PDA

View Full Version : "Naked" rails

JoeSixPack
01-30-12, 18:15
Some rail panels (Knight's, etc) can add a good bit of weight.

Just curious how many here don't use any rail panels or ergo ladders at all? Just bare rails.

I've seen some pics of troops overseas that appear to be running bare rails. Granted, most of them are also wearing gloves.

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/new_1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ldGBlSlXqLA/TVBNIQOHuHI/AAAAAAAAAWU/c5V2keDu-z4/s1600/m4carbine_sopmod_700_02.jpg

jonconsiglio
01-30-12, 18:43
Most of them, even with gloves, don't appear to be contacting the rail as much as the vert grip or mag well.

My RIS II's are getting hot with ladder covers if I don't wear gloves, so I've started using stippled LaRue index clips in front of the vert grip for now.

I used to use KAC panels on my KAC rails.

Jaysop
01-30-12, 18:53
I think the reasoning behind bare rails is just that they don't have rail covers. I never had any. Never really cared because, well lets be honest... I didn't pay for the rails. Shitty attitude I know.

I really don't think it has to to with weight. And ive never noticed those rails getting all that hot. I do always wear gloves though.

GeorgiaBoy
01-30-12, 18:58
Bare rails give a better grip and "bite" into my hand better, so I don't use covers.

Todd00000
01-30-12, 19:14
Ounces do turn into pounds. I had a KAC on the left side of my M4 and one of these http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2BH71RC00OD-1.html on the bottom where the top of my thumb would rest against it when using the vertical grip.

trinydex
01-30-12, 19:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IEOtvupVnE

i believe this is jason falla rockin' some nudie rails.

sgtjosh
01-30-12, 19:52
LaRue Tactical index clips ROCK! They are light. They don't add a lot of girth to the rail. They still will mount in my vehicles rack. I really dig them combined with the LaRue handstop.

Guns-up.50
01-30-12, 20:02
When I was in the Marines 04 to 08 we had rail covers on our A4s but we all lost them within the first week. The naked rail does add grip plus a good index point if you dont run forward grips (me).

shua713
01-30-12, 20:50
I had bare rails for a little while, but I would rather have rail covers, as I do not wear gloves very often.

jonconsiglio
01-30-12, 20:57

His have rail covers. Black near the light and FDE on the top, left and bottom.

samuse
01-30-12, 21:10

I hate rail covers. I'm not even tough and they've never bothered me without covers.

Here's a pic of Jason Falla and nudie rails... But the rails are mine.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/AR-Colt/TMI_3610ZF-8746-55185-1-006.jpg

trinydex
01-30-12, 21:48
His have rail covers. Black near the light and FDE on the top, left and bottom.

I couldnt tell, but now that i search the images he does have ladders.

ZoneOne
01-30-12, 21:53
It's because in the Military most armorers won't spend their time continuing to put rail covers on weapons. They fall off, get lost, stolen, etc. They come back into the arms room "nude" as others have put it and that's how they come back out.

Kind of pointless to keep ordering rail panels when no one really needs them. Anyone who wants them can get them and those are the same type of people that usually have their own.

obucina
01-30-12, 22:20
My gun gets dragged out to the range and eventually a class this summer....I have the ladder covers that came with my Omega X rail and a canister of Larue clips.

nml
01-30-12, 22:39
Those guys are also running trijicon eye relief ;)

Like jon mentioned, a lot of dudes don't ever touch their rail and car rail + fsb = not a lot of rail anyways. Re ladders ... I feel they were made to protect the rail while it was shipped from the factory, after that idk...

TehLlama
01-31-12, 00:28
I threw on at most two panels, and used the GripPod as a VFG - most recently I ran a total of 24 LT IC's with a handstop - that setup is unreal good for Table II and Table III stuff - I was shooting 99's from both sides easily and still finishing each string first.

Javelin
01-31-12, 01:10
I don't care for covers either. But all my rifles have Magpul Ladder Rail covers to keep them from getting scratched & dinged up for no good reason. And I sort of like the feel of the ladder covers when I am wearing gloves.

But it's personal preference and I like a tango down grip on most of my ARs... though I am beginning to switch back to going without so maybe I will add my KAC rail covers again later on who knows. It really doesn't matter. Six in one hand half a dozen in the other I always say.

trinydex
01-31-12, 01:24
aren't they getting dinged and scratched for a really good reason? you're using the gun :D

JSantoro
01-31-12, 09:47
Forget heat or grip for a moment. There's any number of solutions for both....

If it's a T/O weapon, the person it's assigned to has a certain level of obligation to make sure that the rail slots aren't getting damaged while diddy-bopping around certain rock-laden garden spots. That, and urban environments can do a real number on those things. It's not about cosmetics, except to those of the "symbolism > substance" crowd. There's ancillary equipment that attaches to that stuff, a lot of which requires that the rails be in spec for them to do their job or simply stay on the gun.

Yeah, rail-cover sections are easy to lose. They're also considered a consumable, unless something has radically changed, and relatively easy to replace.

Private owners...? Grown-ass man does what he wants to do, simple as that.

markm
01-31-12, 10:32
Some rail panels (Knight's, etc) can add a good bit of weight.

They're heavy for sure!!! Sometimes I leave my gun home and just go to the range with the Rail covers only!!! :rolleyes:

warpigM-4
01-31-12, 12:41
They're heavy for sure!!! Sometimes I leave my gun home and just go to the range with the Rail covers only!!! :rolleyes:

:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

SHIVAN
01-31-12, 13:08
Private owners...? Grown-ass man does what he wants to do, simple as that.

^^^Words to live by....^^^

I have the KAC panels, and don't think much about them. I don't always wear gloves, and when you forget, and do an extended firing session, it sorts itself out pretty quickly. :cray:

caelumatra
01-31-12, 13:09
Since you're referencing overseas units not using rail covers:

They fall off CONSTANTLY!
Those compression clip things are worn out WAY more often than not. So, I took mine off for my second deployment. Not everyone did. But they ****ed with them the whole 7 months. And when you do eventually lose them, prepare for a beratement from the armorer.
Easiest solution is to take them off, put them in your pack for a deployment then turn them all back in in a zip lock with your rifle lol

And the ones on the top can only come off if you take your ACOG off...but they will still slide around to no end :mad: