PDA

View Full Version : ACOG, best for which setup?

ace4059
02-02-12, 02:02
I have read several threads about the ACOG. Most seem to like it, several hate it.

I am looking at the 4x ACOG (TA31**). The only thing I can see that I wouldnt like is the 1.5" eye relief, and I dont want the 3.5x for the longer eye relief. I want the smaller body and weight of the 31 series.

What I want to know is which would be a better setup. I was looking at the TA 31 M4 model for the 14.5" barrel, but I wanted to make sure that would be the best option as compared to the TA 31 A4 and putting it on a 20" upper. I would use this scope for hunting and range use. Mainly 100 yds or less for hunting, and 400 yds or less for the range.

I am basically at a point where I have a bare 14.5" with attached flash hider and a 20" bare upper and wanted to make an informed decision on which one would be best for the acog. If I put it on the 14.5" it will have the front sight in the way, but from what I read the front sight is not visible with the acog. The 20" is a flat top. I could put an ACOG on the 14.5 and a 3x-9x scope of the 20, or an aimpoint on the 14.5 and an acog on the 20. But I already have one ar with an aimpoint.

Has anyone got an acog on a 14.5" barrel and wished they had got it for a 20" barrel?

cop1211
02-02-12, 02:39
I'd vote for putting the Ta31m4 on the 14.5, and a higher power scope on your 20 inch.

I just got a TA31RCOM4, and like it so far.

ace4059
02-02-12, 03:41
Is the 1.5" eye.relief a big problem? It seems like VERY short eye relief but has it ever hit you in the face?

cop1211
02-02-12, 03:51
It is a recent purchase. I shot 250 rounds to zero, and used it in standing,prone,sitting,and kneeling. The eye relief is fairly short , I shoot ntch, and didnt get smacked. So far,so good.

nimdabew
02-02-12, 14:01
I would get a variable 1-4x scope over an ACOG. Had a TA31F, not a Leupold mark 4 1.5-5. There is almost no comparison for versatility.

TehLlama
02-02-12, 19:12
I have a TA31M4RCO, and use a TA31M16RCO at work. I like them, but still prefer the TR24RT for most uses. Unless you're using it a lot beyond 300yd, the TR24 is going to work a bit better, and the eye relief is a big part of this.

I'd even consider getting a magnifier for your existing aimpoint, and see how that works, and if the 14.5" is reasonably light, definitely worth considering getting it an aimpoint, and buying a 2.5-10x scope for the 20"

sgtrock82
02-02-12, 19:27
Is the 1.5" eye.relief a big problem? It seems like VERY short eye relief but has it ever hit you in the face?

Eye relief is sufficient not to get smacked. I have a ta31rco-m4 on a 16in carbine and I dig it for a dual purpose optic. I think its biggest advantages are its simplicity, ruggedness, and no batteries. I would like more eye relief as I run out of rail space quickly with a buis installed and would like it more with another notch or two back on the rail.(im kicking around removing the buis and running it like that)

While I usually shoot ntch from a static position, my head migrates back down the stock when more movement is introduced. Hence my primary rifle has an rds. Im not an acog expert but I dont think you can get much better eye relief on the ta01 and ta31 chassis scopes. Youll have to look at the larger and smaller models, which I have zero experience with.

If I were to put together 20" rifle id consider another acog. They are, IMO a bit over priced though, the MSRP is rediculous and thats the biggest downside. So id shop around for a used one.

One of the 1-4 or whatever scopes may serve you well, alot of guys like em. For me I tend not to adjust alot of things and just find a happy medium and leave it there, so alot of the features are wasted on me.

cop1211
02-02-12, 19:47
The good thing about ACOG'S is that they hold their value pretty good, worse case scenario is it isnt for you, and you can sell without taking too big of a hit.

Failure2Stop
02-02-12, 21:40

It really isn't an issue with getting scope bite (though there are a lot of scratched-up eye-pro from them), but rather in being extremely limiting in anything but standard firing positions.
The TA31 series is literally the last one I recommend.

ace4059
02-03-12, 01:15
It really isn't an issue with getting scope bite (though there are a lot of scratched-up eye-pro from them), but rather in being extremely limiting in anything but standard firing positions.
The TA31 series is literally the last one I recommend.

So what would you recommend for a 14.5 mid length upper running suppressed. I want an ACOG because of the bullet drop recticle. So that rules out the 1-4x scope (I am thinking about the 3-9x scope for the 20") I would like the ACOG to be lighter and fairly small, hints the reason I was wanting the TA33 vs the TA11.

What advantages does the TA11 offer over the TA33, besides the 1" longer eye relief?

HawaiianM4
02-04-12, 00:13
I have a 4x ACOG (TA31MCO) on a 16". I would get a variable scope for a 20".

The TA31MCO is great for bench, prone and off hand shooting from 25 yards to 400 yards. It is accurate and easy to zero, maintan zero and with a bullet drop feature hit target between these ranges. It is rugged and fits the AR platform. If you bump or drop other scopes it is basically a wreck in you hands. The eye relief is not an issue for me. The ACOG costs alot, but so is fooling around with scopes that dont work and end up in a box on the shelf.

I would recommend a 16" barrel instead of a 14.5". The 14.5" are usually pinned and changing out flash hiders requires unpinning the flash hider and repinning. The 16" flash hiders screw off and new flash hiders screw on.

Failure2Stop
02-04-12, 10:45
So what would you recommend for a 14.5 mid length upper running suppressed. I want an ACOG because of the bullet drop recticle. So that rules out the 1-4x scope (I am thinking about the 3-9x scope for the 20") I would like the ACOG to be lighter and fairly small, hints the reason I was wanting the TA33 vs the TA11.

What advantages does the TA11 offer over the TA33, besides the 1" longer eye relief?

Bullet drop reticles are for the lazy and ignorant. They are intelligent guesses as to where the bullet will go, that's all, and changing muzzle velocity and cartridge type can make a huge difference at ranges at which the BDC is a relevant feature.
A little time with a mil-based reticle will show you how much more you can do, more precisely, and with a wider array of ammo.

The TA33 and TA11s are head and shoulders more versatile than the TA31. Personally, I have owned and like the TA11s. I only got rid of mine due to optic redundancies and consolidation. Still, it isn't as versatile as a decent low-powered variable.

If you are insistent on an ACOG, either the 11 or 33 will be good. I have limited time behind the 33, but in comparison I believed that the 11 had a wider eye-box and a better image. One nice thing about the 33 is the ability to use common flip-up lens covers.