PDA

View Full Version : new sig p224 and 938

Kruggy5.56
01-28-12, 15:37
Was on sigs website the other day and seen these added to there pistol line up. The subcompact 224 and 938 a 9mm version of the 238. I like the 224 but not what to think of the 938 due to the 238 being to small for me, they say the 938 is a lil larger.

I guess sig unveiled them at the shot show, anyone see them up close?

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-29-12, 01:14
The last thing Sig needs to be doing right no is releasing more DA/SA pistols of different flavors. Fix the classics please. The 224 looks like an exact replica of one of those Taurus abortions.

S-1
01-29-12, 02:40
The last thing Sig needs to be doing right no is releasing more DA/SA pistols of different flavors. Fix the classics please. The 224 looks like an exact replica of one of those Taurus abortions.

Huh? SIG should have developed the P224 years ago. It's a subcompact of the P226 and P229. It'll sell very well, especially to guys who are issued the full size mod
els (Ala G26/27).

Belmont31R
01-29-12, 02:53
Huh? SIG should have developed the P224 years ago. It's a subcompact of the P226 and P229. It'll sell very well, especially to guys who are issued the full size mod
els (Ala G26/27).

Id rather them fix the QC issues with their current lineup before they start introducing more models that will likely have the same issues.

To me they are just another brand who has ditched quality and are simply riding on their name and past. Its not just firearms but the new model is to take an old quality name, throw out crap, and make as much money as possible while still charging prices they earned when they turned out a reliable/quality product.

rathos
01-29-12, 05:09
I always laugh when I see stuff like this. Yes I see a lot of people complaining about "new" sigs, but how many people will post when they have a good one? I have owned two "new" sigs and one triple serial over the last few years. The new ones I still have and they are going strong, the triple serial was the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned and was sold shortly after I purchased it (and yes, I did have it worked over by a sig armorer with everything including the barrel in the gun replaced besides the frame and slide).

I think that sig would be better if they cut the number of different trims per model.

That being said I can't wait until the p224 comes in DA/SA so I can pick one up, and my 226 is going to stay on my hip on duty.

Id rather them fix the QC issues with their current lineup before they start introducing more models that will likely have the same issues.

To me they are just another brand who has ditched quality and are simply riding on their name and past. Its not just firearms but the new model is to take an old quality name, throw out crap, and make as much money as possible while still charging prices they earned when they turned out a reliable/quality product.

kmrtnsn
01-29-12, 12:34
els (Ala G26/27).

Where the eff was the P224 10-12 years ago? Back when SIG ruled the LE market, a sub compact P Series made a lot of sense. Now that the features on the P Series are obsolete (in terms of what the LE market wants on a duty gun) the P224 makes no sense at all. Oh, and a DAK trigger? give me a eff'in break. DAK is German for "sucks ass".

Where is their competitive, striker or hammer-fired, polymer framed duty gun in an assortment of frame sizes? Oh yeah, they don't have one.

Hell, FN sells a better polymer-framed duty pistol that SIG does, the only thing holding FN back is their pistols only come in one size; for now. Wait, FN will have a sub-compact for the FNX/FNS before SIG can bring a competitive service pistol to market.

operator81
01-29-12, 12:47
The P224 does not excite me. That being said, I'm issued P229R, and that does not look like it is going to change anytime soon. So if the P224 can runs well enough in .357 Sig I'll begrudgingly buy one as a back-up.

Kruggy5.56
01-29-12, 13:30
Operator 81, U not like ur 229r?....i picked one up last yr and so far no problems with it.

I heard the local Sheriffs and marshals are still issued the 226,And 229. Also was told the marshals was goin to switch the the 250 but turned it down.

ST911
01-29-12, 13:32
The 224 is late to the game and won't have the effect it once could have. Other than a little capacity (not for itself, but continuity of fire), there's little gained in the 224 over the existing 239. And for little more trouble, one could carry a full size 228 or 229.

It's also sized in the same approximate size class as the G19, G30, M&P Compact. Tough competition there.

This guy will sell to Sig loyalists, agency and group customers, and some odds and ends.

kmrtnsn
01-29-12, 13:39
The 224 is late to the game and won't have the effect it once could have. Other than a little capacity (not for itself, but continuity of fire), there's little gained in the 224 over the existing 239. And for little more trouble, one could carry a full size 228 or 229.

It's also sized in the same approximate size class as the G19, G30, M&P Compact. Tough competition there.

This guy will sell to Sig loyalists, agency and group customers, and some odds and ends.

The P239 was never a good subcompact analog to the P226/8/9 due to the fact it could never use the full-size mags ala Glock, S&W, H&K, et cetera. Now they finally have a sub-compact but no LE market share to make use of it; too little, too late.

chuckman
01-29-12, 14:48
I think the 239 is a great compact gun. I agree that the 224 is too little too late given the alternatives. No one has mentioned pirce yet...I would rather get two Glock 19s (or M&Ps) AND get some ammo for the MSRP of one 224.

operator81
01-29-12, 17:43
Operator 81, U not like ur 229r?....i picked one up last yr and so far no problems with it.

I heard the local Sheriffs and marshals are still issued the 226,And 229. Also was told the marshals was goin to switch the the 250 but turned it down.

I like my P229R well enough. I prefer Glocks but the P229 good for an issued piece. The P224 does not excite me at all, even though I can see a potential use for it.

Kruggy5.56
01-29-12, 20:53
Im also a big glock fan, I prefer my G19 over my 229. I just picked 229 up just for fun and home protection.

chadbag
01-29-12, 21:06
I tried a P224 at the SHOT Show. The trigger felt heavier than the DAK in my P229R (which has been relegated to storage as a fun gun and replaced by an M&P over 3 years ago). I sought it out as a favor to a friend who asked me if I had seen it. He is a SIG user from long ago.

Unless you are a big SIG fan, I'd pass for a more modern gun.

xrayoneone
01-29-12, 21:16
I have to agree with what Skintop and kmrtnsn have said. I'm issued a P229 and the 224 would have been my backup had it come out several years ago. Now I have a 239 (love it) and will not change because I have to much invested into it, holsters, mags, spare parts, etc. I wished that the 250 would have performed better AND had the capability to accept 226/229 magazines. Sig really screwed the pooch with that thing.

As far as talking about good Sigs I have my 239, a 2009 229 in 40 S&W with a 22lr conversion unit and recently sold a 232. All of these weapons have run like champs with thousands of rounds through them.

Psalms144.1
01-29-12, 22:03
The 938 was interesting, but, given Sig's track record with issues involving the 238, I'd let someone else be their beta tester for a while before I even seriously thought about one.

The 224 felt very large, heavy, and "dead" with regards to balance in my hand. I can't imagine carrying a pistol that large and heavy as a BUG - either off-side or ankle - but that's just me. I know guys who used to carry their P228s on their ankles, so it's definitely a personal preference for me.

If my agency was still "Sig Only," I might be more interested, but, luckily, I was able to give the 224 a quick look over then move on.

And, yes, I agree, the DAK trigger seemed noticeably heavier than the trigger on my issued P229. I'm sure it has something to do with having to truncate the hammer strut and spring - but I could be completely off base.

Regards,

Kevin