons I prefer fixed FSB and LMT rear or cut carry handle.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
03-10-12, 10:37
After running GG&G, Magpul (Gen.1), and a DD fixed rear, I got my first set of Troy folders on my M&P15T a few years ago. I've switched to ALL Troy folders ALL the time now (save for a Magpul rear on my TacSol dedicated .22LR AR). NEVER an issue!

M1AG30
03-10-12, 12:51
gotta go with the A.R.M.S ...i use the #40 rear.... but i see the poit made about my YHM front flip integrated gas tube sight not giving in an impact type situation.... will look into a Troy... thank for the info guys!

seb5
03-10-12, 14:58
Over the years I've owned ARMS, GG and G, PRI, YHI, Magpul, Matech, KAC, DD, and Troy, and probably a few more. My favorites are Troys and I like the KAC micro.

charmcitycop
03-10-12, 15:39

MCS
03-10-12, 16:09
Best fixed sights out there in my opinion are the Daniel Defense. If you want to go with folders look at Troy

+1 on the DD's. I have never used anything but fixed DD's. The good thing about fixed is that you don't have to work about a spring or mechanical part failing. I would say you can "rough house" fixed sights as hard as you want.

SteadyUp
03-10-12, 16:39
I can't speak for front BUIS, as I run a fixed front sight post, but as far as rear BUIS go, I use a DD A1.5 on both two of my carbines, and they've taken a fair amount of abuse (from being knocked around during classes, to being knocked against barricades when shooting drills) while retaining zero.

Basically, any fixed BUIS, that has a rather rugged profile (LMT, DD, or a chopped carry handle) should do well.

Inuvik
03-10-12, 17:51
My M4 and I fell off of an ATV at decent speed and I landed on top of my gun. The rear Laure sight dug a 4" deep gouge in the ground, and was completely full of dirt, but was still right on once I cleaned it out. The thing is built like a tank!

Redhat
03-13-12, 22:53
If it matters, the Matech does not have a large aperture.

Dave_M
03-14-12, 23:09
Fixed:
DD.

Folding:
KAC, Troy

big b
03-15-12, 00:20
Troy makes some of the best BUIS out there IMO.

I had a Daniel Defense fixed rear sight for a while. It is a quality sight, but I prefer folding sights.

JohnnyC
03-15-12, 00:46
Fixed: DD

Folding: KAC

No substitutions on either.

Tennesseevolz
03-31-12, 15:27
Kac if money is no object, but the Magpul units seem to hold up very well- when I replaced mine w/ KAC the guy I bought them from asked why I would switch- (he says he is SF @ FTCKY) and that he runs the mag puls over seas-

msp21
07-11-12, 21:28
After much research and deliberation I have settled on the DD A1.5 BUIS. When I decide to put an optic on my rifle I will re-evaluate what or if I will run BUIS.

filthy phil
07-12-12, 05:15
tagged for shopping info

highlighter
07-12-12, 05:40
LMT FOR ME.

wtheesfeld
07-12-12, 07:02
My troy folding rear is very solid. Well made and dependable. And metal.

mallowpufft
07-12-12, 09:58
I was looking at Vuurwapenblog and saw that he did some basic testing of a few BUIS options, MBUIS, Troy, and Diamondhead, and the results were not remotely what I expected them to be when I started reading.

The original test was published on military.com and he added a few comments on his blog because of word limits where the original article appeared.
As I don't like copypasta-ing other's writing in whole I'll post the links for you to check out.

Original article (http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html)

Follow up on blog (http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/07/08/buisoptic-drop-test/)

David Thomas
07-12-12, 10:22
I was looking at Vuurwapenblog and saw that he did some basic testing of a few BUIS options, MBUIS, Troy, and Diamondhead, and the results were not remotely what I expected them to be when I started reading.

The original test was published on military.com and he added a few comments on his blog because of word limits where the original article appeared.
As I don't like copypasta-ing other's writing in whole I'll post the links for you to check out.

Original article (http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html)

Follow up on blog (http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/07/08/buisoptic-drop-test/)

I saw this and was surprised by the results. A larger sample size test would be cool.

BrigandTwoFour
07-12-12, 11:48
I also saw Andrew's posting and was surprised. I would like to see more as well.

ginarik
07-13-12, 15:17
I'm running the Fixed Troy BUIS on one of my rifles and they're quite durable.

TehLlama
07-13-12, 20:55
I've been running a mix of DD Fixed Fronts with TROY or MBUS on the rears - Andrew's post seemed to verify a lot of what I already knew in that regard - those are all tough critters, the only distinction being that each of those rifles has an Aimpoint on an LT mount, which is comparably hard to affect.

docsherm
07-13-12, 21:03
Troy has the best folding.......I do not use fixed.

ArmedPete
07-14-12, 22:10
Midwest Industries makes some very nice sights.