PDA

View Full Version : Help IDing 12g round.

TACAV
01-30-12, 21:15
Can anyone help ID this round? Manufacturer and type?

It's a 2 3/4" 12g round. The yellow part is hard plastic.

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/TACAV/S2-1.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/TACAV/S1-1.jpg

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr105/TACAV/S3-1.jpg

ST911
01-30-12, 22:39
LTL munition of some sort. No markings?

turducken
01-30-12, 22:50
If your not concerned with destroying it, you could always just cut it open and see what type of load is inside. If you do and its something interesting snap some pics please.

TACAV
01-31-12, 00:11
LTL munition of some sort. No markings?

What you see is what you get lol, thats what I thought too. Some sort of baton round maybe.

and Turducken if no one can figure it out I might just do that.

TACAV
01-31-12, 12:14
Thanks to some help we got it figured out. It is a Polyshock hybrid slug.

It is not a less than lethal round. It was designed for police SWAT to have a non over penetrating slug for use inside houses etc.

http://www.defensereview.com/polyshok-impact-reactive-projectile-for-military-specops-and-le-swat/

The company brought this out in 2005 and it is no longer in business.

FredBart
02-10-12, 16:08
Throughout the world, the convention has been to use the yellow color casing only for 20 gauge rounds. I don't know exactly when this convention started, but it pretty universal. It is all too easy to drop a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge double gun, with explosive results when a 12 gauge round is placed in the barrel next.

No surprise this company is out of business.

BKS
02-11-12, 10:13
Those dont work too well in a choked barrel. just my .02

DMR
02-11-12, 11:11
I think marketing decicions, more then color lead to Polyshock folding. They chose to only market to the LE/Mil. Doing sustainable ammo Bussniess with DOD is very hard, especially if you have something new. Doing work specific to 12ga ammo forget it.

On the LE side they had a few agencies which used their ammo. Some seemed satisfied with the ammo. BUT, several testers like our resident expert give the ammo mixEd, to poor reviews.

In the end they couldn't get enough market share to make it. If they had gone to the civilian market also they may have survived.

ST911
02-11-12, 11:14
Throughout the world, the convention has been to use the yellow color casing only for 20 gauge rounds. I don't know exactly when this convention started, but it pretty universal. It is all too easy to drop a 20 gauge shell into a 12 gauge double gun, with explosive results when a 12 gauge round is placed in the barrel next. No surprise this company is out of business.

Color has become less and less meaningful in the last decade. Especially in the specialty munitions, if it ever meant anything there.

kmrtnsn
02-11-12, 11:50
Color has become less and less meaningful in the last decade. Especially in the specialty munitions, if it ever meant anything there.

Yes, and it drives me nuts. It used to be our slugs were red, our buck was green. Now we are getting red hulled buckshot, along with red hulled slugs, and grey hulled slugs. At one point we even had black hulled buckshot and something in blue but I can't remember if that was buck or slug.

It is bad enough for a guy to mix it up on the square range but my worry is for the guys in the field. Since the hodge-podge coloring of shotgun ammo became an issue my mantra on the range has been "feel it before you load it!", as in run your finger over the tip to feel for either the tell-tale bump of a slug or the crimp ridges of buckshot.

ST911
02-11-12, 14:14
Yes, and it drives me nuts. It used to be our slugs were red, our buck was green. Now we are getting red hulled buckshot, along with red hulled slugs, and grey hulled slugs. At one point we even had black hulled buckshot and something in blue but I can't remember if that was buck or slug.

It is bad enough for a guy to mix it up on the square range but my worry is for the guys in the field. Since the hodge-podge coloring of shotgun ammo became an issue my mantra on the range has been "feel it before you load it!", as in run your finger over the tip to feel for either the tell-tale bump of a slug or the crimp ridges of buckshot.

I remember when the Federal LE slugs started coming with clear hulls, and the conflict it created with the specialty rounds that were also coming the same way. Federal was sympathetic, but wasn't going to change as the other guys were beyond their control. Folks using transitional LTL shotguns noticed it most. Especially under trunk lids on night shift. There were mishaps.

Curiously, when Federal launched their own line of LTL, they used clear hulls in their SSS (skirt stabilized sack) round. Other rounds too, IIRC. They figured it out quick, and the blue hulled LE slugs followed.

Buying from a single manufacturer and a single line helpds. I've lost track of what Winchester and Remington are doing, but Federal seems to have figured it out.

No matter what, check, recheck, and check again. With a buddy.

kmrtnsn
02-11-12, 19:43
I remember when the Federal LE slugs started coming with clear hulls, and the conflict it created with the specialty rounds that were also coming the same way. Federal was sympathetic, but wasn't going to change as the other guys were beyond their control. Folks using transitional LTL shotguns noticed it most. Especially under trunk lids on night shift. There were mishaps.

Curiously, when Federal launched their own line of LTL, they used clear hulls in their SSS (skirt stabilized sack) round. Other rounds too, IIRC. They figured it out quick, and the blue hulled LE slugs followed.

Buying from a single manufacturer and a single line helpds. I've lost track of what Winchester and Remington are doing, but Federal seems to have figured it out.

No matter what, check, recheck, and check again. With a buddy.

Unfortunately, we are way to far down the purchase chain to have any influence.

cmoore
02-12-12, 00:40
Looks like a standard beanbag round. The cardboard end is a give-away. Strange with no ID marks...