PDA

View Full Version : Carbine length gas system mated to a A2 lower with rifle buffer and spring lower?

PA PATRIOT
01-30-12, 20:26
Was at the range to night and on the rack was a used AR which appeared to have a M-4 profile 14.5" barrel with a pinned Phantom flash hider and a carbine length gas system which was mated to a standard A2 style fixed stock lower with a rifle buffer and spring.

It looked strange but the counter person stated it ran like a top.

Would this system work and if so what benefit if any would this combo offer?

blasternank
01-30-12, 20:57
From what I've read from several posts you mate your buffer with your stock and since you have an A2 stock and buffer tube you'd use a rifle length buffer.

I could be wrong but I've read that on quite a few different posts.

Clint
01-30-12, 21:11
It most likely does run like a top.

The rifle buffer is the most reliable setup available.

Higher mass and lower spring force makes for nice slow cycling.

az doug
01-30-12, 21:54
Many companies built guns in a similar configuration during the "Assault Weapons Ban." Although I did not like the configuration the guns worked fine. I also know of many officers that prefer A-1 stocks on their 10.5 to 16 inch guns with carbine length gas systems. Their guns work fine. The A-1 stock uses the same receiver extension and buffer tube as the A-2.

Col_Crocs
01-30-12, 22:58
Was at the range to night and on the rack was a used AR which appeared to have a M-4 profile 14.5" barrel with a pinned Phantom flash hider and a carbine length gas system which was mated to a standard A2 style fixed stock lower with a rifle buffer and spring.

It looked strange but the counter person stated it ran like a top.

Im sure it does... That's essentially what the Vltor A5 is, which many of us are using on CAR and Middy weapons.

markm
01-31-12, 10:39

It'll work better than a carbine buffer and spring.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson101.jpg

Shiz
01-31-12, 11:44
Arguably the best dude.

Although I hear the A5 is even better. Looking forward to trying it.

markm
01-31-12, 13:19
Although I hear the A5 is even better. Looking forward to trying it.

It feels the same as a rifle to me.... not really BETTER. But you pick up a sliding stock and keep the longer buffer action.

rackham1
01-31-12, 13:35
What about the reverse... rifle length upper on a carbine buffer/spring lower?

markm
01-31-12, 13:51

Can work... but is the reason for the USMC wanting the A5 set up... to keep the rifle buffer characteristics with a slider stock.

rackham1
01-31-12, 14:37
Can work... but is the reason for the USMC wanting the A5 set up... to keep the rifle buffer characteristics with a slider stock.

My dad shoots a rifle upper on a carbine lower but he's old and cranky and will never spring the $$$ for an A5. He's got several thousand rounds through it and only one misfeed (a bad case) but doesn't run it very hard. I worry the combo is a reliability risk for HD but don't have enough experience to know why.

ChocLab
01-31-12, 15:09

BringMeTheHorizon
02-02-12, 13:27
Pretty much what everyone else said, it runs perfectly and the extra weight in the back balances it out pretty nicely.

1200 rounds since her last real cleaning and she hasn't skipped a beat.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af268/dail621/2012-01-31_11-50-25_HDR.jpg

Kokopelli
05-02-12, 14:31
Search finally answered my question.. and it only took most of the day reading.. 8) Ron

PS: The question was "will my BCM 16" mid-length upper run on my Colt MT6700 rifle lower.. as is".. WHOOHOO.. It should arrive tomorrow..

ra2bach
05-03-12, 10:07
I find myself irrationally attracted to the look of markm's A2 SBR...

mallowpufft
05-03-12, 10:14

My varmint gun is a 20" rifle gas with a carbine buffer and extension. I don't run it hard but it has yet to have a malfunction that wasn't caused by my not seating the mag properly.
Shoots mighty soft. At 125 yards on 5x magnification I can see the impact.
I plan to add the A5 system one of these days but I'm a frugal bastard and it hasn't broken yet.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

bsmith_shoot
05-03-12, 10:34
Thats absolutely beautiful my friend.

peabody
08-13-13, 20:42

i know ..i know ..old thread... but dang !! that is a right smart lookin carbine !

Semper Paratus
08-13-13, 21:02
My working carbine is a 16" upper w/ carbine length gas an A2 butt stock with a a rifle buffer. Works great for my diminutive 5'16" 110 ......Kgs that is frame. A few thousand rounds and the only stoppages has been patently bad ammo.

MistWolf
08-14-13, 00:28

The combination works fine
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Build/DSC_0015.jpg