PDA

View Full Version : Sling Strength

gan1hck
02-01-12, 13:39
Out of curiosity, how much weight can the various slings hold....ie if a rifle were caught in something, and you were to pull real hard...how many pounds of force before the slings break?

Is there a "mil-spec" rating for the minimal amount of weight a rifle sling should be able to withstand.

I imagine the weakest points are where the slings actually attach to the rifle.

rero360
02-01-12, 14:46
Well I don't have a scientific answer for you, but I have a vtac sling mounted to my issued M4 via a CTR stock and DD QD mount up front. While spinning the powered turret in my new truck, M1200 Knight, the sling got snagged on the powered amplifier and bent the aluminum mount, no apparent damage to the sling or any parts of the rifle. So I'd say its a pretty damn strong sling.

0reo
02-02-12, 03:32
With so many options out there its impossible to say how much load any given setup can take. I would imagine most of the quality slings could hold a couple hundred lbs or so on their own but by the time you look at the QD mounts, or clips the number probably goes down a great deal. On some of the light-weight hand guards with built-in QD sockets the aluminum is awful thin, & aluminum is soft. Wouldn't take much to yank the QD swivel right out of the socket.

Generalpie
02-02-12, 03:48
I looked at tubular nylon webbing for making tree stand parts at one time. 1" from one supplier had a tensile strength of about 4000 pounds. I would imagine the other parts of a sling would break before the webbing did on most quality slings.

You would need to find the break point of every part in the chain to get a real answer. Could a barrel take 2 tons of force without damage?

gan1hck
02-02-12, 05:08
the reason I ask, is because I was looking at the quick attach/release swivel on a larue sling, and the construction seems really flimsy.

A similar device at a hardware store has it rated only for 90lbs.....

seems kind of low...http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/snapsling-01.jpg

markm
02-02-12, 07:35
It's funny how much luggage hardware makes it onto weapon slings.

Dave L.
02-02-12, 07:43

I strap slings straight to the gun. I have never needed a "quick detach" feature on a sling to date.

A plastic Fast-X buckle will be the weakest link in any sling.

For the record, anyone concerned with converting between a 1 and 2 point sling during an operation probably shouldn't be there...

markm
02-02-12, 07:49
I strap slings straight to the gun. I have never needed a "quick detach" feature on a sling to date.

A plastic Fast-X buckle will be the weakest link in any sling.

For the record, anyone concerned with converting between a 1 and 2 point sling during an operation probably shouldn't be there...

I agree on all accounts.

Todd00000
02-02-12, 08:57
What are you trying to do, get into an AC duct before your sling slips. :p
http://reeltimepodcast.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/die-hard-christmas-500x250.jpg

yugotprblms
02-02-12, 09:08
http://reeltimepodcast.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/die-hard-christmas-500x250.jpg

Ha, this was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title.

wahoo95
02-02-12, 09:41

LOL.....I had the same thought when I saw that pic then looked down at the strap on my laptop bag!!!

markm
02-02-12, 09:46
If it works for a need, then cool...

I'm a paracord attacher.

Pax
02-02-12, 10:12
I looked at tubular nylon webbing...

Few slings feature tubular nylon webbing. There just really isnt a need for that much strength in this application. That said, certain types of flat Mil-Spec 4088 webbing may reach or exceed 6000 lbs. breaking strength.

OP: Any hardware you see in a hardware store is... hardware you see in a hardware store. Take for example the dimensionally identical QR Snap Shackles available from ParaGear USA. One made of brass will inevitably be inferior to one made of any steel. Do not assume that LaRue uses shitty components because you saw something in a hardware store.

With THAT said, Ive never seen the hardware LaRues using before. Doesnt mean its shit. All Im saying is that there are established attachment methods available with very respectable track records that have been working just fine for decades. QD Swivels, ITW MASH Hooks (some knockoffs are okay), and HK Hooks get the job done. If possible, avoid HK Hooks. MASH hooks will offer the most in security and probably breaking strength. QD Swivels are easier to get on and off the gun. Girth hitched Paracord with a figure eight at its end works fine for weapons without attachment points, but limiting the components of the sling keeps things simple, controllable and reliable.

