PDA

View Full Version : Army Surplus Jeeps

montanadave
01-29-12, 22:01
I ran into an old high school buddy a week or so ago and we were shooting the breeze about the good old days, many of which were spent rip-shittin' around in a couple of old surplus jeeps his dad owned. If I remember correctly, one was a Willys and one was a Ford, but there were both WWII vintage (this was in the mid-seventies).

I was considering buying an ATV to keep out on some country property, but after this conversation I got to thinking how much more utilitarian an old jeep would be (plus I could live out my old Rat Patrol fantasies :laugh:). The Honda Rancher I was looking at was going to run somewhere between $5-6K and I was wondering if that kind of money might be better spent on a jeep.

Could a guy find a decent bare bones surplus jeep in sound mechanical condition for under $7500? If so, what specific models would I be looking for and which ones would I be advised to avoid? And where's a good place to start looking for one? I guess I'm just trolling for suggestions from any forum members who may be army jeep enthusiasts or have a background with these vehicles.

kmrtnsn
01-29-12, 22:07
The military hasn't run Jeep like vehicles since the '80's and those were M151's, not the old Jeeps that you're looking for. Any old "surplus" jeep won't be under $7.5K and would be worth more restored, as a collector vehicle that as a fun buggy.

ChicagoTex
01-29-12, 23:10
What he said. Pretty much all the old military jeeps are now either collector's items or useless for anything but parts.

With that said, 7.5k could easily get you a used Wrangler.

Javelin
01-29-12, 23:15
I saw a company a while back offering restored Army Jeeps for sale. They were fully resto-projects but were expensive... like $20K if I remember correctly.

Even a used Wrangler still fetches a pretty penny. There is just a large after-market crowd for those vehicles.

MistWolf
01-30-12, 01:26
Check Craigslist. This one ain't surplus, but it's almost the same thing-
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/2811419614.html

Also, check some of the Jeep dedicated forums

MistWolf
01-30-12, 01:40
Unintended Discharge

LowSpeed_HighDrag
01-30-12, 02:01
Ive been big into Jeeps my whole life, and recently just sold my 06 TJ that I had beat all to hell. They are handy for plains work, especially if you are going to be utilizing wide trails and roads. But, they can not beat the versatility of a good ATV or SXS. An ATV can fit into so many places than a Jeep just cant, and they are much better at handling rocky and wooded areas.

When you start trying to use the old Willys as a pure utility vehicle, I think you will be very disappointed IMO. They doont have the clearance, low end torque, articulation, or modern ammenities that a YJ, TJ, or JK has.

If I had to maintain a wooded or rocky property, I would use my ATV. If I had to maintain a flatter terrain, I would use my SXS. If I had only prarie property with roads built, I would skip the jeep and use my Ram.

But thats just me.

The_War_Wagon
01-30-12, 05:00
Depending on the size of your spread, a good ol' CJ-5 or CJ-7 with a 304 would be an optimum way to get around. Less 'fragile' & lower maintenance than the TJ/YJ series. You could always add an aftermarket throttlebody for convenience and a slight boost in gas mileage, too. :D

Hmac
01-30-12, 07:57
My first car was a CJ-2A. 1945 Willys. What a blast! I abused it mercilessly. Broke rear axles twice, finally retired it when that old flathead 4 broke a piston ring and scored the wall. About 8 years ago, I picked up an old CJ-5 trying to recapture my youth. Didnt work
. Bottom line IMHO, today I'd get the Honda Rancher, especially if I had a ranch.

Dirk Williams
01-30-12, 09:37
My partner who Ive mentioned here builds these WWII jeeps as a hobby. He just finished one and it's for sale to include an origional re-done trailer.

Origional markings, replica Ma Duc in the bed and over the steering wheel Thompson replica. Your looking at 25.000 to 35.000 bucks. These are done right with everything rebuilt. He's got two sitting there one's done ones still in process. He also has a couple of the early command cars he's working on.

We were going to join a trp from Canada to Fairbanks this summer but that's kinda fizzled as the command cars are not done yet.

If your interested I'll provide his name and number.

Dirk

montanadave
01-30-12, 10:36
My jeep fantasy is looking more and more like a pipe dream as it seems a vehicle of the vintage I have such fond memories of AND in sound working condition (not restored, just mechanically sound and running) is going to cost more than I can afford to spend.

Buying a lightly used Honda Rancher is looking like the more cost-effective choice.

On the plus side, the buddy I mentioned in the OP did say he had an old jeep he was trying to restore so maybe I'll still get to take a spin when he gets his up and running.

Eurodriver
01-30-12, 10:38
Buy a late 90s TJ and spraypaint it OD green.

