PDA

View Full Version : Best heat shielding for hot water pipes?

a0cake
01-31-12, 14:56
I've got this pipe in my place that carries hot water. It's about 5'' OD and runs from floor to ceiling in my bathroom. It gets literally too hot to touch, and raises the temperature of the entire apartment to uncomfortable levels. Pretty ridiculous.

Is there a relatively cheap / simple way of keeping heat from radiating from the pipe? What would be the best thing to wrap it with?

Thanks.

ICANHITHIMMAN
01-31-12, 15:35
Sure just go to lowes or home depot they will hook you up. I would get something with a paper backing. Its not expensive it will keep the heat in the pipe. I did my whole house with it, also its not expensive.

sjc3081
01-31-12, 16:22
Just make sure the insulation is has QD mounts. Im sure you like the hot bathroom in the winter.

ryr8828
01-31-12, 19:10
This is what I do for a living, and if you were close I'd hook you up. You need to verify the size of the pipe. You say it's around 5" od, I'm guessing it's a 4" pipe. a 4" steel pipe will measure 4.5 inches.

If it's a 4" pipe this is what you need.
http://expressinsulation.com/pro470698.html

It comes in 3 ft. lengths and you cut it with a butcher knife. I can't vouch for this company in the link, I got it through a google search. You might be able to find some local by looking for a pipe insulation contractor or pipe insulation supplier.

You'll want to put a coat of paint on it since it's in the bathroom so it will shed any water that gets on the jacket.

Any questions you can pm me and I'll try to help.

ryr8828
02-01-12, 04:04
To make sure you get the right measurement you can stretch a tape around the circumference of the pipe and divide by pi. I got to thinking and it's possible that if you have exposed heat/steam pipes in your apt. it's old enough to have a 5 inch pipe in it. 5 inch isn't very common these days.

4 inch iron pipe has a diameter of 4 1/2 inches and a circumference of 14 1/8 inches.

5 inch iron pipe has a diameter of 5 5/8 inches and a circumference of 17 1/2 inches.

a0cake
02-04-12, 20:09
Thanks much. My estimate was way off (I didn't think it would matter). I got 3.25'' multiple times using string and dividing by Pi. I'll look at the product you linked to for 3'' pipes. Thanks again.

To make sure you get the right measurement you can stretch a tape around the circumference of the pipe and divide by pi. I got to thinking and it's possible that if you have exposed heat/steam pipes in your apt. it's old enough to have a 5 inch pipe in it. 5 inch isn't very common these days.

4 inch iron pipe has a diameter of 4 1/2 inches and a circumference of 14 1/8 inches.

5 inch iron pipe has a diameter of 5 5/8 inches and a circumference of 17 1/2 inches.

This is what I do for a living, and if you were close I'd hook you up. You need to verify the size of the pipe. You say it's around 5" od, I'm guessing it's a 4" pipe. a 4" steel pipe will measure 4.5 inches.

If it's a 4" pipe this is what you need.
http://expressinsulation.com/pro470698.html

It comes in 3 ft. lengths and you cut it with a butcher knife. I can't vouch for this company in the link, I got it through a google search. You might be able to find some local by looking for a pipe insulation contractor or pipe insulation supplier.

You'll want to put a coat of paint on it since it's in the bathroom so it will shed any water that gets on the jacket.

Any questions you can pm me and I'll try to help.