Iraq Ninja
02-02-12, 10:19
Based on my experiences, if you are "working" around aircraft or vehicles, you may not want an uber strong sling. I want something that can break away if needed, preferably using a quick disconnect. I would never mount a sling directly to the weapon.

That is why I have high hopes for the new rapid emergency detachment swivel from Blue Force Gear. It is not yet listed on their site, but is in their new catalog.

jonconsiglio
02-02-12, 16:45
Based on my experiences, if you are "working" around aircraft or vehicles, you may not want an uber strong sling. I want something that can break away if needed, preferably using a quick disconnect. I would never mount a sling directly to the weapon.

That is why I have high hopes for the new rapid emergency detachment swivel from Blue Force Gear. It is not yet listed on their site, but is in their new catalog.

That knob is just huge though. I'd think they'd just make it a small loop or something similar. I like the idea. All of my VCAS slings have QD's but I remove the release buckles from the sling, which are quicker for me than the QD's.

Pax
02-02-12, 19:04
+1 on the BFG RED, looking forward to testing it out.

Potential advantage I see to BFG's RED over a traditional QR snap Shackle: QD Swivels are easy as pie to reattach to the weapon. That and Snap Shackles usually use a looped pull cord, (snag hazard), whereas the RED uses a tab. Not nearly as hazardous. Ive used a pull tab made of some thin tape style webbing from some North Face shorts to replace my MS2's Shackle's loop. Nice to see manufacturers taking this into consideration.

m1a_scoutguy
02-03-12, 00:01

LOL,,,no shit,,this is the 1st thing that came to my mind also when this topic came up,,LOL !!! Hell John McClane was swingin off his MP5 Sling in a darn elevator shaft and the sling held up fine !!! I think the mount broke first,,,,;) Bottom line is,,I think most slings will hold up much better than there mounting systems !!!!

Terminator2003
02-03-12, 07:46

I agree with this. Having a sling that's too strong can get you killed if snagged on a vehicle, or moving part. That being said, nylon webbing by it's nature is stronger than any of the attachment hardware out there, so that will always be the weak link.;)

jonconsiglio
02-03-12, 08:05
I agree with the comments about the RED, but from the pics I've seen, it's a huge knob and I don't see how it wouldn't get in the way.

Does it do something I'm not aware of like fold down?

Here's all I've seen... It looks like it could easily snap off. -- Well, maybe not easy to snap off since it appears that's a cable and not a thin piece of metal.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/4d4499a5.jpg

Iraq Ninja
02-03-12, 09:06
Jon,

I see this as being applicable to end users who wear gloves, find them selves in austere situations, and need to be able to shed their weapon quickly.

For example, trapped inside a downed helicopter or burning vehicle, or a medic trying to quickly remove a weapon from a causality while covered in blood and dirt.

Think about a hunter in Alaska wearing thick mittens who needs to get his sling untangled with the underbrush.

IMHO, the size is just about right. It allows you to quickly find it even if you can't see it or feel it.

jonconsiglio
02-03-12, 10:34
Jon,

I see this as being applicable to end users who wear gloves, find them selves in austere situations, and need to be able to shed their weapon quickly.

For example, trapped inside a downed helicopter or burning vehicle, or a medic trying to quickly remove a weapon from a causality while covered in blood and dirt.

Think about a hunter in Alaska wearing thick mittens who needs to get his sling untangled with the underbrush.

IMHO, the size is just about right. It allows you to quickly find it even if you can't see it or feel it.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand what you mean and where it would be applicable... I'm just curious about the size. I know this is a niche item, but it appears that it could easily get in the way and would also make slinging your rifle quite uncomfortable, depending on how pliable (not sure if that's the best word here) the post or cable connecting the knob to the QD.

I'm just curious is all as it looks, from the pics, like you'd have something the size of two thumbs sticking directly out from the side of your weapon.

For all I know, that may be a cable that allows the unit to hang or lay along the side of the rifle instead of sticking straight out.

Also, check your PM's about the next few weekends.