PDA

View Full Version : the best surefire earpro variant?

kenndapp
01-30-12, 22:24
And by best I mean maximum hearing protection with a mix of being able to communicate with a buddy. I'm looking at an ep3 ep4 and ep6. Google didn't help me at all. I can't. Find a real answer on the differences between theese ear pros other than ep3 uses one less flange than ep4. Which makes ep4 the winner. So what's the difference between ep4 and ep6. Which ear pro do you prefure and why? Help me out. Thanks.

oef24
01-30-12, 23:26
I have never tried the ep6 but I have tried the ep3 and ep4 iin size L. I prefer the ep3 over the ep4 because I feel that the ep4's extra flange goes way deep into the ear canal and is not as comfortable for me. I did not notice any dB reduction between the ep3 & ep4. I just don't like the extra length of the ep4 flange. I hope this helps.

O

kenndapp
01-30-12, 23:29
I have never tried the ep6 but I have tried the ep3 and ep4 iin size L. I prefer the ep3 over the ep4 because I feel that the ep4's extra flange goes way deep into the ear canal and is not as comfortable for me. I did not notice any dB reduction between the ep3 & ep4. I just don't like the extra length of the ep4 flange. I hope this helps.

O

I have heard this before durring my google search. Thank you for your response. Any one else? ep4 vs ep6?

Mak8080
01-31-12, 12:05
I like the EP3's for that same reason. Been using both variants for a few years and the EP4's seem to "tickle" my ear canal and they don't feel comfortable. I've run them with stoppers in and out and truthfully, can't tell the difference. Indoors...I run plugs and muffs. Outdoors...I can run just the Surefires and feel comfortable.

calicojack
01-31-12, 13:33
i've shot .223, 7.62x39 and 30.06 with nothing but my ep3s in and had no hearing loss, ringing in the ears, nothing.

kenndapp
01-31-12, 13:52
i count 2 votes for ep3 over ep4 or ep6.

kaltesherz
01-31-12, 13:59
I just used EP4s under my Sordins last night for the first time and thought they were more effective than the EP3s I normally wear. Just an FYI I'm EXTREMELY sensitive to loud noises these days due to a bad case of tenitus, so I always double up.

sammage
01-31-12, 16:10
The EP4s tend to be easier to get a good seal on than the EP3s. Both work well, just the EP4 works better for me. They're both really cheap, so try em out.

ap1220
01-31-12, 17:41
I like and use Ep3's but haven't tried the others.

Suwannee Tim
01-31-12, 20:59
I think this is the same thing but not Surefire. Notice the little plugs you can insert for protection or pull to talk. I hate having to remove my plugs so I can hear someone. I tell them to yell at me but they don't want to. Maybe this is the solution.

Midway SportEar plugs (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/839625/sportear-sport-plugz-xp3-medium-ear-plugs-nrr-19db-black)

ggp2jz
01-31-12, 21:01
i've shot .223, 7.62x39 and 30.06 with nothing but my ep3s in and had no hearing loss, ringing in the ears, nothing.

Same thing here

rathos
02-01-12, 02:43
used them all and I saw no difference between any of them. I have stuck with the EP3 as I can always find them and they are always the cheapest. If there was a difference in noise reduction I would consider the others, but I can't tell a difference. As others have said the EP3 was also the most comfortable.

madmike3668
02-02-12, 00:05
I have ep3 and 4's and don't notice any sound differences but as others have said, the ep3's seem more comfortable. I think it depends on the shape of your ear canal. Try them both.

t1tan
02-02-12, 00:23
You can't base a choice of one or the other on what somebody else uses. It all depends on your personal anatomy.

voiceofreason
02-02-12, 07:18
Midway SportEar plugs (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/839625/sportear-sport-plugz-xp3-medium-ear-plugs-nrr-19db-black)

Did the chinese manufacturing company that Surefire bought these from/hired decided to "branch out"?

Trajan
02-02-12, 09:18
I have only used the EP4s, but they seemed to work well. One problem I noticed with them is that if I clenched my jaw muscle, the left one would start to pop out.

sammage
02-02-12, 10:55
I have only used the EP4s, but they seemed to work well. One problem I noticed with them is that if I clenched my jaw muscle, the left one would start to pop out.

So no more beef jerky at the range? ;) Can't say I have had it happen to me.

Trajan
02-03-12, 12:06
So no more beef jerky at the range? ;) Can't say I have had it happen to me.
:D
No, it happens mostly when I swallow excess saliva or take a drink of water.

eleven
01-15-14, 02:20

El Vaquero
01-15-14, 17:09
Bringing this one back, I am currently using the EP3 in size medium. I have used the measuring chart, but I think I may fall in between sizes. The medium seals up fine, but is sometimes uncomfortable. Is the flange(part that goes in ear canal) on the small as long and as wide as the medium?

It's pretty common to have different size ear canals. I'm in the same boat. One ear is a medium the other a large. Kinda sucks.

Bluto
01-15-14, 18:25
Wow... What a resurrection!

I remember reading this thread trying to figure out which surefire earphones to use. I tried both and eventually ended up with a custom made pair. I did it through a hearing aid store. They cost $150, which isn't too bad if you figure on going through a few sets a year. They are also a perfect fit with no guess work.