PDA

View Full Version : Dead Trigger & M&P's

Omega Man
01-29-12, 01:42
Has S&W fixed this issue? Im thinking of getting an M&P soon and i don't want to run into that problem.

Sensei
01-29-12, 04:17
The new(er) sear housing block with larger sear spring and plunger have fixed this problem.

Omega Man
01-29-12, 06:34
Thanks. Im assuming Grant has the new iteration?

ralph
01-29-12, 10:47
The dead trigger issue has been fixed, for awhile..Grant should have pistols with the larger sear springs..You could always e-mail him and ask, just to make sure..

HeavyDuty
01-29-12, 13:35
The dead trigger issue has been fixed, for awhile..Grant should have pistols with the larger sear springs..You could always e-mail him and ask, just to make sure..

I take it that you don't believe the larger sear return plunger and spring will resolve the dead trigger issue long term?

bp7178
01-29-12, 13:46
I think he's saying the parts to correct the problem were released a while ago, not that it's a short term solution.

IIRC, there is red paint applied to the part of the trigger bar where it depresses the plunger. It's a quick check if you have a gun to current specs, as the trigger bar came after the larger spring.

HeavyDuty
01-29-12, 13:50
Good point - that comma threw me off.

"Eats, shoots and leaves."

Sensei
01-29-12, 14:16
If you have the older sear housing, you can call Smith and tell them that you are having dead trigger problems and and they will replace it for free. I did this for an older M&P that I'm trying to upgrade with the APEX FSST. Unfortunately, they required that I ship them the pistol (they provided the pre-paid shipping label). I'd hoped they would just send me the sear housing. The turn around was 9 days.

brushy bill
01-29-12, 16:56
They replaced mine due to sporadic dead trigger as well. Could not duplicate. Return invoice said something about sear block so guess same fix. Quick turn.

You are clearly more proficient with MP takedown than I. Certainly glad I didn't have to fix it myself. I can strip a Glock no problem, but the pins in my M&P are so tight, I am afraid to drive them out. Not moving easily at all and I don't want to break anything.

C4IGrant
01-29-12, 17:11
Has S&W fixed this issue? Im thinking of getting an M&P soon and i don't want to run into that problem.

Yes, back in the Summer of 2011.

C4

Sensei
01-29-12, 19:54
They replaced mine due to sporadic dead trigger as well. Could not duplicate. Return invoice said something about sear block so guess same fix. Quick turn.

You are clearly more proficient with MP takedown than I. Certainly glad I didn't have to fix it myself. I can strip a Glock no problem, but the pins in my M&P are so tight, I am afraid to drive them out. Not moving easily at all and I don't want to break anything.

Unlike Glock, the M&P pins are meant to be hammered out rather than pushed. A 1/8" punch is needed for the take down. APEX Tactical has a really good series of YouTube tutorials on how to do the takedown and install their parts.