PDA

View Full Version : Afghan Optic?

seb5
02-01-12, 20:10
I'm just completing my Afghan build and have a few questions on optics. Since I spent the money on a Noveske fluted Afghan I want to be able to use the accuracy advantages over a standard hammer forged barrel. I've narrowed my choices to either a Meopta 1-4 or a Trijicon TR24. My idea was a jack of all trades type of carbine. I've got several T-1's and a carbine with a NightForce 2.5-10 already. I want this optic to be capable for 0-400. Is this asking too much of a TR24? I've used them in the past and the older TR21 but haven't really stayed current. I know the science behind the red being better for most conditions but also know in my experience the green ACOG's seem much brighter than the red. Is this the same for the TR24's? Is there another optic in the same price range I should consider? I've ruled out the Nightforce 1-4 and SS 1-4 based on what I want and previous experience. Thanks in advance.

newyork
02-01-12, 22:20
I have an Afghan and took off the 2.5-10 I had on it since shooting for groups isn't for me right now. I sold the 2.5-10 and bought the new Meopta for it. I am sighting in on Monday. I only have 200 yds to play with but if you want, I will let you know my opinion when I get to play with her.

aaron_c
02-01-12, 22:21
It's the one I intend to go with (the TR24, that is). I think 400m should be fine for a 1-4x, I mean, in theory it's not much different than shooting at 100 yards with a red dot as far as magnification goes. I don't want any battery-powered scope because they mostly last less than 100 hours, and I'm just not okay with that personally. TR24 is it for me.

TehLlama
02-02-12, 19:00
If 400m is the limit, the TR24 will suffice, and be the lighter package. The color thing is personal preference, I just can't get away from the red triangle for what is easiest to use for me.

At the low zoom the TR24 is as close to a reflex sight as you're going to get without one of the S&B flashdots, and out to 250yds you're still not going to find anything faster for making quick hits on 6x6 and larger targets.

drck1000
02-02-12, 19:49
No previous experience with 1-4x's, but I am currently looking into one for a future rifle. Similar to you, my desire is for a 400 yard/meter gun & optic. I am comfortable with a RDS out to 250 ish range, but I think the 4x would really help in to extend that.

My shortlist includes the TR24, Nightforce NXS and USO SN-4. The USO is quite a bit more than the Accupoints. However, you mentioned that the Nightforce is out based on what you want and previous experience, but if the Nightforce was in your price range, the USO should be about there as well.

Why have you ruled out the Nightforce? Just curious as since I am considering one. Out of the three that I am looking at, I've only been able to handle the Accupoint in person. That and a S&B Short Dot, but that is just a little out of my price range.

seb5
02-02-12, 20:54
I ran a NightForce 1-4 for about 2 years with the FC-2 recticle. It was a great optic but the recticle brightness was not comparable to a RDS, period. I actually used it on a patrol rifle at work but found that it wasn't as versatile as I want on a jack of all type optic. I sold it and went back to T-1's. I've got one with a magnifier and it isn't bad but I find myself wanting more on the precision end. My background is as a law enforcement sniper and I tend to err on the side of accuracy, all other things being equal. Basically I want the best of both worlds and am concerned that I can't get the precision I may want from the TR-24 on the Afghan. I've shot a Swaro 1-6 and really want one but can't justify the cost, maybe later. I've never shot the US Optics models and may look in that direction but the ones I've handled always seemed heavy and clunky compared to other in the same class. I have owned and sold a few other 1-4's over the last few years as well. I keep looking for the 90% answer instead of working with a 70% solution.

TehLlama
02-02-12, 22:51
The Leupold Mk6 might be what fills that gap, but for now if you need something that outperforms the FC2 NF 1-4x for daytime bright, the TR24 is the only game in town below $2k. It just gives up some precision at longer range because of the triangle reticle, and I just don't like the duplex setup up close.

Failure2Stop
02-02-12, 23:21
I think that 1-4s and 1-6s offer the best full-spectrum performance.
The new 1-6 Leupy's look great, but I am still waiting on one to try out.
I have a 1-4 USO DFP coming in. It looks to have some very good attributes.
I have used the Gen 1 S&B ShortDots, and they are a very good option.
The 1-4 SWFA is also a great performer for the price point.
The 1-6 Swaro BRC is a great optic if the weight isn't an issue.

I have a strong preference for mil-based reticles, even at 4 or 6x for use out to 600 meters on torso sized targets. That distance is asking a lot of any 5.56, but you can get work done out there, and 400 is not a ridiculous expectation by any means with any of those optics over a 5.56 gun.

SkiDevil
02-03-12, 02:14
Of the two scopes which you mentioned, I have experience only with the TR24.

For the price it is a very nice optic. I have seen/ used the green and red triangle reticles both seemed fairly bright. That aside, in my opinion, the triangle is not conducive for precision. Something with a reticle would be a better option for precision.

You mention that you ruled-out the SWFA 1-4, but for around the $800-$1K range it seems to be an option to consider (I have no personal experience with this model but others here do). The reticle options, on the SWFA appear to offer a more precise aiming point.

I looked around for quite a while at various 1-4/ 1-6X scopes and ended-up purchasing the S&B Short Dot II w/ CQB reticle (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5872&page=3). For the purpose you describe it would be my first choice. Other than that, I would look at the new Leupold 1-6. And I agree with F2st, the Swaro 1-6X scope is pretty nice too, but expensive as well. I considered it but opted for the S&B because of the turrets/ CQB reticle/ and proven durability.

I was waiting around for more than a year for the "New" models to debut but decided to choose one of the models available now.

FWIW, I don't think you are the only person struggling with the choice of an optic. Selecting one of the various variable power scope models is not easy.

Good Luck in your choice,
SkiDevil

careboy
02-03-12, 02:34
Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/22.gif