PDA

View Full Version : Glock 26 and a squib load

Beat Trash
02-02-12, 11:21
My agency is finally going to permit the carry of a BUG. (Amazing what can happen when you get the first new Chief from outside the agency in the 211 year history of the Department.)

I was at our range testing some of my smaller 9mm's to see which one I would qualify with. I was shooting from 7 yds weak hand only, 5 rd rapid fire strings.

The ammunition was the Winchester 147gr TMC training load. Normally an excellent training round. What I did not know was that this ammunition had been used during a training class in the rain. The rounds on the bottom of the can had apparently been wet and/or water soaked.

My Glock 26 is about 14 years old. Ultra reliable throughout this time.

During a 5 round string of fire, I had one round produce excessive recoil. I wasn't able to register what had happened before I fired the next round.

What I know for sure is that the slide stop spring had been bounced out of the notch it rides in on the pin above it. And that my middle finger was now numb. It took about 10 minutes before any feeling returned to my finger.

Before comprehending what had happened, another shooter fired 20 rounds through the gun. The only issue was no spring tension on the slide stop.

What I think happened is that a squib load left a bullet stuck in the barrel when the next round was fired, pushing both bullets out the barrel.

I have detail stripped the gun and visually inspected everything. Nothing is cracked or bulged.

Would you send this gun back to Glock to be inspected?

I called Glock and of course they stated it should be sent back just to ensure nothing was wrong. They stated they would check the barrel, and due to the age of the gun, they would inspect and update any other parts while they had the gun.

With all the horror stories I read about new Glock and ejection issues, I'm not in a big hurry for them to update anything on a reliable gun.

Help me out please. Should I be worried about the gun due to what happened? If so, should I be concerned about my gun being updated and no longer being as reliable as when it was shipped to they?

JSantoro
02-02-12, 11:37
Call 'em back, and find out if they're willing to inspect ONLY, and that you are to be contacted to discuss any and all parts-swaps, adjustments, refurbishings, goat sacrifices, etc. are conducted.

Even if they'd roger up to that, what's to say that whichever Keebler Elf at the shop that gets his mitts on it isn't just gonna swap stuff out, anyway? I don't wanna imply that their SC is bad, just that they're big enough for word like that to not get passed to whichever technician your gun may ends up, be it via typical Glock know-it-allness, or simple oversight brought on because somebody's excited that it's keilbasa day in the cafeteria.

I'd send it in with instructions, taped to the gun in an envelope that reads "READ ME BEFORE INSPECTION" in a garish color ink.

It is in no way unreasonable to expect accountability from them. It's your gun, not theirs.

DocH
02-02-12, 12:22
Call 'em back, and find out if they're willing to inspect ONLY, and that you are to be contacted to discuss any and all parts-swaps, adjustments, refurbishings, goat sacrifices, etc. are conducted.

Even if they'd roger up to that, what's to say that whichever Keebler Elf at the shop that gets his mitts on it isn't just gonna swap stuff out, anyway? I don't wanna imply that their SC is bad, just that they're big enough for word like that to not get passed to whichever technician your gun may ends up, be it via typical Glock know-it-allness, or simple oversight brought on because somebody's excited that it's keilbasa day in the cafeteria.

I'd send it in with instructions, taped to the gun in an envelope that reads "READ ME BEFORE INSPECTION" in a garish color ink.

It is in no way unreasonable to expect accountability from them. It's your gun, not theirs. This exactly! Especially the last part.

okie john
02-02-12, 12:22
I'd definitely be concerned. You're assuming that your pistol is fine because it looks OK. There could be cracks or other issues that you're not seeing, so I'd ship it back for a full technical inspection by the manufacturer. But bear in mind that once it's in their hands, they'll do with it as they please. Your wishes and instructions will not change this.

One part of this is them covering themselves legally by upgrading worn parts on your pistol. You're far more likely to damage it in training again than to use it in a gunfight, and that's the legal exposure they care about most.