Dienekes
01-30-12, 10:58
Probably not a viable plan. Admittedly some of the bigger ATVs not only have a high price tag but sizewise aren't all that much smaller than my '72 CJ-5.

I've owned a '49 and a '63 Jeep station wagon (flathead 4 banger and an OHV 230 straight 6) plus a variety of other old school 4x4s, and have the scars to prove it. I bought my '72 in '85 and about 6 months later it got t-boned. Found a replacement frame and rebuilt it from the ground up. It was NOT cost-effective, but I was so ticked off I spent the money and 8 years totally restoring it. It is the best of breed in many ways, with modern (Saginaw) steering, good axles, electric wipers, positraction and a good torquey straight 6. And a heater that is about like a mouse breathing on your foot. That said, it is best considered a toy. I like it, and all kids like it, and in the summer with the doors off it's lots of fun. It's also almost unstoppable in the snow. Mine is 98% stock--most you will find will be thrashed, have been messed over, and have rust problems. I wouldn't touch them with a stick.

For my money, though, it can't begin to compare with the '87 Toyota pickup I got from a friend with 34K miles on it in 2000. The Toyota is pretty well unbreakable, always runs, and goes everywhere. If I had been smart I would have bought a '72 Land Cruiser new for $2700 back in the day.

As for an ATV, I picked up a 2002 2WD Honda Recon back around 2005 for $2400 that does everything I need out here in Wyoming. My son just got a similar Kawasaki 2500 2WD for $1000 that will serve the same purpose.

Eurodriver
01-30-12, 14:09
For my money, though, it can't begin to compare with the '87 Toyota pickup I got from a friend with 34K miles on it in 2000. The Toyota is pretty well unbreakable, always runs, and goes everywhere. If I had been smart I would have bought a '72 Land Cruiser new for $2700 back in the day.

Does that have a solid front axle?

Dienekes
01-30-12, 14:34
The '87 is torsion bar suspension and IFS in front; excellent ride for a 4x4. The '72 LC was big leafs and big solid axle.

ST911
01-30-12, 16:29
Jeeps and ATVs are great. Understand the benefits and limitations of both, however. I can take a Wrangler lots of places. I can take an ATV a lot more places, but with less cargo, gas, people, and options.

$7500 can get you a solid used Wrangler or a nicely equipped new ATV. Shop smart. An old GI surplus Jeep in that price range will be a hull that you need to restore. The tubs alone are spendy. It will also not perform at the limits a newer Jeep will. Most folks buying/restoring the Willys aren't doing it for off road or rec use.

montanadave
01-30-12, 19:58
I was talkin' to my brother and he told me about a fellow over in Jackson Hole who does some nice vehicle restorations.

What do you guys think about a Dodge Power Wagon?

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/3511/legacypowerwagongreen.jpg

Unfortunately, I think I might need to rethink that $7500 figure. :haha:

ThirdWatcher
01-30-12, 20:48
What do you guys think about a Dodge Power Wagon?

Absolutely love it!

Dienekes
01-30-12, 20:57
Nice old Dodge. I went to an auto show in CHI in 1965; apparently Dodge was still making them at that late date. Not sure if they were still using a flathead six in them then, or if the restored one shown has that (or preferably something OHV).

My '69 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 that I only recently gave away (hopefully for restoration) was essentially an updated version of that with a 1 ton front axle, 300 ci six, PTO winch and narrow box. Within the first few days of owning it I used the winch to pull a D4 cat back upright; later took it over Black Bear in CO, and drove the Dempster Road above the Arctic Circle and to the shores of the Bering Sea. Hell, I even used it to chase a bad guy down in a plowed field. Best damn truck ever built IMHO. Basic and bulletproof. They don't build 'em like that anymore.

The_War_Wagon
01-30-12, 21:51
Unfortunately, I think I might need to rethink that $7500 figure. :haha:

That'll cover your gas costs - every 3 mos.! :jester:

skyugo
01-31-12, 02:01
could consider a suzuki samurai... it's about the same size as an old WWII jeep. Solid axles front and rear, parts are cheap, aftermarket is plentiful. Pretty solid little offroaders, they're total garbage on the expressway obviously. (50 something hp)

Dirk Williams
02-10-12, 16:35
Montana Dave, if your still looking for a reall WW -II jeep the fella I mentioned has one of his for sale on ebay with an origional trailer. I was wrong on the price, it's in the 15k area not 25k area.

If your still looking perhaps have a look.

Dirk

montanadave
02-10-12, 19:48
Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look although the price is still out of my budget. My original post was somewhat of an exploratory inquiry as to whether one of these old jeeps could fulfill the utilitarian role I had in mind and, second, could I find one in my designated price range.

Based on the majority of responses, the answers appear to be "perhaps, but not as well as an ATV and you'd better be pretty handy with a wrench" and "no."