PDA

View Full Version : Medium Or High?

rileyfrance
01-28-12, 16:03
I recently got a Trijicon Accupoint 5x20 scope for my FNH SCAR 17S. I need to know what mounts for one, are good, and two are the right height. I like the A.R.M.S. lever scope mounts. Is there a low profile rail system? Or better to just go with the individual rings?:D:D:D

Vendetta
08-13-12, 00:12
Not to be a complete ass, but given your other post asking what uniforms certain units wear, I'm not putting a lot of merit into this being a legit question. How would you come up with a SCAR, but know nothing about mounts?

Edit: I found your mount http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-P-30mm-Red-Dot-Sight-Mount-Navy-SEAL-NSWC-GP376B-/320568093322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa358ea8a#ht_760wt_689.

rileyfrance
08-13-12, 07:07
I'm not asking for you to put merit in to anything. I am just seeking information on a certain, new line of gear. I had the SCAR long before I cared about the uniform. I also don't see how putting "merit" into this question has anything to do with anything. I am a US Marine and could careless about you and and your merit. Oh and I have my scope mounted and it works great, so thanks for nothing as well.

rileyfrance
08-13-12, 07:11
Thank you anyways.

masakari
08-13-12, 07:44
Not to be a complete ass, but given your other post asking what uniforms certain units wear, I'm not putting a lot of merit into this being a legit question. How would you come up with a SCAR, but know nothing about mounts?

Edit: I found your mount http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-P-30mm-Red-Dot-Sight-Mount-Navy-SEAL-NSWC-GP376B-/320568093322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa358ea8a#ht_760wt_689.

Aah yes, the old uniforms and scope mount trick. Those terrorists are so sneaky! I happen to know Riley, and he is infact a US Marine. Im fairly certain he is deployed right now, or getting ready to deploy too. He was asking about trousers that he had seen in use because he liked the built in knee pads, and now is asking for help on what would be the appropriate scope mount for his application. He is not an airsofter or a poser, he is fighting for YOUR freedom right now.
He is new to this sort of thing, and i recommended this website to him over others like TOS because the people here are so knowledgeable and helpful. Please dont prove me wrong, "Vendetta"
ANYWAYS, Riley: your answer lies with LaRue. There are a couple options:
LaRue LT111 is a standard height mount with 0 MOA cant
http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-obr-qd-scope-mount
LaRue LT120 sits a little lower, but im not sure of the clearance over the rear BUIS. Also if you ever plan on getting a PVS14 (i wouldnt doubt it for you haha) then the scope would sit too low. Since your SCAR has an adjustable cheek piece anyways, i would go with the one above.
http://www.laruetactical.com/lt120
Brief explanation: the one piece units are stronger, easier to mount up, and come off as one piece when quickly removed. I dont really like individual rings except when you need to mount something extra low. Anything AR height or close to it is really "extra high" height for the most part, but these kind of rings dont follow the standard description of ring height.
As far as MOA cant, thats for extreme long range shooting and essentially gives you extra elevation adjustment because the scope is already pointing down slightly. For you, i recommend starting with 0 MOA cant.
Lastly, go with LaRue's regular QD mounting system, not the VFZ. The VFZ isnt really QD, and to me is really annoying to use, plus it costs more.

Vendetta
08-13-12, 10:02
In that case, my apologies. LT mounts are the only way to do. I would stay away from ARMS mounts.

rileyfrance
08-13-12, 12:52
In that case, my apologies. LT mounts are the only way to do. I would stay away from ARMS mounts.

Thank you very much. I already found the mounts for it a long time ago. I've heard very good things about this forum, thats why when I revived that reply this morning I thought this dude can't be serious. Thank you none the less, take care.

shootist~
08-13-12, 18:35
rileyfrance - Thanks for your service!

The critical spec is the rear bell of your scope, since it will be mounted over at least part of the rear sight on the SCAR. Also, if you have the 17's charging handle on the left side, some people (I'm not one of them) have problems with a QD mount, since the QD levers are on the left.

I'm running a LaRue LT-104 mount (also known as the SPR mount) on my 17 with a NF 2.5-10x32. For reference this mount puts the centerline of the 30mm scope about 1.6" over the top of the rail. The rear bell on the NF with the thinish NF factory scope cap has "a little" room to spare over the irons, but not much. It's probably about .010 - .015".

Conventional rings will work fine - if you can find something that gets you enough scope height - somewhere around 1.45 to 1.6" centerline above the rail, depending on the OD of your rear bell - with scope cover in place. [ETA: High rings at ~1" centerline above the rail won't get you there and Extra High may not either - some of those run 1.375" centerline, IIRC.]

The OD of the rear bell + cap on the NF 2.5-10x32 is ~1.75". Compare that to your 5-20x50 and you at least have a starting point. Hope this helps.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/shootist87122/SCAR17/SCAR17NXS051412s.jpg