PDA

View Full Version : How important is it for the sights to be completely straight?

masternave
01-31-12, 23:59
My glock front sight is off by like two degrees. If I lay a piece of paper along the sight, you can see it. If I sight down it, I can see it barely especially as I turn the gun to the right. That being said, I can still shoot quite straight, hitting a 5" circle at 20 yards 10/10. Aside from the tritium dot being slightly to the side, and the front sight appearing wider than it should, it doesn't affect shootability.

I guess the main thing is my gun shop treats me rather poorly when I complain about it and ask them to straighten their work. They make me feel like a OCD butthole for asking... I don't know. If I pay for it, I say I should get it. I digress though. What do you gentlemen think?

warpedcamshaft
02-01-12, 00:19
To me that would be unacceptable... what brand front sight is installed?

KCBRUIN
02-01-12, 00:27
It's unacceptable, and I would make them fix it, and never shop there again. There are plenty of shops who want your business and will treat you right to keep it.

polymorpheous
02-01-12, 00:31
Is it a Warren set?

CumbiaDude
02-01-12, 00:31
I think you shouldn't shop there again, if they treat you so poorly. Making them do their jobs right? What a jerk you are ;)

As for the sights themselves, I don't know enough to comment. :)

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-01-12, 00:42
I say **** your gunshop then. You exchanged money for a specified job. They in turn took your money without finishing that job. They now OWE you.

operator81
02-01-12, 01:19
In my experience with different brand sights for Glocks, the front sight is known to turn from side to side in the way you're describing. I have seen this with Meprolight, Heinie, Warren Tactical, etc. In order for the front sight blade to be able to drop into the hole on the front of the slide, there is a little bit of wiggle room allowed. Some brands allow more than others, Meprolight vs Heinie for example. As you tighten the screw on the bottom of the sight to mount it to the slide, the sight tries to rotate the tighter you torque the screw. One trick is to hold the sight blade firmly with pliers (tape the sight blade to avoid marring) as you tighten the screw.

That being said, even with my front sight firmly mounted with the screw loc-tite'd using red loc-tite, every now and again I'll find a front sight blade looking ever so slightly off center. I have not noticed it effecting accuracy POA/POI at all, even out past 50 yards.

Those who are jumping on the F*$K the gunshop bus either don't know squat about how a front sight mounts on a Glock, didn't bother to read that you have a Glock or have never bothered to mount their own sights. That or it is some of TOS issues that have been creeping into this forum as of late.

I have 7 Glocks at the moment and some models when paired with specific brands of sights exhibit this issue more than others. I wouldn't get spun out about it.

KCBRUIN
02-01-12, 01:49
I guess the main thing is my gun shop treats me rather poorly when I complain about it and ask them to straighten their work. They make me feel like a OCD butthole for asking...

How about F the gun shop for this part.

Those who are jumping on the F*$K the gunshop bus either don't know squat about how a front sight mounts on a Glock, didn't bother to read that you have a Glock or have never bothered to mount their own sights. That or it is some of TOS issues that have been creeping into this forum as of late..

I guess I must be from TOS to expect good customer service or respect for someone I'm paying to do a job.

masternave
02-01-12, 06:57
They are Warrens, yes.

The_War_Wagon
02-01-12, 07:49
How important is it for the sights to be completely straight?

How important is hitting your target to you?

Take it BACK, demand they do it right, or make your next call to the BBB. :mad:

aflin
02-01-12, 11:29
F**k them. If you are paying them for a service, they should do the job. The customer is always right.

markm
02-01-12, 11:45
This is common. I wish glock would go to a dovetail front sight system instead of that stupid hole thing.

Most guys probably never notice it. I'm super anal about sight picture... so I hold my sight straight with pliers when installing the sight screw in the bottom.

Nephrology
02-01-12, 11:48
This is common. I wish glock would go to a dovetail front sight system instead of that stupid hole thing.

Most guys probably never notice it. I'm super anal about sight picture... so I hold my sight straight with pliers when installing the sight screw in the bottom.

I think the "stupid hole thing" is quite easy actually.

OP, buy a replacement front sight and install it yourself in the future. It's really easy to do. Ameriglo usually supplies the tool to do the installation when you order from their website. that's the route I'd go.

markm
02-01-12, 11:54
I think the "stupid hole thing" is quite easy actually.

OP, buy a replacement front sight and install it yourself in the future. It's really easy to do. Ameriglo usually supplies the tool to do the installation when you order from their website. that's the route I'd go.

If the sight matched the hole and didn't clock on you, I'd agree.

I use the Ameriglo irons too. It's not a problem for me.... but a real dovetail would be optimal.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-01-12, 12:03
In my experience with different brand sights for Glocks, the front sight is known to turn from side to side in the way you're describing. I have seen this with Meprolight, Heinie, Warren Tactical, etc. In order for the front sight blade to be able to drop into the hole on the front of the slide, there is a little bit of wiggle room allowed. Some brands allow more than others, Meprolight vs Heinie for example. As you tighten the screw on the bottom of the sight to mount it to the slide, the sight tries to rotate the tighter you torque the screw. One trick is to hold the sight blade firmly with pliers (tape the sight blade to avoid marring) as you tighten the screw.

That being said, even with my front sight firmly mounted with the screw loc-tite'd using red loc-tite, every now and again I'll find a front sight blade looking ever so slightly off center. I have not noticed it effecting accuracy POA/POI at all, even out past 50 yards.

Those who are jumping on the F*$K the gunshop bus either don't know squat about how a front sight mounts on a Glock, didn't bother to read that you have a Glock or have never bothered to mount their own sights. That or it is some of TOS issues that have been creeping into this forum as of late.

I have 7 Glocks at the moment and some models when paired with specific brands of sights exhibit this issue more than others. I wouldn't get spun out about it.

Is this serious? So shitty work is acceptable because sometimes it is hard to properly mount a Glock front sight?

markm
02-01-12, 12:17
There should be a jig, adjustable to various front sight widths that hold the sight straight when you tighten it down.

Nephrology
02-01-12, 14:41
There should be a jig, adjustable to various front sight widths that hold the sight straight when you tighten it down.

I have one, actually. It's called my left thumb. I'd lend it to you but I'm kind of attached to it...

markm
02-01-12, 14:43
I have one, actually. It's called my left thumb. I'd lend it to you but I'm kind of attached to it...

How do you calibrate that? :D

ST911
02-01-12, 16:45
Post a picture, and let's see if you're splitting hairs.

That being said, you're the customer and should be entitled to work you paid for. Go back and ask them to fix it. It's a five minute job.

mizer67
02-01-12, 18:24
One minute with a pliers and a little masking tape and you'd save yourself a trip back to the gun shop.

masternave
02-01-12, 18:37
Honestly, I am very very close to buying the tool and doing it myself. It's probably what I'll end up doing.

mizer67
02-01-12, 18:42
Honestly, I am very very close to buying the tool and doing it myself. It's probably what I'll end up doing.

PM me your address, I've got more than a few of the free ones you get when installing Glock front sights lying around, I'll send you one.

But honestly, you don't need it to fix your canted FS.