Another part is that their best and brightest are NOT in tech support. I recently returned a G17 with a note clearly describing that it hit a foot high at 50 yards and asking them to fix the problem. They replaced the modified competition magazine catch with a new one. They also removed the maritime spring cups and an aftermarket butt plug that I had installed, and returned them to me in a baggie. Then they test fired it at 10 and 15 yards and sent it back with an invoice stating that it was within factory spec. (When I called Glock and asked to talk to the guy whose name was on the test targets, they said they didn't have anyone by that name working there.) The end result is that I have no idea what else they did to my pistol, so I consider it back at square one, completely unproven, until I get another 1,000 trouble-free rounds through it.

What matters is that you're betting your life on this pistol. It may have suffered damage that could endanger your life if ignored. Getting it properly repaired and retesting it for reliability is part of the cost of doing business. That said, the more this kind of stuff happens to me, the more interested I am in getting duplicates of my serious guns.

Okie John

JHC
02-02-12, 13:10
Send it back without the trusted extractor.

Good story. Thanks

F-Trooper05
02-02-12, 14:04
Send it back without the trusted extractor.

Good story. Thanks

I would definitely take out the extractor before I sent it off. If they replaced that thing I'd be pissed.

bigghoss
02-02-12, 15:56
Defiantly a good idea to have glock inspect it. I would think that with a squib load the gun would jam but it's possible it cycled it. I would guess maybe a slightly overcharged round or maybe somebody's bad handload got miked in there. I guess it doesn't matter much now what happened, just have it thoroughly check out.

Hellfire
02-02-12, 16:33
I live in the Atlanta area and have made several visits to Glock. One was for service on a very used G23 Gen 2, that started developing feeding and extraction issues. I had bought the gun used in the mid 90's, previous owner had installed an aftermarket extended slide release. When the technician returned the gun to me, he had replaced the aftermarket slide release with a standard Glock, but he had placed the extended slide release in a small zip-loc and returned it as well.

I would imagine that any part you wished to keep that wasn't damaged would be your for the asking, but I would also imaging that any part that had a newer version would get replaced. I would be specific and clear with what you would like to keep, but I am sure that liability issues on their end would not allow them to return anything they feel might have been damaged.

Beat Trash
02-02-12, 16:35
I guess if I don't send it back to be full inspected, then in the back of my mind, I'll always wonder if it's safe.

I think I'll definitely pull the extractor and hang onto it so it doesn't get "upgraded".

nobody knows
02-02-12, 18:36
I would definitely gut the good parts first, they really only need the barrel, slide, and frame. I would take everything else out except for maybe the rsa if it needs changing, you can get a free one out of it that way.

SkiDevil
02-02-12, 23:11
Yes,
I agree that sending in the pistol for an inspection is prudent.

I have had two pistols serviced by Glock. When the pistols arrived at their facility, I was contacted before the work was completed.

One pistol was a Gen 2 and I specifically requested some of the parts not to be changed or replaced, like the trigger because the many rounds fired smoothed/ lightened it considerably. They followed my request.

I spoke with a customer service rep. on the phone before sending the gun in and included a written copy of the work required as well as a contact phone number for the technician.

I have not sent-in a gun recently for service but I doubt there has been drastic changes in their service department.

Lastly, if you inform them that the pistol is for duty use the turn-around time should be pretty fast.

Good Luck,
SkiDevil

P.S. Nice choice for a BUG, I'm torn between a G26 and the HK 2000SK.

Mike169
02-03-12, 06:19
Sounds like you already sent it out, so my point is moot, but I'll make it anyhow.

The reloader in me says that's not a squib. It's always been my understanding that squib rounds will blow up the barrel and cause visible bulging and cause the gun to be non functional. With that said it was definitely a good call to send it to glock, no idea what could be wrong.

R0CKETMAN
02-03-12, 06:49
No need to send it if you're familiar with it enough to detail strip. It should have been evident why the slide stop had no tension. Either broken wire, pin, stop, or installed improperly.

Replace if necessary, reassemble, and back to the range.