PDA

View Full Version : Vltor Gas block

jbsmwd
01-30-12, 17:49
Vltor Gas block is it suppose to right up against the shoulder or about1/16'' away from the shoulder? Had local gunsmith install it and he put it up against the shoulder and I am thinking that it is wrong. I have not tested it yet. Hopefully in few day's I can make it to the range.

rushca01
01-30-12, 18:00
Your gun will more than likely short stroke as the gas block is not completely covering the gas hole. There should be a sma gap between the block and the "ledge".

militarymoron
01-30-12, 18:07
it's designed to accommodate the front handguard cap between the gas block and the shoulder, but depending on your port size, you might be okay. the hole in the gas block is larger than the port, so even if it's not centered on the port, it might be okay as long as the port is not partially covered. test it and let us know if it works.

An Undocumented Worker
01-30-12, 22:04
You could also try calling Vltor and asking them about it, they are definately a customer friendly company and would probably tell you way more than you think you wanted to know about that gas block.

Col_Crocs
01-30-12, 22:38
I did in the past (email Vltor) and was recommended that I leave a gap about the thickness of a finger nail, IIRC.
That said, I measured the gas block's port and its location in reference to the barrel's port and from the numbers I got, setting it against the barrel's shoulder appeared feasible. Not perfectly centered but it will clear it.
You might want to do as they suggest to be safe though. It's not difficult to leave that gap. An easy way to do it is to put the gas block on upside down and see how the set screw slot aligns with your barrel's port... test different cards and what not until you find one that's the right thickness to perfectly align them. Mine was one of those plastic folders.

jbsmwd
01-31-12, 00:46
Ok, so the next question. How long does rockset have to sit in water to losen up?

Col_Crocs
01-31-12, 04:13
In your case, since it's already on, try running it first. You may not need to nudge it forward for the gap.

Hmac
01-31-12, 05:26
Ok, so the next question. How long does rockset have to sit in water to losen up?

You mean you didn't pin it? Is the barrel at least dimpled? If either of the above, how are you going to move it?

I spoke with VLTOR before Ranier pinned my VLTOR, they said it didn't matter because the hole in the gas block is oversize.

bp7178
01-31-12, 10:54
If you want to see where your gas block would sit to have the hole perfectly centered, should that be a concern, install it upside down and note how it sits on the barrel.

The screw hole to the rear of the gas block aligns perfectly with the gas port of the block, and you can look and see how the gas port aligns with it....with the screw removed of course.

If Rocksett hasnt been subjected to any heat cycles, it's actually pretty easy to remove, only requiring about the same torque as blue locktite.

Jaysop
01-31-12, 11:04
it's designed to accommodate the front handguard cap between the gas block and the shoulder, but depending on your port size, you might be okay. the hole in the gas block is larger than the port, so even if it's not centered on the port, it might be okay as long as the port is not partially covered. test it and let us know if it works.

Mines flush, no gap. But then again I did just have someone instal a new rail and haven't tested yet.

jbsmwd
01-31-12, 13:33
You mean you didn't pin it? Is the barrel at least dimpled? If either of the above, how are you going to move it?

I spoke with VLTOR before Ranier pinned my VLTOR, they said it didn't matter because the hole in the gas block is oversize.

I have not pinned it yet. Wanted to test function first before having something more permenatly installed first, verse having it slightly dimpled.

Going to give Vltor a call about this and find out what is going on with this vaporware VS-1 suppressor.