PDA

View Full Version : Recon-Style Rifle Rails

aaron_c
01-31-12, 22:35
I'm going to be doing a 'recce' style build conversion in the next few weeks. I have a midlength upper with the fixed front sight gas block. I'm still looking at the Centurion C4 Midlength Cutout, but would really like to shave the FSB and run a FF rail out over the FSB, with a flip-up front sight. I'm going with a 1-4x optic (TR24 probably).

So I've seen the Samson Evo, the Troy TRX, the VTAC...what are some other options for me here? I want something that is light weight, free floating, and accessory mountable (none of those smooth target rifle rails!). What are some other options I may not have considered here, that I could/should look into?

Leonidas24
01-31-12, 23:41
The Noveske NSR will be out sometime this spring. I've used the Samson evo on mjkeat's 14.5 middy a couple times and liked it. In fact I'm going with an 11" version for my SBR. The TRX or VTAC rails are both nice, but I appreciate the fact that I don't have to change out my barrel nut by using the Samson Evo.

btw here's some info on the NSR.

Gear Scout Article (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/18/noveske-nsr-11/)

maddawg5777
02-01-12, 00:55
The Troy MRF series does not require that you change the barrel nut. Its a sturdy two piece design, which is kinda nice if u have a pinned FSB. Down side is they are kind of heavy/bulky, but they wont kill the wallet either.

Sticks
02-01-12, 03:38
I'm going to be doing a 'recce' style build conversion in the next few weeks. I have a midlength upper with the fixed front sight gas block. I'm still looking at the Centurion C4 Midlength Cutout, but would really like to shave the FSB and run a FF rail out over the FSB, with a flip-up front sight. I'm going with a 1-4x optic (TR24 probably).

So I've seen the Samson Evo, the Troy TRX, the VTAC...what are some other options for me here? I want something that is light weight, free floating, and accessory mountable (none of those smooth target rifle rails!). What are some other options I may not have considered here, that I could/should look into?

So use the Centurion C4 12". Without the cutout.

This is a Centurion 16" CHF mid-length, 12"C4 rail, LP gasblock, Vltor MUR-A1 receiver, Troy BUIS.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IGpGHuoZmoc/TvppEg37mMI/AAAAAAAABLg/LTJIS_IyomQ/s1440/102_0628.jpg

With a 6x POSP scope.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-m0dxgl-nYQs/TvppI4iQJdI/AAAAAAAABLw/3kmu3kZ176Q/s1440/102_0629.jpg

rob_s
02-01-12, 05:30
I love the Centurion handguards, but they are not the answer to every single question.

OP, you may find this (https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/charts/free-float-rails) helpful.

TehLlama
02-01-12, 14:16
I would really recommend the VTAC Extreme rails made by TROY, and shaving the FSB down. The TR24 is an excellent, and relatively lightweight optic, and that handguard would probably go very well with it. They're pretty decent on cost.

The MI stock barrel nut mounted copycat units might be tempting, but I really do prefer the VTAC styled rails, and the overall weight and simple thin cross-section is what really draws me to the Extreme line of handguards that TROY makes.

aaron_c
02-01-12, 14:33
Will th VTAC/TRX rails allow the use of the stock barrel nut?

I would really recommend the VTAC Extreme rails made by TROY, and shaving the FSB down. The TR24 is an excellent, and relatively lightweight optic, and that handguard would probably go very well with it. They're pretty decent on cost.

The MI stock barrel nut mounted copycat units might be tempting, but I really do prefer the VTAC styled rails, and the overall weight and simple thin cross-section is what really draws me to the Extreme line of handguards that TROY makes.

IrishDevil
02-01-12, 14:37
The Alpha model uses the stock barrel nut, Troy is stopping production of the "standard" model that uses a proprietary nut.

Tzook
02-01-12, 17:44
The Noveske NSR will be out sometime this spring. I've used the Samson evo on mjkeat's 14.5 middy a couple times and liked it. In fact I'm going with an 11" version for my SBR. The TRX or VTAC rails are both nice, but I appreciate the fact that I don't have to change out my barrel nut by using the Samson Evo.

btw here's some info on the NSR.

Gear Scout Article (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/01/18/noveske-nsr-11/)

I run the Samson Evo on my 16' piston middy, and it's wonderful. Highly recommend it.

m16
02-01-12, 18:14
I'm going with the Daniel Defense Modular Float Rail on this:

After doing lots of research, and physically handling as many different handguards as possible, I have found that the DD best fits my needs for this particular rifle and the price is very attractive.

It does have a special barrel nut though, which means in your case you'd be knocking your FSB pins out.

aaron_c
02-01-12, 18:14
I run the Samson Evo on my 16' piston middy, and it's wonderful. Highly recommend it.

I've been looking at that one, too. It's not my style aesthetically, but that's lower down on my list of importance. Do they sell QD sling swivels for the Evo?

n517rv
02-01-12, 18:45
I'm working on a recce build myself. I originally planned to order a Larue stealth 16 upper, but the LT15 just seams too bulky and heavy. Rob, thanks for the link to your handguard chart... Sort of confirms my suspicions about the weight.

I like the idea of the new Noveske, but not sure I have the patience to wait and unknown amount of time. Also thought about the DD or the troy... Just not sure yet.

M16, that's a vltor mur, correct? Nice choice on the upper. What barrel did you go with? I'm looking for a SS ion bonded so my choices might be limited.

Sent from my Sprint EVO via Tapatalk

Tzook
02-01-12, 19:25
I've been looking at that one, too. It's not my style aesthetically, but that's lower down on my list of importance. Do they sell QD sling swivels for the Evo?

I think so? It definitely has holes where they'd fit. As far as aesthetics, it was something different for me to get used to, but it's nice not grabbing onto a rail every time I stick my hand out.

Cuts down on weight too, I don't know about you guys, but I never used 80% of the rail space on previous rails.

aaron_c
02-01-12, 22:12
I think so? It definitely has holes where they'd fit. As far as aesthetics, it was something different for me to get used to, but it's nice not grabbing onto a rail every time I stick my hand out.

Cuts down on weight too, I don't know about you guys, but I never used 80% of the rail space on previous rails.

Very true, all I'd mount is a bipod (sometimes) and a front sight...and perhaps a light...and IR, and NV. And maybe a foregrip. And a beer coozie.

m16
02-01-12, 23:18
Yes sir, that is a MUR receiver and the barrel is a Lilja-Nordic 1:8 twist with a Wylde chamber.

I'm just waiting on the handguard and trigger and I can finish it.

VaeVictis
02-02-12, 00:03
The KAC URX is a nice rail and it comes with a built in front sight. The proprietary barrel nut makes it less appealing but it's light and it's slim.

Evil Colt 6920
02-02-12, 01:44
DD LITE RAIL 12"... love it... rock solid... shave the FSB and good luck with those pins.

cop1211
02-02-12, 03:31
Dont forget Apex.

Tzook
02-02-12, 14:21
Very true, all I'd mount is a bipod (sometimes) and a front sight...and perhaps a light...and IR, and NV. And maybe a foregrip. And a beer coozie.

Just get you a camelback, then you can drink like 8 beers at once, and look like a hardcore, tactical son of a bitch while doing it.