PDA

View Full Version : Got a deal on a pre lock 629 mountain gun.

Alaskapopo
01-31-12, 21:55
Well at least I think its a good deal.
$500
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Revolvers/Smith629.jpg

We have got a ton of snow this year and the range road was drifted over so still was not able to go shooting with it.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Scenic%20shots/Snowlevelthisyearonbackdeck.jpg

My window looking outside after roof was shoveled.
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/Scenic%20shots/Lookingoutmywindowaftermyroomwasshoveled.jpg

Buckaroo
02-01-12, 11:23
Have I ever mentioned how much I hate you? Well you can double down on that now! :envy:

5pins
02-01-12, 11:49
Sounds like a good deal to me. I wouldn’t sell you mine for $500.

Amp Mangum
02-01-12, 12:47
Nice score!

glocktogo
02-01-12, 12:54
Sounds like a good deal to me. I wouldn’t sell you mine for $500.

Me neither, even though I got mine for $389 + tax. But that was way back in 1996! :D

RyanB
02-01-12, 15:06
I bought one for $467 otd a while back. Traded it to a buddy. Two days ago he sold it online in 25 minutes for $825. I think you did ok.

I'm holding out for a 5" full underlug model.

Littlelebowski
02-01-12, 15:10
I need to get an LEO job in Alaska so that I can afford all of those toys AKpopo has. Nice find.

SWATcop556
02-01-12, 15:44
I need to get an LEO job in Alaska so that I can afford all of those toys AKpopo has. Nice find.

Agreed because my LEO job here in TX doesn't cut it. Of course my wife and two year old daughter take 95% of my liquid income. :thank_you2:

Nice piece!

Alaskapopo
02-01-12, 15:54
Agreed because my LEO job here in TX doesn't cut it. Of course my wife and two year old daughter take 95% of my liquid income. :thank_you2:

Nice piece!
Texas is a great state. I am thinking of retiring there or Arizona.
Pat

SWATcop556
02-01-12, 15:58
Pat

Either would be good. I happen to live in Texas but visit AZ as much as possible. I may retire out there but that is in the far future for me.

glocktogo
02-01-12, 16:07
Pat

No state income tax or grocery tax in Texas. Property taxes are a bitch, but if you live modestly, it's a good option!

Alaskapopo
02-01-12, 18:01
I want a gun friendly state with lots of three gun matches and both seem to fit that bill. It would weird having a state income tax. We don't have any state taxes up here.
Pat

samuse
02-01-12, 21:00
Holy crap.

I have no idea how people deal with all that frozen-ness up there. Man we freek out down here if we find a little icicle on a cold morning every few years.

Nice mountain gun. I'd've snagged that baby too...

blasternank
02-01-12, 23:26
Nice find! I'm looking for a 44 mag myself. I am just debating between a 4"-6" models.

Alaskapopo
02-02-12, 01:38
Nice find! I'm looking for a 44 mag myself. I am just debating between a 4"-6" models.

What is your intended use for it. For carry I much prefer the 4 inch. However if you're hunting with it the 6 inch model or the 5 inch Classic DX would be good choices.
Pat

blasternank
02-02-12, 08:33
What is your intended use for it. For carry I much prefer the 4 inch. However if you're hunting with it the 6 inch model or the 5 inch Classic DX would be good choices.
Pat

That's my headache! I won't be using it for carry but I'd like something like it for maybe some hunting but for a sidearm when walking around in the woods but might use it a little for target shooting so maybe the 5" would be the good medium between the 2.

glocktogo
02-02-12, 11:50
That's my headache! I won't be using it for carry but I'd like something like it for maybe some hunting but for a sidearm when walking around in the woods but might use it a little for target shooting so maybe the 5" would be the good medium between the 2.

4" or 5". You'd tire of the 6" pretty quickly. The 4" MG with a good trigger job would still be an excellent hunting gun at bow ranges, so long as you practice. It's definitely a heck of a lot more pleasurable to carry!

bigghoss
02-02-12, 15:46
That's a score. I paid more for a 5" 629 classic a year or more ago with a lock.

As for barrel length, I remember looking at ballistics by the inch and their data showed a significant increase in velocity from 4 to 5 inches but a very modest increase from 5 to 6 inches and small increases for every inch after. My internet is sketchy right now so I can't pull it up but that's what I recall. It seems 5" barrels are about perfect for the .44 magnum. Holsters aren't as common for them though and it kinda defeats the purpose of getting the 5" over the 6" if you have to get a 6" holster.

Alaskapopo
02-02-12, 15:54
That's a score. I paid more for a 5" 629 classic a year or more ago with a lock.

As for barrel length, I remember looking at ballistics by the inch and their data showed a significant increase in velocity from 4 to 5 inches but a very modest increase from 5 to 6 inches and small increases for every inch after. My internet is sketchy right now so I can't pull it up but that's what I recall. It seems 5" barrels are about perfect for the .44 magnum. Holsters aren't as common for them though and it kinda defeats the purpose of getting the 5" over the 6" if you have to get a 6" holster.

This was two different guns but with 300 grain JHP's I got 1200 fps from a 8 inch Colt Anaconda I used to own and 1100 fps with a 4 inch Smith I used to own (non mountain gun) so in that case you gained 25 fps per inch.
Pat

ruddyhair
02-02-12, 19:11
Nice find. That's exactly what I'm looking for as well. Mind telling us where you found it? I too am looking for non-locking.
Congrats on a classic - wish they'd bring back non-locking again.

Alaskapopo
02-02-12, 19:35
Nice find. That's exactly what I'm looking for as well. Mind telling us where you found it? I too am looking for non-locking.
Congrats on a classic - wish they'd bring back non-locking again.

A trooper I know has a friend who is hard up for cash because of they are unemployeed and was selling the revolver. I offered $500 thinking that if she refused no big deal I did not need to blow more money right now and if she accepted it would be too good of a deal to pass up. They accepted the deal. I told her it was worth more and I would help her sell it if she wanted me to but she said she would rather have the $500 now vs more later.
Pat

bigghoss
02-02-12, 20:32
This was two different guns but with 300 grain JHP's I got 1200 fps from a 8 inch Colt Anaconda I used to own and 1100 fps with a 4 inch Smith I used to own (non mountain gun) so in that case you gained 25 fps per inch.
Pat

Yeah they tested from single shot barrels that they would just cut down 1" after they were through testing at that length so that will be a factor. they did a little bit of testing with actual guns but not as extensive, more just to confirm results I guess. They seemed pretty consistent with the test barrels for the small sample they used.

Jake'sDad
02-04-12, 20:36
Great deal, one can never have too many 4" .44 Smiths.

drsal
02-04-12, 21:08
Cool weapon... though I much prefer to reside in sunny Florida..the Gunshine state !