PDA

View Full Version : My first AR build

Tommato
01-29-12, 16:28
After reading a lot (including here) and talking to other owners, here is my first AR build. I am intending it for regular 1-2 times per week range training (indoor), classes, home D, and SHTF. I envision usage from 0 to 200 yds.

Here is the spec list:

BCM 16" midlength lightweight complete upper, with CHF barrel

Aero Precision stripped forged lower

G&R complete (Option 4) LPK with:
- Tactical springs CS blue buffer spring
- Spikes ST-T2 buffer
- Noveske QD sling plate

BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle

Spikes BCG

MOE midlegth handguard with IWC mount n slot QD sling socket installed

Magpul K grip

VLTOR regular modstock ($20 NIB, couldn't resist)

Aimpoint CompM4 (wanted PRO optic, but found NIB M4 for $500, so again couldn't resist) with Aimpoint QRP2 mount

VTAC padded sling with IWC 2:1 triglide for fast QD conversion from single to dual point

No Rear BUIS yet, but looking at Daniel D 1.5 fixed, or Troy folding

Maglevel PMAGs

Also had spikes BCG and hammer coated by WMD guns with Nickel Boron. May be a waste, but knowing myself, wanted easier/faster cleanup.

Is this setup GTG?

Thanks,
Tommato

lethal dose
01-29-12, 18:16
Not a fan of the gimmicky buffer, but overall... nice rig. One absolute necessity is a good white light and mount.

Tommato
01-30-12, 13:39
Thanks Lethal.

As for a decent flashlight and mount, do you have any suggestions? Also, are you in favor of tape switches or just using the switches mounted on the flashlight body/tailcap?

Thnx,
Tommato

brit
01-30-12, 13:42
IWC offers a nice light mount for the MOE handguard. They even sell their mount and a Surefire G2x as a combo. Its a really solid setup.

Tommato
01-30-12, 17:43
Brit - I see the combo that IWC offers on that. I'm seriously considering it. Looks reliable, with no tape switch - and probably thumb on tailcap activation.

Thanks,
Tom

Pork Chop
01-30-12, 18:11
I have that light setup and with a forward, thumb over grip I can activate the light with just a light nudge of the knuckle of my thumb. Works great.

TehLlama
01-31-12, 00:32
Buy the TROY rear BUIS. Buy ammo. Expend ammo. Repeat steps two and three. That looks very nice.